iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM outriggers, questions

Started by Jim_Rogers, July 20, 2011, 03:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

First of all I did a search here on the forum for WM outriggers and saw lots of threads about them.
I did read almost all of one that was four pages long, and almost all of one from 06 that was three pages long.

On my LT30HDG24 I have only five outriggers. I do use the balance system that several of the guys posted on the other threads to level up the mill.

And I have cut the top off one but not with a hack saw, and not on purpose  ;D.

Setting up on un-level ground will get you every time.

My question was how do you clean out the sawdust and debris that get in there after you have lost your top cap?
One answer was on another thread to lift the mill up until you can slide it out the bottom and clean it out, and slide it back in. Another said to unbolt it from the frame.

I'm for the lift up idea, as I don't want to spend a lot of time un-bolting and bolting up. But I'm worried that if I pick up my mill on a chain with my fork lift or backhoe front bucket, that I run the risk of tipping it over.
I suppose I can lower the head all the way down to make it have a lower center of gravity. But I was wondering what else could I do to prevent it from tipping over?

If I raise up the back two, that's all I got back there, then move the head to the tail end of the mill the hitch end will go sky high. (That's one of those don't ask me how I know, type of things). And I most likely can slide out the front three and dump them out.

But what about emptying out the back two? If I slide the mill head all the way to the hitch end and lift the tail up to drop them out, I'm really risking it tipping over.

Maybe if no one has a good idea about doing this I could back the mill up onto some blocks to get it up in the air a little, I'm not sure about this idea. I tried that on one un-level site and the mill kept falling off the blocks when we rolled over a large log on the saw table.

Ok, so let's say I have my outriggers out of the tube on the mill, and cleaned out. Someone said there is a hole on the bottom to let the stuff drain out. I wasn't aware of that. I was thinking about increasing the size of this hole. If it is directly on the bottom then what would happen if I made it larger? I guess I'd have less metal pressing on the ground. Could I bore holes through the side of the tube right at the base plate to let the sawdust out? Has anyone done that?

Also, what can I do, or what have you done to stop the sawdust from getting into the outrigger. I bought some plastic caps from WM once for replacing those that were broken, but that was a long time ago, and those replacement ones are broken or gone now.

The sawdust in the tubes is beginning to get to be a problem on a couple of them as it does effect the pin, as mentioned in other threads.

Has anyone come up with a cheap or easy method to cap them?

Thanks for your advice.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

terrifictimbersllc

Got an air compressor or a leaf blower, or a shop vac that you can turn into a blower? Rig a tube which you can hook to any of these that will go down the outrigger.   And stand back at least put on glasses and hat.  :) :) :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

I probably am the one that suggested just removing 4 bolts and emptying it out.  I also once pointed out that there is a hole in the bottom of the outrigger.

I always use the WM caps and keep a couple of extras in the tool box. Without the caps, bark and other stuff larger than sawdust will fill the outriggers and it won't wash out of the bottom hole.   After 10 years of sawing, it's about time to empty mine again.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Air Pressure or Water Pressure & new caps.

The hole in the bottom plate is about 1"!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ely

foam the top so it has a semi permanent cap.

Peter Drouin

Get a shopvac and suck it out  ;D ;D or buy the new ones that wm came out with and never have to deal with sawdust ever again , and leveling is easy, I love mine, time is money. happy sawing  8) 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Two of the new outriggers are on my want list.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brucer

1) Raise the outrigger, then take a piece of ready-rod (aka allthread) and push it up through the bottom hole. Work it around, run it up and down, and eventually most of the sawdust will come out.

2) Tape a piece of 1/2" ID vinyl tubing to the hose of a shopvac (you have to be creative here), but the hose on the blower side of the vac, push the tubing down through one of the jack holes, and let 'er rip. A good wide-brimmed hat might keep the sawdust out of your collar. You might need to do this several times if the sawdust is wet.

3) Buy a handful of new tops from WM. If a particular one keeps getting lost or breaking, try holding it on with duct tape.

4) On newer mills, the two middle outriggers on the main tube have an offset near the bottom that puts the "foot" under the main tube. The vertical part of the outrigger has a wide open bottom, so no buildup problems. The outrigger itself might fit in the mounting bracket, in which case you wouldn't have to buy the whole assembly.

5) The new fully adjustable outriggers don't collect sawdust -- I replaced the two on the ends of the mill.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

wwsjr

I keep a few spare caps on hand to replace when one is destroyed. I use air to clean and occasionally a pressure washer.  I usually put a small amount of epoxy on cap as i install. Works good for me. I installed a screw jack on hitch to assist with hookup an leveling.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Jim_Rogers

Thanks for all your advice.

