iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

used woodmizer inspection points

Started by jdonovan, July 22, 2011, 07:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdonovan

I've got a line on a used LT40-super  (I believe LT40HDD51-RA) near me and am headed to look at it this weekend.

Are there specific things I should be inspecting for condition/damage?

Does this mill have any specific weak points I should be looking at?

Other general suggestions on how to inspect a used sawmill?

Bibbyman

Have I got a deal for you!

ElectricAl put out a YouTube video on everything you ever needed to know about buying a used Wood-Mizer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=OcHVxATFvlc

Looks like Al has enbeding disabled but you should be able to go to his YouTube channel and it'll fire up.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

jdonovan

Excellent!

Didn't think to search youtube

inspectorwoody

That is an excellant video.  8)

Helped me when I was looking at mine.  :)

Bibbyman

Keep in mind that the model you're looking at is way newer and has many more features than the old model Al is talking about.  Some of the things he's pointing out may not even be on the model newer model.  And this RA model will have a lot of electronics that Al's WM does not.  The RA with Accuset and cable tray adds a lot of "stuff". 

Check to see if the Accuset is the second version – Accuset 2.   It's much better than the first attempt and the old one can't be repaired so if it goes bad, you must upgrade.   And that would be costly. 
Sawing since '94

jdonovan

Just watched the video, very informative.

QuoteCheck to see if the Accuset is the second version – Accuset 2.
The owner says it has accuset2.

Bibbyman

I was just out sawing and though of this.  I made a video of our LT40SHD25-RA.  It's a 2002 model with 5,000 hours on it.  It was not made to show wear and weak points but does show what a LT40 Super may look like with 5,000 hours.  It also has the RA option that I talk about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2Jx3bekr1M

Our mill is 3ph elecric and stationary so .... it's not like apples and apples but close.

Some of the diesel engines has issues for some owners.  The same engines ran fine for many.  That may be something to ask about but I didn't keep up with all the engine problems as we have an electric motor.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

The videos are interesting and informative even if they are of a different sawmill.  Thanks Bibby.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bibbyman

JD.   Do you have any specifics on the mill that would maybe help us give you pointers?

Engine?
Year?
Number of hours?
Used under roof?  Always in open?

I think too,  if you had the serial number you may be able to call Wood-Mizer and find out the history of the mill.  If it had other owners,  major updates, etc.  Also,  if you have any reason to suspect that the owner is not really the owner,  Wood-Mizer can tell you that too.  They've saved a number of people from buying a mill from someone that didn't own it.
Sawing since '94

jdonovan

I believe 2008 model
51hp cat Diesel
800 +/- hours
in the open, big field.
has lubemizer and debarker, does not have the laser.

I'm reasonably sure the guy is the owner. He is a custom furniture maker who wanted to mill his own wood. He got more into the milling than making, and now has 50-100MBF of dry lumber stacked up. The custom furniture business is way down with the rest of the economy and he figures he has several years worth of lumber currently stockpiled. Therefore he wants to get the cash freed up that he has in the machine.

Bibbyman

There shouldn't be any real wear problems show up at 800 hours other than possibly blade guide rollers but those are wear and replace items anyway. 

Out in the field for 3-4 years the paint could be faded.  Rust spots where scratches, rails, and other un-painted places.  Probably would not be hard to make look a lot better by taking oil and steel wool to rust. 

If not run and maintained regularly, the engine should have all maintenance done before starting up.  Fresh fuel and filters.  I think the CAT engine was a reliable engine.  They sure sound good!

Check rubber items – belts, hoses, etc.  Hydraulic hoses should be fine.

Anything come with it?  Extra blades? Cant hooks?  Fuel cans?  Spare tire?

If the guy can crank it up and demo sawing a log,  Accuset and everything works,  I don't see how you can go wrong – if the price is right.
Sawing since '94

jdonovan

I'm expecting faded paint, and some rust. Shame that WM can't get some UV protectant into the paint to keep the paint fresh looking.

He's got some logs on site, so I think we can get the blade into some wood and see how the machine runs.

Nothing has specifically been mentioned as part of the package, but I'd suspect there are probably some bands in the package.

So what should the range of 'right' be on a price for this mill?

