iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to forum, what to charge for boards.

Started by nhhunter2010, July 23, 2011, 10:27:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nhhunter2010

Hello All,  I am new to the sawmill lifestyle.  I bought a mill in the end of May, and have been playing (cutting)  around the house.  I have a bunch of pine on my land.  I have been approached by town people to sell some of my very clean pine, I was wondering what the going rate is in the North East for clean pine. Or where I could look it up, I am aslo looking for different prices for the different species in the North East. (is there a standard somewhere that everyone works off of).
 I love this site, it has awnsered many questions that I had, and many I never thought of.    I have a Hudson Oscar 230 with the extension to cut 20' logs.  I love it, and with my  jobs schedule, it may be turning into a nice second income.

Magicman

First, Welcome nhhunter2010, to the Forestry Forum.

I seldom sell lumber, but when I do, I go to a building supply store and price their lumber.  For green/undried lumber, I like to be somewhere in the 75% range.  I like for the customer to get some sort of a bargain.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bibbyman

It's kind of like my cousin's advice on how tight to tighten lug nuts.  "Tighten them until they twist off and then back off a little." 

I don't think you can compete with common size lumber.  But if you are supplying the customer with something he can't get somewhere else,  then you can charge more than what the lumber yards charge.

Pine?  I don't do pine so I don't have a clue.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

bandmiller2

Welcome NHhunter,I'am no authority but I usally charge 50 to 65 cents a bf for common pine boards,right around a dollar a bf for oak.Unusual stuff a little more, big order a little less.I always give the customer "full measure pressed down and running over".Do you sharpen your own bands??  Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

red oaks lumber

welcome
i sell eastern white pine green .65b.f. air dry .75 b.f. kiln dry .98 b.f. any beams bigger than 6x6 it goes to 1.15 .bf
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Ernie

First  Welcome nhhunter2010

Second, are you aware that we like mill and milling pictures.  Actually almost any pictures ;D

Third  How deep are your customer's pockets.  In NZ clear pine milled to customer's specs is very worthwhile doing.

Did I mention, we like pictures?
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

paul case

welcome to the forestry forum.
i sell my oak lumber out the door for $.60 but the markets here dont pay that much for it unless it is fas.
well there ya go. i answered a question you didnt ask.
my advise, get as much as you can get.

i also price the lumberyard stuff.  a customer called with an order for serveral lengths of 1x6 for fence boards a while back. the 12' ones i cut cost$3.60. lumberyard price was $9. it made me some money and he thought he got a good deal , and he did. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

nhhunter2010

Thanks for the comments.. I am sure I will have more questions.  I do not sharpen my own blades, My local hardware has a guy that comes weekly and picks them up and returns them a week later. I will work on the pics.  My next project is making a saw shed on my property, I will post my progress.

Papa1stuff

Welcome to the FF.
I was born in Grafton NH a few years ago ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Thank You Sponsors!