I'll try several of the methods mentioned and see which one I like best....

Jim

petefrom bearswamp

A Duct tape cap is cheap, easy to install and easy to replace but not too attractive.
My 2 cents
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

StanS

This is a problem that I have wrestled with for years, while trying to sleep at night. Finally thought of this.

Dig a hole in the ground, then position the outrigger over the hole so it can slide down and out.

Chuck White

Or use a set of "car ramps", you know, the kind some of us back yard mechanics use.

Put one in front of each of the wheels on the mill, then just drive ahead until the mill is at the top of the ramp.

Then after you're done with the back ones, back down off of the ramps, unhitch the mill from your tow vehicle and move the saw head to the rear of the mill and this will raise the front ones up so they can be removed and cleaned out.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bandmill Bandit

i have tack welded 14 gauge mild steel on 3 of mine so far.

I use an air gun with a 24 inch piece of 3/16 steel brake line as an extension you can bend as required to get the debris out.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

DR_Buck

New caps ---- they're cheap

I use a water hose.  Just pop the top off and stick the end of the hose down in side.  Most all of it will float up over the top if you have enough water flow.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

cypresskayaksllc

I did what Mr White suggested: Car ramps.
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

zopi

Weld a top on each and fuhgeddaboudit.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Jim_Rogers

Well, I'm about to move the mill to a site to do a job of sawing some long logs for a timber frame addition and sheathing.
I was packing up the mill today to move it and I figured it was a good time to clean out some of my outriggers.
I opted for the lift up and lower them down and out method.

I hooked a chain onto my backhoe front bucket and lifted the hitch end up with the mill all packed up and ready to roll. The head was sitting down on the travel peg.

I lifted it up enough so that I could drop down the three front outriggers to clean them out.
Well I only cleaned out two, as the one near the hitch still has a cap on it and isn't full of sawdust.

The two near the first bed rail were missing their caps and full of sawdust.
So, I dropped them down and cleaned them out by turning them upside down and thumbing them on a plank next to my work area. I found the hole on the bottom, as mentioned, and ran the outrigger jack handle down through it to loosen up the packed sawdust.

This worked good, and guess what fell out. Three caps. I got two out of one and one out of the other.

They aren't in the greatest shape, one was split and none of them any any of the lips around the top that hold them to the top of the outrigger. But I figure I can now duck tape them to the outrigger top and hopefully they will work and keep the sawdust out.

Does anyone know where I can buy any orange duct tape?  ;D :D

We of course I'm joking as the outriggers are black. So I guess I'll have to look for some black duct tape.

I know, I know, I have a can of black spray paint. I can use regular duct tape and spray it black and no one will know it..... yea that's the ticket....

I was thinking of lifting up the rear end and doing the same thing, but with my luck I'd flip the mill over and screw up my job coming on Monday.

I'm going to wait until I have this job done and then do it while the mill is hooked to my truck. Hopefully this will stop it from flipping over and keep it somewhat stable while I lift it up do drop out the back two outriggers.

I didn't take any pictures today, but I try and do that when I clean out the back ones.

Jim Rogers

scouter Joe

Jim , when you have the mill hooked to the truck can you back the rear end over a ditch or something similer to be able to drop the rear out riggers down .This should eliminate the danger of tipping the mill . scouter Joe

Chuck White

Another idea too Jim!

Just unbolt it and take the complete outrigger off.

Only 4 bolts and "no risk"!

DR_Buck

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on March 31, 2012, 04:59:45 PM
But I figure I can now duck tape them to the outrigger top and hopefully they will work and keep the sawdust out.

It won't work.    ;)   As soon as you drop them down, the duck tape will rip off where the it goes down through the mount.

zopi

I don't wash the mill much, but I do blow it down with a lawn blower pretty often...stick the nozzle in and blow the sawdust out...it comes out pretty good.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

eastberkshirecustoms

I don't know what size the WM outrigger tubing is, but McMaster-Carr sells tubing plugs. http://www.mcmaster.com/#sundry-plugs/=gwq1r1

DR_Buck

Quote from: eastberkshirecustoms on March 31, 2012, 10:07:44 PM
I don't know what size the WM outrigger tubing is, but McMaster-Carr sells tubing plugs. http://www.mcmaster.com/#sundry-plugs/=gwq1r1

Wood-Mizer sell them too.     ;D   Part number is P09926.  Cost is $2.27 each.   I just picked up 2 this past week from WM Shade Gap.   ;D

terrifictimbersllc

Those plastic caps don't last, for me.  Anybody try wooden plugs?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!