iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-Mizer 2011 Personal Best

Started by Magicman, July 21, 2011, 08:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I finally got all of my stuff together and am ready to mail my entry tomorrow.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rambo

Jeff

I want to send in an entry, but it all depends on weather I get about twenty more blocks for my ceiling!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bibbyman

Good luck too!

That's something we've never tried for.  I don't think I could handle the rejection.  I look at the project winners and I'm amazed at what they've done.   Now, we've saw material that's went into some impressive projects but they were not "our" our projects.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

Quote from: Jeff on July 21, 2011, 09:22:58 PM
I want to send in an entry, but it all depends on weather I get about twenty more blocks for my ceiling!

I was thinking about you Jeff, and bumped that thread.   ;)

Quote from: Bibbyman on July 21, 2011, 09:24:58 PM
I don't think I could handle the rejection.

I won't have to worry about rejection because I've already won in my category.  "They" just don't know it yet.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brucer

I encourage all Wood-Mizer owners to enter these contests, either Personal Best or Business Best. I entered the Business Best contest in 2008 without any intention of winning. I figured in a "couple more years" I might have a chance.

I almost decided not to enter but then I decided it would be good practice to actually answer the questions and do the write-up. If nothing else I figured it would be a good record of where my business was at the time. So for me it was just an exercise: write up the business, fill in the form, and then, what the heck, pay for an envelope and stamp and send it in.

I was astonished when Wood-Mizer phoned to say I'd won third prize. Getting that credit toward parts and blades purchases was a nice little bonus.

Perhaps the most important thing I learned from my effort was the need to take good photos of your operation. Prior to winning the contest I just snapped a few pictures to document my work. I never gave a thought to presenting them to someone else. It became clear after I won that I needed to pay more attention to my photography (Wood-Mizer kept calling to see if I could come up with better pictures). Unfortunately this was in the winter when the mill was buried under snow.

After that experience Barb (the artist in the family) announced that she'd be taking the pictures in future. I also found that when I started thinking about the pictures as a way to present my business to the world, the quality started to improve. In 2009 I documented the major job I was working on and made a simple collage of photos to give to the owner. He was thrilled.

Somewhere on this board Tom has presented a wonderful tutorial on how to take effective photographs. When I analyzed my early efforts and compared them to Barbs, I can see exactly why hers are so much better.

So go ahead and enter. Just for fun. Don't plan to win -- just do it.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Mooney

We've been getting some great submissions already, and the more, the merrier.  ;D

Even if you don't think you'll have much chance of winning, there are other ways many of our entries get noticed, shared, and help inspire people. We've been working with a publication outside of the sawing industry about a collection of entries throughout the years that they want to share with their subscriber list. And most of the entries that will be published didn't even place in our contest! But now, a couple years later, we are still finding ways to share them and brag up the talents of our customers  :)

So, if you've been thinking about entering, you have one more month (plus a few days) to enter! Like Brucer was saying, the quality/quantity of the photos you submit really help us get a better feel for your project, so more is good! Most of our submissions have actually been online through the website then anything else so far, you can enter and upload your photos at www.woodmizer.com/pbest. And then if you have additional photos or questions, just email me at jmooney@woodmizer.com.

Btw, we always get an outhouse submission from someone, and sure enough, yesterday we got it!  :D

wwsjr

A few years ago I sent in a submission for Business Best, was I really suprised when I received notification of I think 3rd place and a credit for $500. Like others, I only have things built by my customers with wood cut on my mill, nothing I have built for myself. Thanks to Woodmizer for their rewards to their customers
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Magicman

Instead of mailing, I went online and submitted.  It seemed to take a long time to submit, so I backed up, resized the pictures and resubmitted.  I hope that it went OK.

Submitting twice, I just may win twice.   :)

Mooney

Yup, just about to email your confirmation to you ;-) The first one came in fine, and the photos look good! If you could send in a copy of the photo CD or email a few to me, that would be great.
Expect an email shortly! ;-)

Magicman

OK, I just went ahead and mailed the whole package to you.  You will find the entry application as well as the CD.

Magicman

I got a letter today !!!  I was named the 1st Place Winner in category 7,  "For the Good of Others".  I have a prize credit of $800 posted to my WM account.

Thanks to Wood-Mizer.

Papa1stuff

Congratulations MM  smiley_clapping smiley_clapping
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Slingshot

Magicman gets it done;
     In more ways than one 

sling_shot

wwsjr

Congrats Lynn, You were not kidding Friday about winning.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Chuck White

Congratulations Lynn.

