iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"view first unread" (post)

Started by maple flats, July 24, 2011, 07:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maple flats

I am a member of 3 or 4 other forums and they each have a tab in each thread to click to take me to my "first unread post". Does the FF offer this and I just missed it or do we not have this option? If not, I really like that feature in the other forums. It is much easier than looking thru to see which show as read. Maybe I'm just not doing things right. Please advise if that is the case.
Dave
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

fishpharmer

mt,
You may be looking for the words on top just left of center under the FF logo...
"show my unread posts".  I think thats what your talking about?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Banjo picker

James has got you goin in the right direction...but you have to open one of the forums...ex forestry and logging, before that feature will appear there...at least thats the way it is on my machine...two options there one for topics you have posted in one for just unread stuff...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Shotgun

Here's how I read the FF.   Click here https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php .  Scroll down the page all the way to the next to the last section, entitled "Forum Stats."  Click on "View the most recent posts on the forum."  Bookmark it or save it as a favorite. I have it set as an icon on my Bookmarks Toolbar (FireFox).  Then click on it to read the last 100 (Yes, 100) posts. Some folks don't care for it that way, I guess.  For me it's the only way.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

gunman63

isnt that what the little yelllow icon that says "new" is  for  right after the subject?

Jeff

Quote from: gunman63 on July 24, 2011, 08:34:34 AM
isnt that what the little yelllow icon that says "new" is  for  right after the subject?

Yes. You click on the little yellow new icon and that takes you to the unread posts, If you just click on the name of the topic, it takes you to the beginning instead.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

As Shotgun said, that is also how I view the forum posts. But viewing that way will drop off some of the profile info of the poster. One I miss is the location, but can be found by clicking the name of the thread and going to that post in that thread.
I like the setup of the forum as it is now.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bibbyman

As often I'm on the Forum I probably miss 95% of it.  I've never used "View first unread".   I always hit Sawmill section and follow a few post but not all.  Sometimes I'll scan the General section and a few others.  But many I've never ventured into.

I guess my brain is just too old and slow to take in everything.  ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

pineywoods

Forum software has a neat feature for us information junkies. On the login or home page, you are presented with a list of forums available,scroll down and click on the desired forum. Instead, click on the green bar just to the right, leaving the forum selection blank. This effectively logs you on to EVERY form. Right underneath the Forestry Forum logo is a small line that says "show my unread posts or show new replies to my posts". Click on that and you get all unread posts in all forums. WARNING, don't do this if you have been inactive for several days. I try to log on once a day, usually takes about 30 minutes to read everything.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Bro. Noble

I do like Shotgun and Beenthere.  If I miss some posts,  I can always click on the thread if there is one I am especially interested in.  It doesn't take so long, and I don't feel like I miss anything. 

I wouldn't want to limit myself to only a few boards,  cause you can never tell what's going to show up on any thread.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Shotgun

Quote from: beenthere on July 24, 2011, 09:00:23 AM
As Shotgun said, that is also how I view the forum posts. But viewing that way will drop off some of the profile info of the poster. One I miss is the location, but can be found by clicking the name of the thread and going to that post in that thread.
I like the setup of the forum as it is now.

Beenthere, Just click on the "username" of any post if you're interested in the location. That takes you to the users profile, which will show you any information that might be provided on that poster anywhere else.

However, some folks just don't seem to (1) want to, (2) know how, (3) or care about providing profile info.  A general location description would sure be great. Like NW Ohio, Panhandle FL, or whatever, if you don't want to be too specific.  The map offered is too specific for my tastes.

Norm

Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

tyb525

I always click "Show my unread posts or Show new replies to my posts"
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

LeeB

You would think as long as I've been a member that I would know about clicking on the "new" tab. Glad to find out about it. When I'm traveling I sometimes have to go several days without my forum fix. My memory is pretty wellnon existant and I can never remeber where I left off last. This knowlege will save me from rereading so many posts. You learn something new all the time around here.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Autocar

I guess my mind is like Bibbymans I can get to some things but often throw the towel in on the others  ;) Nothing wrong with all the new ways but to be honest I like my slow pace of life.
Bill

SwampDonkey

Some fellows go through life 90 miles an hour don't they Autocar? I get a chuckle out of some of you farts. :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

As do we from the SD farts.  :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

maple flats

Even old geezers can still learn if we ask the right questions. I should have know that was in the system somehow. The others just list it differently and I was too inflexible.
Thanks, I can handle it now. Ya Ho, Ya Hoo!!!!
Simple Dave
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!