Bibbyman

I think some time back Wood-Mizer upgraded their paint system and process.  I don't know how far back that was.

Price?  I'd not have a clue.  You can look around the mills for sale on the internet.  I think Wood-Mizer has some kind of program to get "what's it's worth" price.  May look on their "used Wood-Mizer for sale" web site.

http://www.woodmizer.com/usedsawmills/orangeestimate.aspx

It's some kind of fill out the form and submit.
Sawing since '94

jdonovan

I've been watching the used market on woodmizers used equipment list, as well as sawmill exchange.  I think this one is priced reasonably, but will not know for sure until I see the condition in person. One mans 'good shape' is anothers 'beat up'.

Bibbyman

I just spotted one just like the one you're going to look at - year and model wise - on the WM used mill site with 125 hours.  The hours difference is not that significant.  Paint looks good on this one.  May have lived in a barn most of its life.
Sawing since '94

jdonovan

The one in MD?  #611? 32k?

I've looked at the pictures, and sent my contact info to the seller twice, no contact back.

I'd like to go look at it.

Bibbyman

I think there was a total of 4 LT40HDD51-RAs on the WM for sale list.
Sawing since '94

barbender

I bought a '97 LT40HDD40 Super used with 1000 hours on it. It was out in the open (still is, unfortunately :(), I don't think the owner knew what maintainence was, so I have been fixing a lot of minor things, making adjustments, etc. These mills are solid, so they can soak up some stupid ::), but anything that is left in the weather will have some issues.
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

Also, I've seen a lot of mills for sale with the Cat diesel that had the engine replaced between 1000-2000 hours. Thats a red flag to me. I know one local guy that has a Cat powered Super, his engine had to be replaced when it was still under the Cat engine warranty, he told me he'd rather have my Lombardini.

jdonovan

Well the guy bailed on me... something at work came up on him. Its far enough so a mid-week trip is a nogo, so another week to look at the adds and see what I can find.

I'm in Virginia and, don't want to travel a 1000 miles for a mill. I am in the market for a mill with hydro log handling, debaker, and setworks, or the option to add those options. 

I've been looking at LT40HD HDS and TK1600-2000, I'd like to stay away from the B20.

The purchase window is within the next 6-9 months. By next spring I'll be clearing my lot and want a way to process the big trees into lumber.

I'm checking sawmill exchange, the forsale forums here, and craigslist every few days, but if anyone knows of a mill near my area that isn't posted there, let me know.

wwsjr

Keep a check on Woodmizer web site. There may be one near you. Marty in PA usually has mills listed. Many of the listings show when or if the mill was factory serviced and history of mill.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

barbender

I found mine on Woodmizer's web site- it was about 300 miles from me.

MartyParsons

Hello,
I can help if you need me. If you have the owners name I can look and see if they purchased any parts and what blades. We can do a orange book value ( Kelly blue book but orange). Sometimes I even know who owns the mill. I know of mills from time to time that are not on the web site. We have parts and blades and Resharp.
Not an advertisement just what I do every day. If the mill is here I service it before it goes out in the field. You also get training on any mill we sell used or new.
Thanks
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Grizzly_B

Is there something inherently wrong with a B20 or is that a personal preference.  I just bought a Baker 3638D but had been looking very hard at a B20 and liked it. Was I missing something? Just want to know in case I made a mistake on this Baker and end up looking for another mill.
For my first sawmill my wife just bought me a used Baker 3638D.

jdonovan

Quote from: Grizzly_B on July 31, 2011, 03:47:25 PM
Is there something inherently wrong with a B20 or is that a personal preference. 

Seems there has been ALOT of problems with the cord reels on them. I've seen a few fixes for them, but all conclude that the parts supplied by TK are not up to the job.

Resale value, they really seem to have lost their value vs. other mills of similar age/class/capability. That tells me they are less desirable and there must be some reasons for that.

Tire-kicking. when I called WM I got a whole slew of names for near by mill owners that I could call about a demo. TK was able to give me ONE name of a person with a tk1600 in Virginia who was within 3 hours drive, and ZERO for a B2000. Hard to commit 10's of thousands of dollars on something sight-unseen.

I had a similar experience with Cooks regarding demos. There just were no demo mills anywhere reasonably near by to go see/talk to.

Thank You Sponsors!