Hard work deserves good rewards.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bill Gaiche

I completly understand why you won MM. Congradulations, bg

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

ellmoe

Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

SAWMILL BUDDY

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

September is "Wood-Mizer Customer Appreciation Month" with a 10% sale, so I quickly ordered two Fine-Adjust Outriggers and also a couple of Logrite cant hooks.   smiley_thumbsup

I have already spent over $600.   ;)

mad murdock

Congratulations MM!  that is great!!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

paul case

Quote from: Magicman on September 26, 2011, 08:24:19 PM
September is "Wood-Mizer Customer Appreciation Month" with a 10% sale, so I quickly ordered two Fine-Adjust Stabilizers and also a couple of Logrite cant hooks.   smiley_thumbsup

I have already spent over $600.   ;)

it dont take long to do that !!!

congratulations on the win my friend. it couldnt have happened to a nicer, finer sawyer.   pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Brucer

smiley_thumbsup   :) :)

That credit has an expiry date (1 year) so don't forget to spend the rest of it :D.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Mooney

It was hard not to pick up the phone and just tell you about it when the judging results came in a couple weeks ago  :-X

Your story was very inspirational, and we are proud to have you as one of our winners, MM  ;D You reminded us a little of Moses  ;)

Magicman

Thank you Jake and Wood-Mizer.

Here is a picture of the building project that won for me.  Actually I wasn't the real winner, our church's Music Minister was with this storage building/carport built with 100% Wood-Mizer lumber.

Cedarman

Congratulations!!! 8) 8) 8)  MM, that is a fine building worthy of the award.  I would hate to be a judge for these contests.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Tom L

way to go on the win!

that's some project, very nice

nas

Congratulations MM 8) 8) 8)
I don't know if there is a category I would rather win than "for the good of others"

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Radar67

Nice project MM. You seem to have kept this one quiet for a while. ;)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Chris Burchfield

I was trying to figure how "Crispin Chicken" could be an entry.   :D :D :D  Congratulations Lynn.  Very nice little building.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

schakey

smiley_applause smiley_thumbsup
Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!! Love the building

Think-Dream-Plan-Do

Magicman

While this "Wood-Mizer Customer Appreciation Month" with a 10% sale was still available, I just ordered another Fine-Adjustment Outrigger.  My prize money is now spent.   ;D

Thanks again Wood-Mizer !!!

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

isawlogs

Lynn , welcome to the honour club   8) 8) 8) 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Magicman

The first two Fine-Adjustment Outriggers came in and are installed.  I am looking forward to using them on the Sinker Cypress job starting Friday.

I replaced the Outriggers in front of and behind the axle on the operator's side.  These always seem to be the ones that sink in while I am sawing.  They are also the hardest to reach.  Today I ordered the one just behind the hitch.

nas

Almost looks like you need a new mill to match the nice new outriggers :)
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Peter Drouin

The outriggers do work well, don;t forget the locking caps that go on top , they will unscrew and loosen from vibration,  :) :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

isawlogs

Lynn , let us know how you like those outriggers.

nas: The paint Woodmizer uses on there mill aint sun friendly  :(   
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

pnyberg

Quote from: Magicman on September 28, 2011, 05:52:55 PM
I replaced the Outriggers in front of and behind the axle on the operator's side.  These always seem to be the ones that sink in while I am sawing.  They are also the hardest to reach.  Today I ordered the one just behind the hitch.

My 'demo' mill came with 4 FAO's on the rail, and the standard outriggers (SO's) on the loading arm side.  I initially thought that I might spring for two more FAO's, but with some experience I found that there's really no need.  I hardly ever have to use the silver adjustment rod on the SO's.

Generally, I'll release the SO on an end, and then use the near rail end FAO to lift the end enough to get the SO to click into the next hole.  Then I'll put the closer mid-rail FAO down and get it to take its share of the weight. 

To put this another way, I adjust the FAO's to the position of the SO's, and never really adjust the SO's at all.

I'm sure you'll work out your own system shortly.

One other thing I did was to put a 1 1/4" socket in my tool box so I wouldn't be in a pickle if that nice crank handle ever went missing.  That crank handle has taken a couple of long trips sitting on top of my hitch-end FAO  :)

--Peter 
No longer milling

Magicman

I saw right quickly that I needed a socket or ratchet end wrench.  I went by Sears today and they didn't have a 1¼" socket.  I'm going to the parts house tomorrow.

Quote from: Peter Drouin on September 28, 2011, 06:06:25 PM
don;t forget the locking caps that go on top , they will unscrew and loosen from vibration

I'll get the instructions out again.  I missed that part about a locking cap.   :-\

JP135

Congratulations, Magicman. Nice work.

HOGFARMER

Congradulations,  You can definetly be proud of this accomplishment!
Manual LT-30

thecfarm

There's another feather you can add to your hat. Good job as always from MM.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: thecfarm on September 29, 2011, 07:06:40 AM
There's another feather you can add to your hat. Good job as always from MM.

At this point it's starting to look more like an Indian War Bonnet with all them feathers... :D

Herb

Ohio_Bill

Congratulations Lynn, You are truly living the Golden Rule
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

ljmathias

Way to go, MM!  I'm off the forum for a few days and lo and behold!  You become Moses!

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Thank You Sponsors!