iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oversized Walnut Log Stash

Started by spanky, July 20, 2011, 02:24:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spanky

Greetings:
I'm new to your site and what's worse...a foreigner. I do have friends and a few relatives in the North Country.....hope that counts for something.
At issue is a 30 odd years collection (about 80 logs) of huge (26" to 72" diam.) Walnut logs I've gathered over the years. The logs are not only huge but are also very irregular shaped...not nice and pretty and straight. One 72" timber is a very large crotch piece which has been envied by more than a few. Another very large piece is a burl measuring about 3.5' oval. I have an almost unlimited supply of this wood as people in my area think of wood only for firewood. Picked up a huge (unfortunately cutup) tree not long ago...Silver Maple. I was sick...but as I said, the locals think of everything here as firewood. I love wood but at an early age could not figure a way to make a living with wood so...I became a football coach for all these years. Now retired, I'm looking to make these logs into something of a useful hobby and possibly a little extra cash. I have not been able to figure (in spite of all my research) the best mill(s) to use on this wood and get the best results/yield. I would like to slab some and mill some, especially since most of it is so large. Thought maybe I could get some advice from this forum.
Sitting atop a small knoll and bragging about the days exploits, the oldest of the three sons asked, "Father, will McMunns' ever be Kings again?" The father answered his sons, who were listening intently, "...son, all men with Honor are Kings..."

duke

Look at peterson Dedicated slabber, talk with AAron. They have just what you need. tell him Marcel from Canada, said to talk with him.

Marcel

Ianab

Yeah. a swing-blade mill with a chainsaw slabber attachment will be the most economical way to break down those logs. The mill can cut normal dimension boards up to 6-10" depending on the model, then bolt on the bar and chain for slabbing large table tops. You can even get a planer blade for surfacing the large slabs before final finishing.

Large ugly logs like that are common here in NZ & Australia, so Peterson or Lucas (see the sponsor list on the left) can sort you out with a machine to handle the job.

72" might be a bit of a challenge for a standard mill, might need a bit of trimming first, but still a pretty impressive table top in there.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

spanky,welcome to the forum. What part of the world are you from.?Must have some equipment to move those big logs? Going to need something to move those big slabs with too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Welcome spanky, to the Forestry Forum.  Being a foreigner is not necessarily "worst".  Everyone is a foreigner from somewhere else.   ;)

It certainly sounds like a swingblade mill with a slabber is in order for you.  There are a couple of sponsors listed to the left that handle those big logs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

Welcome to the forum spanky, you definitely came to the right place for your answers, although I'm no help most folks here can tell you what you need to know.  Where are from, can't be anymore foreign than the sandhills of Nebraska  ;).

spanky

WOW!!! I had no idea the response I'd get...great information here.  Just so all of you know, I wasn't certain of what kind of response I'd get so I've posted my note on several forums from the US to Australia...most all of the responses have been similar.  I shouldn't be surprised because every where I go "wood workers/millers" are a tight group of people with a lot to share.  First thing I will do is post some pictures. They will be coming soon.
When I found this forum, the posts I read were all from Canada and I thought the forum was a Canadian sourced forum which is why I introduced myself as a foreigner. I can see I was wrong...contributors are from North America. 
Thanks for all the input and I look forward to hearing more once I post pictures.
Spanky (TD)
Sitting atop a small knoll and bragging about the days exploits, the oldest of the three sons asked, "Father, will McMunns' ever be Kings again?" The father answered his sons, who were listening intently, "...son, all men with Honor are Kings..."

LeeB

Most of us are from the US, but we have members from around the world and pretty much every continent. welcome aboard.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

beenthere

Spanky
Welcome, but just where are you from? ;)

Fill out your bio a bit more, would help.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Sprucegum

:P A place where walnut trees grow big, everybody likes football, and Canadians are foreigners....I bet ya'll eats grits, eh?  :D  :D

Brad_bb

Welcome to the forums!  We have members from Australia, and New Zealand.  Filling out your profile will allow us to see by your user name in each post, where you're from etc.

If you're going to be a regular, please consider contributing to our group project:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,18953.0.html

Send your block to
Jeff Brokaw
3210 Bischoff
Harrison, MI. 48625

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

shelbycharger400

grits...  only had them when i was in arkansas 10 yrs ago.   no place in mn sells them with eggs and pancakes

the burl... you might be able to sell that to someone ...  i have seen ads here for people that want them
but then again... they make AWESOME tables , that bring good money.

you will have to weigh your costs to have your logs done to what its going to cost to buy a machine,   from slabber, to band mill, to circle mill 

mills generally run 4k up to tens of thousands.

