iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Electric Chain Sharpeners or File??

Started by lostyooper6, July 24, 2011, 01:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lostyooper6

I do most my cutting along roads and in hedgerows, the trees are imbedded with dirt rocks, etc.  Frequently a good chain is almost dull beyond use by th end of my 1st tank of gas.  I bought an electric sharpener from harbor freight and it does an ok job, but still is never as good as a new chain or a good file sharpening.  Am I doing something wrong?  I have also sharpened chains on my neighbors much higher quality electric sharpener with the same effects.  Thoughts, suggestions,advice?

mad murdock

nothing works better for me than a file.  I have used electric rotary grinders, i.e. dremel type tools, and a file works way better, chain stays sharper longer, and sharpening goes quicker with a file.  The only machine type sharper that does close to a file is a silvey type grinder setup, which is not quick, since you have to unmount the chain to sharpen it.  Files are cheap as well.  Buy them by the dozen (Bailey's), and use a sharp file to make the job more effective and easier.  If your cutting is in alot of dirt like you say, then stick with a semi-chisel chain, it will not dull as fast as a full chisel tooth, also, if you are in softwood, use a semi-skip or full skip-tooth chain, which will speed up the sharpening process, since you won't have s many cutters to dull.  FWIW :)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Buck

I have both and a file is the way to go.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

millwright

I agree with the general opinion of electric vs files. I bought one of the 12v elec grinders and I think I used it 1 time before going back to the file.

ladylake

With a good operator either way works fine, bad operator neither way works.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

WoodHacker

Happiness is a sharp file.

That said, I have the Oregon 511a chain grinder and it beats the heck out of a file when it comes to regrinding damaged teeth.  If the chain is dull, I use a file.  After hitting a rock or nail, I grind.  Keeping the rakers filed back to the proper level will make those chains cut like new...
Butch

RPF2509

If you're in the dirt and rock alot a carbide tipped chain might be the ticket.  The drawbacks are expensive and need special tool to resharpen - maybe just stick with a file

Ianab

Only time I think an electric sharpener would be better is if you are trying to recover a badly damaged chain, after trying to saw a concrete post, rock, railroad spike etc. When you need to actually hog off a decent chunk of the cutter to get back into clean metal.

If the chain has just gone a bit dull from normal use or dirt in the bark, then the file is basically as quick, and with a bit of practice will give you a better result.

With even a small amount of practice you can get a chain cutting "good as new" with a file and guide. An expert could take a new chain out of the box, file it, and get it cutting "Better than new".

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

John Mc

I prefer filing, and have found I get better results than taking it to most of the shops around here (some of them are much better than others).

Of course, I don't own an electric sharpener of any sort, and as my tag-line says, "If the only tool you have is a hammer..."
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

de-dubya

I too bought a 12v electric sharpener, thinking it would be better in the field, faster and back in the wood sooner.  Used it one time.  Maybe it was the stones, but 1 stone didn't make it through the first chain.  By the time I finished a 20" loop th estone was way under sized for the cutter.  So it sits in my tool box draw, I removed the saw guide and now use it as a 12v dremel for odds and ends (since it will except all the dremel cutters). 

BTW - 1st post on here, like the looks of this place.

dw
Just another peckerwood that lives in the hills with too many guns.

STIHL
MS 192
MS 361
MS 660

justintimemoto

i have a oregon 511ax grinder the only time i use it not is when the chain gets bad from rocks or nails besides that i use a file.......unless i dont know how to use my grinder well ???  for the right angles ?
ms660 372xp 455 rancher

2006 suzuki rm 125 for sale

thecfarm

If I had a grinder I would have to learn all over again on how to sharpen a chain. I just do it by hand. After more than 30 years I'm pretty good at it now. The first year was kinda rough. ;D I know what you mean about cutting by the road. When the trim trimmers cut the ROW under the lines they leave the stumps about a foot high.  ::) But I can't blame them either. Gets them out of the dirt and grit.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

de-dubya 

Welcome to the forum. I've a couple of those stones and had the same experience. Seems with all the gadgets and jigs, I end up back with the hand file and get the chain sharpened better and faster.  I do however like the small jig by Pferd that Husqvarna peddles.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Johnny

sometimes the thought of standing there catching up on the filing of 10 chains is too much, so i get out the oregon 12v mini grinder that clamps on the bar, find the nearest thing with a battery, and then with a bit of patience to set it up you can sit there on a stool just nip nip nip, very easy and all teeth about the same length.  this gadget has a wheel and if you're kind you can avoid blueing the tip and it doesn't seem to wear very quick.  just little touch to reshape it with the stone that came with it.  but it does need patience and ain't too robust.  in fact had to customise it a little when it was new to get it to sit right!  but mostly the file and guide (and one of those oregon chain clamps) does the job good.  the mains powered grinders where you can drape the chain over the clamp and grind: they do look like they'd do a good job!

Al_Smith

I've got a rotary Dremel type .The only time I use it is on a rocked chain or when I build a race chain .It removes material at a faster rate but the finish is always with a file .

Now on that junk in a fence row find yourself some old fashion chipper chain .I think Carlton might still make it .It doesn't cut as fast as semi chisel or full chisel but it will take more abuse .Baileys may handle it for all I know .

maple flats

When I'm cutting I carry a file and sharpen as needed. For my help I keep several spare loops and have them change the chain. Then in the shop I sharpen when I get time and if I have enough to bother with.
For my grinder I use a Maxx and it works very well.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

shelbycharger400

i use a dremel
not shure where i will get new stones again, but the ones i use came for use in machining aircraft metals (hastelloy)
some are blue.. they last forever and hold their shape until they "gum up" from the oil and pitch, other ones i have are brown and dark red.
the ones you buy in the store are way too soft.

i have found thier is a real science goin on.  i know now what to look for when sharpening,  its best on a sunny day, watch the cutter so it dosnt turn blue,   and watch as the cutter forms a razor edge, and where the "roll back" on the top of the  chain cutter goes away when sharpening.      im using oregon chains on my saws.  sand seems to be the biggest killer in my case.

shinnlinger

I am a fan of the file, but I have been known to chuck one in a drill from time to time.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

NCFarmboy

I am a tool guy!!!  I have a New GB Maxx w/1/8" CBN wheel, Used Foley Belsaw 308 w/3/16" wheel, Used Oregon 511A (on the shelf for sale) , New northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company 1/4" wheel auto feed for rakers, Dremel, Granberg Dremel style amd 12v dremel style.  If I had to do it again, knowing what I now know I should have sprung for the Silvey.  All do a good job CBN wheel does the best.  Primarily use them for rocked chains.  The main thing with machine grinding is setup, get angles correct.  Use a new chain to set angles.  The angle guides are probably off.  55* 25* 0* seems to be best angles.  Don't take too much off the cutter at the time.  Having said all that a hand file w/ Husky guide for your chain size gives sharpest chain.  Just a note IMO the NT machine is the best bang for the buck.  Use it for rocked then hand file w/guide.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

Thank You Sponsors!