iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Helping trees during droughts

Started by tstex, July 21, 2011, 12:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tstex

Hello to all,

Well, here in SE/SC Texas, we have been in the worse drought since at least 1918...still in the worse category, "exceptional".  Have lost a lot of water/pin oaks and trying to do what I can with (8) 100ft hoses for my 100-200 yr live oaks.

Have about 100 acres and there is no way, of course, I can get to them all.  However, I wanted to know the best and most efficient way(s) I can use both my time, water and hoses?  For very mature live oaks, here are a few questions:

Where [drip line, further in/out in ft] is the best place to water?  What is the best method?  Any do's or dont's?  Finally, are there any supplements/fertilizers that can aid during the watering process?

My soils are a sandly loam with bahia grass [brown/dead & some off-green colors], then clay about 4-5 ft down.  Have cows running around too.

Thank you very much, any and all suggestions welcomed.

Regards,
tstex

beenthere

Sorry to hear of that drought.

For the watering, I'd see about getting a ground mulch (layer of hay, dead grass, straw...) cover that will hold moisture and also allow less evaporation from the dry, hot air. The drip line would likely work the best.

Wish you well in protecting and helping the trees.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Sprucegum

It would help if you could keep the cows away from the trees too. It may not be obvious on the surface but they pack the soil and add more stress to the root systems.

WDH

I would spray and kill the grass and cover with a mulch like BT said. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tcsmpsi

Well, it has been a month since this thread started,  no rain has yet been forthcoming in the area and the heat has been in the 100s every day.  So, what was already "exceptional", has become much worse.  

Any update on how your trees have fared, tstx?
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Thank You Sponsors!