Used mills are 1500 to 40k

I have heard of 9 ft headsaw blade... and i want myself a picture next to one :)

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Here is a photo of it in it's crate.

This one will cut just as big a log though... :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ianab

Cool , but I'd still go with the swing-blade / slabber  ;) :)

This is an Oversize chainsaw slabber that Lucas make. 9.5 ft cut

Makes stuff like this  :o

Normal size chainsaw slabber

Those boards were being sawn at the Ag Fieldays a few years back. Kauri and Rimu, and those big slabs were being sold for ~$1,000 each, and were selling like hot cakes. If you have the right logs you will be able to pay for the mill quick enough.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

Wow, that is sawing some big stuff guys.  For a moment, I thought that was Bibby from behind, but surely he would never run a sawmill with two blades.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

shelbycharger400

my parents neighbor has a double head saw,  i think his was a 52 bottom, 28 top.   first time i seen it...i was HOLY #@!$

I had him do my 36 in dia boxelder... just to big, and my mill wasnt done.

somewhere northern mn...   i have heard their is a monster  mill at an amish mill

Left Coast Chris

Hi Spanky,
Several of us are in the Western US here on the FF.  Im in Anderson Ca. which is just south of Redding.   It sounds like I have had a similar challenge over the years.

We wanted to build a new house about 18 years ago and wanted Agg land so we ended up buying an old English Walnut orchard.    You can see where this is going.

As the trees slowly reached their life span I did not want to waste the wood and I enjoy wood working.  I had a couple of guys come in with wood mizers and saw for 50/50 at first but they quit for various reasons.  

I also enjoy metal working so I built a woodmizer clone.   It can cut up to 27" wide.   For the occasional large log I simply chainsaw rip them.  If they are huge, I quarter them with the chainsaw.   At first there was a bit of waste until I learned to get better rip cuts with the chain saw.  The end result are walnut boards or slabs up to 27" wide.

The one time I decided to slab a very large oak,  my brother came over with a Lucus slabber and sawed for 50/50.

My cantiliver head home built mill will take a 36" log so I don't have to rip too often and built it for around $3k including the 24hp honda engine.

How many logs do you have?  If you only have several dozen it might pay to have them sawn or if you just want to do hobby sawing with an occasional sale you need to think about the size of boards you want and what the clients want.  Slabs are nice but unless you have a specific plan for selling them, most people want furnature lumber.  Gunstock blanks are another possibility for the big tree with the crotch.  If you want a slab table then you woud need to bring in a slabber.

You are welcome to PM me and come by and see my mill and operation if you live in the area or will be coming through.

Let us know how you do!  

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

SPIKER

Also might add the way the logs have been stored could come into play as your time above seems like these logs may be worth fire wood if they were not dipped/submerged in a lake to keep them from drying to a state where sawing concrete may be easier or rotted if stored on the ground & be worth mulch only...

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

spanky

Greetings, again:
In re-reading the post replies and going out and taking these pictures, I'm not at all certain what you folks expect...nothing I see that I haven't looked at many times...not that impressive. I did notice another post showing a massive walnut slab from another member...my gosh, I've never seen such a huge piece. Unfortunately, none of my stuff is cut yet so can't see whats really there except that I had a local fellow help me cut a piece of ours with a small chainsaw jig...two days later, I had some visitors and they bought the slabs on the spot...I probably gave them away, I was so excited to find someone was actually as interested in the pieces as I was. When I look over this mess, I'm reminded of how many years it has taken me to collect these pieces. Some have questioned whether they will have any value because of their rustic/rough/weathered appearance...not to worry. I've cut open these wonderful beauties...they're gorgeous. The only explanation I have for their well-preserved inside look is the oil in the Walnut and our extremely dry climate. Anyway, let me know if the pieces I've posted do them justice and thanks for all the encouragement.
Side Note:  I know I'm going to catch hell about this but...Sorry, I'll be damned if I figure out that picture upload stuff on this site.  If you would like some pics, go to the Wood Work Forum   (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f132/oversize-walnut-log-stash-138450/)  Nothing too impressive after looking at some of the pics posted here. ....Anyway, I'm not really the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to that upload stuff.

Ianab

Logs can sometimes last a surprisingly long time.

The big kauri log that's being cut in the pic I posted had been sitting in a swamp for ~3,000 years!!!!

With Walnut, the sapwood will rot after a few years, but the heartwood can last for years. The juglone (a natural toxin) kills off any fungus or bugs that would otherwise attack the log.

The thing with those live edge table tops, the crazier the grain and knots, the more people like them. So ugly logs that would be rejects from a normal commercial sawmill, but get them sliced up ready to make coffee tables out of, and they are worth good money.

Ian

Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!