iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rifle stocks

Started by postville, July 19, 2011, 10:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postville

Looking for some information on sawing rifle stock material. I have heard the best flame figure is in the roots, is this so? How do you deal with the dirt?
I have saved a few crotches, is it just luck to get solid material? Do you saw with the "y" horizontal or vertical?
Is anything other than walnut used?
I plan on using end coat wax and saw about 2.5 inches thick, 4 foot long.  Thanks, Bob
LT40 25hp Kohler, Gehl 6635, Valby grapple, Ford 4600, Farmi winch, Stihl saws

Tom

What little experience I have in sawing rifle stock blanks, I was told to look for the figure in the root crown, where the root leaves the stump, incorporating both the stump and the root.  Sawing stumps is just having to deal with dirt.  You can clean the outside, but there will be encapsulated dirt and rocks if you are sawing the portion below ground level.

When sawing crotches, you get the most figured boards by sawing the "y" horizontal, as if it were a pair of pants on an ironing board.

DRB

Curly or birdseye maple makes real nice rifle stocks as well. Where you live thats about all I can think you might find.  2.5 inches might be a little thin for rifle stocks most makers like them closer to 3 inches thick. Shotgun stocks you can get by with 2.5 inches.

Magicman

A pressure washer is your friend.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Norm

Here's Jeff showing the proper alignment for sawing crotch wood.

;D

CalebL

Quote from: Norm on July 20, 2011, 07:52:32 AM
Here's Jeff showing the proper alignment for sawing crotch wood.

;D

Looks like a bunch of pulp wood to me.   :)
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

ljmathias

So how did this sawing experiment turn out?  Might be a new twist on the use of a wood chipper as seen in the movie "Fargo."  Not to get too gory but was there a lot of splatter and splash, and how about figure in the slabs obtained?

Now might be a good time to turn to food, but you'd have to have a pretty strong stomach.   :D

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Raider Bill

According to FF lore the crotch-wood pictured here has like new shoulder wood.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Jim_Wahl

I'd like to know where you get those "self loading" logs!
1997 Peterson 9" WPF since 1998
2004 Baker 3667D since 2014
Cooks Catclaw sharpener and setter

I am from Iowa, but I seem fine.

LeeB

You need to turn that one around asn saw that knot head last.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

terrifictimbersllc

Lift the clamp and see how serious a planker he is.  :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!