iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Venture at Whittaker Farms

Started by Corley5, July 22, 2011, 11:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

As a result of taking several courses at NCMC our local comm. college over the past year we have entered into a new operation.  Cold hardy wine grapes.

A forest of posts.  I used 10' utility poles for the end posts sunk 5' in the ground.  Hopefully I won't need braces by going so deep but if I do they can be added.  The line posts are 100" northern white cedar.

The very 1st vine in the ground.  A Kay Gray white wine/table grape.  That's Aaron  :)

Augering the holes and planting the last of 800 vines.  These were Elviras.  A white wine grape.  There are also Marquettes a red grape and Valiants a black grape.  200 hundred of each variety were planted with 100% survival  :o 8) 8) 8).  I've had to water once and had a battle with rose chafer beetles which I won with the help of Sevin  8)  We should have a partial marketable crop in three years and a full crop in 5.

The crew Ryan, Bob, John and Aaron.  And me  ;D

The most important crew members Zach and Zander

The plan calls for us to have between 4 and 5 thousand vines in the ground by May of 2015 and to have our winery license in place before that.  Eventually we want to produce "estate bottled" wines of both grape and other fruit varieties but plan to initially sell grapes to one or more of several local wineries that are online and coming online in the next couple years.  We'll put our own label on wines made from our grapes by one of them to begin with.  This a fledgling industry in our area based on cold hardy varietals.

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

Awesome. You and Pete can talk Vino at the pigroast. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WildDog

Looks like you have plenty of help. :) Nice looking place, good luck with your new venture.

I live in one of the coldest places in Aus and there is a successfull cold climate vinyard just out of town.

Their website, http://wrightrobertson.com.au/
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

fishpharmer

Corley, if those grapes take off and grow like them boys, you'll have a bumper crop. :)

Looking forward to pics of the vineyards development.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

SwampDonkey

Wow, that's quite the set up. And lots and lots of work ahead. Nice posts there, and the tractor is the right color as well. ;D Looks like a nice piece of land there, so wishing you well on your new venture. Besides, nice way to keep the boys busy. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

Wow Corley no wonder we've not heard from you lately!

Thanks for sharing, Zander and Zach are growing like weeds.  :)

Mooseherder

Patty

Well how cool is that!  Iowa has really gotten back into the grape growing / wine making scene, and I think it is awesome! I love to see folks venture out into alternative crops, good for you Corley!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Magicman

How long will it take those vines to grow large enough to produce grapes?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ernie

Quote from: Corley5 on July 22, 2011, 11:50:54 PM
Hopefully I won't need braces by going so deep but if I do they can be added. 

If you have properly footed and blocked the strainer posts, they should be good.

Looks like a great new venture, We wish you the best of luck.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Corley5

We should have a partial crop from this planting in 2013.  There will be grapes next year but to encourage vine and root development any clusters will be removed as soon as possible.  I've pinched off three bunches this season :)  Cropping grapes too soon can injure the vines.  This year we are letting the vines grow as they may to encourage root growth and the storage of as much energy as possible in the root system as the vines harden off at the end of the growing season.  Next spring we'll prune them heavily back to two buds,install the trellis wires and begin training the new growth on to them.  By pruning them heavily the new growth will benefit from the stored energy in the roots and they'll literally grow like weeds  ;D :)
  It's something different for sure  8)

Mooseherder

Do the Vines require any type of covering over Winter?
This has my interest peaked.  Are you going to go with Stainless tanks?

Corley5

The varietals we've selected are all rated for hardiness in USDA Zone 3 with no winter protection required  8)  The Marquettes, Kay Grays, and Elviras are good to 30 below plus.  The Valiants are super tough.  They're grown well north into Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta and have borne a crop after winter lows of more than 40 below zero F.
  Intially we'll go with food grade plastic tanks.  They're cheap  ;D  Stainless may come later depending on our rate of success  :)

Mooseherder

We went to this Winery last year on the way back from the Keys.  
They were fermenting in Plastic tanks outside under cover then transferring into stainless tanks.  They were the square type with wire cages on pallets around 4x4x4.
The bottling is what surprised me as they only bottle 4 at a time.  It is still a smaller type operation that was interesting.  You can see their tanks that they had in a refrigerated room.  It was a nice room to be in.

http://schneblywinery2.ning.com/photo/albums/winery-photos

SwampDonkey

Grapes grow wild way up here, so I suspect some breeding of grapes has produced some nice northern hardy grapes.  :)

Down around Woodstock to Nackawic, the old route 2 highway along the river has wild vines growing onto the guard rails and break down lanes. The old railway bed and line fence rows have tons of vines near the St John River valley. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Corley5

The Valiant is the result of a cross between a wild riparian variety from the Milk River Valley in Montana and Fredonia.  Many universities have breeding programs for cold hardy varieties.  The Univ of Minn, Iowa and Cornell especially.  The late Elmer Swenson is known worldwide for his work developing these varieties and many are his creations.
  Sounds they were doing primary fermentation in the plastic and 2ndary in stainless.  Fermenting outside with no temp control especially in Fla sounds risky to me

Dan_Shade

awesome!

There used to be a lot of tobacco farms here, many of them today are planting grapes and trying to make a go of the vineyards.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

We have 4 Batches in progress.  3 of them will be a year old September 1st. ;)

SwampDonkey

Not only wine, but read most any dark juice label and see grape juice used as sweetener.  ;)

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jim king

I dont know what is the magic with grapes but thousands of people including this one dream of doing what you are doing.

WDH

Quote from: Mooseherder on July 25, 2011, 04:48:56 AM
We have 4 Batches in progress.  3 of them will be a year old September 1st. ;)

You better hurry up and drink it before it goes bad.  If it is too much for you, then send some to me and I will help you get rid of it ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

Thank You Sponsors!