iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kinda wondering

Started by EZ, January 09, 2004, 06:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ

Here in Ohio we have these Zebra Mussels, I dont no if other states have them yet, but they are a pain when they get in lakes or even ponds. They are about the size of a dime, and have a hard shell on them, and when they get in a lake they pretty much take over the lake. They cling to everything and cover it. I know in Lake Erie, they are becoming a big threat to the waters.
Has any one ever sawed a log with these things all over it, and if so how long did your blade last.
EZ

Fla._Deadheader

No Zebra's, but, we saw white clams, crawdad's, Snail's, eel's and such. Sparks fly and the blade does get dull, but, LOVE THEM MONKEY'S.  I ordered 5 more today and was PROMISED they would get your's out, EZ.??? We will see ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

I heard something about them. They're another one of those exotic species that came here accidentally, like on a pine cone from India, or a Chinese rabbit. ::)  I'm afraid we're in for an ever increasing barrage of these kind of things, where there are good growing conditions for them, but no natural predators to control them. ???  We've got to get a handle on this sort of thing, or every dollar we can earn will be spent on protecting ourselves from invasive pests that our "free trade" policies bring us.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

They were here first. They entered the great lakes via the saint Lawrance seaway in the ballast of foreign freightors. They have completely changed the face of the great lakes. They were spread to inland lakes from fisherman by exchange of more then likely, live well reservoirs. They clog water intakes, and all kinds of other things that cost money. They filter so much water that they clear it to the point that they disrupt eco systems dependant on algaes and other microscopic life.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kirk_Allen

Way to go Jeff!  Your post hit the nail on the head.

It was because of the Zebra mussles that a new international laws on balast water was implemented.  Vessals are required to empty balast water within 3 miles of their last port.  This was supposed to prevent the spread of the local parasites to other ports, such as the Zebra musscles.

I forgot the name of the law but it was a close freind of mine who was in the coast gaurd that helped to write the new law many years ago.

I know that now lake Michigan is clearer than ever before because of them but there are many downsides as mentioned.  

I know during numerous training I did with the Chicago Fire Department Fire Boat there were numerous ocassions which those pesky critters were pulled into the pumps and caused nozzles to clog.  They now have to regulary remove them to prevent problems during an actual fire call.

CHARLIE

Zebra mussels came into Lake Superior at Duluth too. Now they are in a bunch of our lakes and rivers including the Mississippi River. The Minnesota DNR is trying all kinds of things to try and kill them but the things are very pervasive.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Corley5

They're in Burt, Mullet, and Black Lake well actually the whole Inland Waterway is infected with them.  They've also shown up in some of the smaller landlocked lakes here also.  The shells are hard on bare feet when they wash up on a beach.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

EZ

At my favorite fishing lake it is full of them. When I go there I always troll for Walleye, sometimes I jig but trolling is my favorite. Many times I would have a big boy on and lose it cause the Zebra's have that reel sharp edge on the backside of them and cut the line. Well at least that is what I tell my wife. ;D
EZ

Furby

They showed up in the little lake we go to a few years back.  
It seems the small panfish love them.

Ron Scott

They are showing up more and more on the shallow water shipwrecks in the Great Lakes. They are generally found in the shallower waters (6 to 30 feet deep), algae-rich water. They usually grow in clusters which adds to their causing problems.

They are the "only" freshwater mollusk that firmly attaches itself to solid objects, including rocks, boat hulls, water intake pipes, etc.

The Michigan Sea Grant Extension Office and its agents have had an ongoing alert out for them and asks for public assistance in reporting zebra mussel sightings in new locations to help prevent its spread to our inland lakes and rivers.

Call Michigan Sea Grant Extension Office (517-353-9568 ) or call the Sea Grant Agents in western Michigan (616-846-8250); Upper Peninsula (906-228-4830) or eastern Michigan (313-469-6085).

~Ron

Tom

Are they good to eat. :-/ ;D

Blackened Red Fish (channel bass) became so popular that fishing regulations were implemented to curtail the harvest.

I can see the headlines now.

Zebra Chowder Endangers Mollusk Population
Environmental Group Stages Drown-in

In the wake of the recent run on Mollusk Harvest,
floods of environmentalist are anchoring themselves to the
floor of Lake Huron in protest of the annihilation
of a small mussel that was once prolifically existing
in the waters of the Great Lakes.

"The waters are becoming so dirty that you can no
longer see the bottom at the old swimming hole", said
Jourke Snerdbottom as he waded into the shallows
with his anchor. "And all because of the abuse
of nature by a bunch of old, fat diners", he said.

The once pristine waters of the Lakes has seen a
serious degradation since the use of the mollusk
was initiated by a bunch of loggers in upper..............etc.

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D :D

Sawmilling must be kinda slow these days eh Tom?

Darn wanna-be freelance writers  ;D

ha ha ha
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Fla._Deadheader

HEY, Do them things actually CLEAR UP the water  :o :o ?????????  30 feet is about the mean depth we work. ::) ;) ;) ;)

Maybe I need to get some seed stock and plant 'em in the St.John's ??????? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

:D :D :D :D :D

In a land where pig snouts, fried pig ears, pickled pig's feet, neck bones, back bones, pig tail soup, ox tail soup, boiled chicken necks, chicken feet, tripe, fried gizzards, hog jowl, chitterlin's and other wonders of a Southern culinary diet gracethe table, Zebra's wouldn't last long. :D :D :D

Minnesota_boy

Making chowder out of Zebra mussels should keep you southern gentlemen busy, as they are only 1 to 1 1/2 inches long.  Should take quite a while to shuck them out.  ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Tom

Why shuck'em? throw'em in the pot just like you took'em out'a the water.  Be like Perriwinkle soup. Those suckers are about half as big as your pinky nail. :D  Makes good tasting water but you gotta add lots of 'taters-n-stuff to have something to chew. :D

Ron Scott

Yes, they really clear up the water getting rid of any algae. They make for good visibility waters for divers. That is one of their pluses, but they grow in hard clusters containing numerous individuals attaching to everything else.

There isn't much left in the underwater environment other than zebra mussel reefs as such. Not much to look at and any logs might be harder to find or salvage under their infested growth.

~Ron

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks, Ron. Don'T believe we have an algae problem. This is Tannic acid, I think. Chlorine will clear it, but, it's a BiiiiiiiG river. ::) ::) ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!