iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Going to look at a Norwood mill later this week

Started by Coon, July 19, 2011, 03:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coon

I found a Norwood Super Lumbermate 2000 with a siding jig that I am going to look at later in the week.  The guy is asking $6200 for the unit and says that it has only sawn roughly 30,000 bdft of lumber with it.  Do you guys think the price is reasonable?

Here is the ad:  http://saskatoon.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-tools-equipment-Lumber-Mate-Sawmill-for-Sale-W0QQAdIdZ298651330

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

LPitt

I don't know, sounds a little high to me. I would look at new LT 15 for about the same price.
Linn Lumber 1900 hyd, Bobcat T190 with grapple ect., Kubota MX 5100, Ford 555E backhoe, Sthil ms460, home made wood splitter, and more projects than I can count.

Coon

We were thinking of offering him a certified check for about $5000.  Kinda a take it or leave it thing.  ;)

nas

It looks like it has some options.  Toe boards, cover, electric start, and if it can cut 16' than it must have 1 extension.  I think it is a decent deal, but I would try the $5000.  You probably also won't be paying tax on it so that helps in the comparison with a new mill.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

ahlkey

He appears to be on the high side for a used LM 2000 with only the 15hp Kohler engine.  I purchased mine a few years ago with the trailer package, toe board, and the 23HP model for around $7,500.  Right now they do have a big sale on the lap siding jigs for only $189.00 (discounted 65% from $545.00). If you can get it for $5,000 that would be a good deal if it is in good shape.  With the MX34 being much more expensive the older LM2000 models are holding their resale value nicely though.  Good luck

Coon

It's all up to the weather now.  If it rains enough tonight then tomorrow or the next day may be when we go look at it.  The owner said to call when we are ready to go.  He has not had any calls on it up until we called today.  Hoping the $5000 will cut the deal.  If not..... I may just go the way of the Mizer.   ;)

Coon

Well Sunday is the day that we go look at the mill and possibly bring it home.  I talked to the owner earlier today and there is 30 or so bands that come with the mill that have been used and never been resharpened as he doesn't have the sharpening equipment.  He has one or two bands that have never been on the mill.  He hadn't had the mill going this year until after I had talked to him when he sent me a text message telling me that he had fired it up.   ;D

Magicman

I'll be looking forward to reading about your decision.  I hope you took your camera.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Coon

I definately will be taking the camera with me.  There is a bit more that I will add to this than just the mill.  The mill is owned by a fairly famous artist and was only used to saw out the materials for his home/gallery.  He does some very impressive artwork and also has another gallery in Saskatoon.  ;D

Have a look at Glens Scrimshaw's site here:  http://www.glenscrimshaw.com/

ahlkey

Very interesting artist.   I doubt if your strategy of $5K take it or leave it will work.  If it is in good condition and he has all the extra blades and materials it  may be worth the extra value.  Good Luck

Coon

I will know more this afternoon and who knows maybe I will come home with a mill.  We will make him an offer he can't refuse I know that much.   ;)  If the mill is in the shape it is claimed to be I am sure that it will follow us home.  I need to get the ball rolling with this milling thing.  Just waiting on Arden to show up and we will be on the road.  Pics will definately follow tonight when we arrive back at home.  ;D

Tullivor

Coon,

I purchased my lm 2000 this spring.  It too has the 15 hp kohler engine.  It also came with lap siding jig (1 pair), 4 ft extension, cover, 10 blades (only 3 used), sharpener and setter.  Buddy wanted 7500 for it but accepted my first offer of 5000.  Little did he know though is that I was willing to spend  whatever he wanted, she was coming home with me that night!  It is worth every penny, I absolutely love it.  I just finished cutting up a 24" diameter spruce tree, it took a little while but got the job done!  I am excited for you to get yours, good luck!
What species of wood you going to cut mostly?  Or a little bit of everything?

Coon

Well I went to look at the mill today and made the deal on it.  I did not however bring it home due to having trailer light issues.  :-[  I will be going to pick the mill up sometime this week once the light problem has been rectified. 

The mill has a feature that I never knew Norwood to have.  Along with the roller-toe boards it has a log roller feature where you pull on the lever to lift the toeboards and you pull it even further and the toe-boards flip over and bring up a row of wheels to use for flipping cants/logs.  I got a couple of pics that aren't very good as the Saskatchewan Gators (aka mosquitoes) were trying to carry us away.  ::)   It may be enough for you to see what I mean if not I am sure more pics will come in the near future.  ;D

The mill shows very little wear as the owner had previously mentioned.  The paint is somewhat faded on the mill bunks but the whole carriage assembly shows the bright orange paint as it was covered when not in use.  I will however have to take the cover to get resewn as the threads on the seams are letting go.  All in all I am sure I will be happy with the mill as a good starter mill.   ;D

SwampDonkey

Congratulations on becoming a new sawyer. I see you took the wife along to do the haggling and handling the cash box. :D ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ladylake

Congrats on your new mill, I like those wheels to make log turning easyier.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

sprucebunny

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Mission almost completed.  Congratulations !!!   That roller feature is interesting.

I know that you anxious to get that baby home, and we are anxious to see pictures of it making sawdust.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mad murdock

Now the fun begins!  You will not regret the purchase!!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Coon

Well I have had the sawdust in the blood for years..... and now I'll be able to feed my own addiction.  :D  Don't worry you'll see all kinds of pictures when I get this baby home and all dulled up for a demo.  Heck, I may even do a video specifically for the forum.  ;) 

Thanks everyone.

Nah Swamp Donkey, that isn't my wife and it isn't a cash box anyhow.  I kinda thought that I would get some kind of remarks about that.  That is Glen's wife in the picture along with my friend Arden who came along with me (actually drove  ;D)

cutterboy

Good for you Coon! You got yourself a good mill. I have a Lumbermate 2000 and it's been a great mill for me. I have the toe board-wheels combo on my mill. The rollers work great for moving the log back or forth but to tell the truth the wheels for turning logs or cants are a dissapointment. The thing is......if the log is so heavy that I need help turning it, the log is too heavy to lift the lever far enough to drop the rollers down and flip the wheels up.

But Coon, don't let that discourage you any. The LM2000 is a great and strong mill and you can saw lumber as straight and true as any mill made today.

Ralph
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Magicman

Quote from: Coon on July 25, 2011, 12:41:41 AM
I will however have to take the cover to get resewn as the threads on the seams are letting go. 

I use a Speedy Stitcher Sewing Awl to resew seams that loosen on my covers.

Slingshot

Coon,
              Here is something you may want to check on your mill when you
       first start using it. If the little scraper pads on the front rollers have
       gotten wet and swollen they may be hard and can act as a brake pad   
       and make the  carriage hard to push. They rub against the front rollers
       and if soft with a little transmission oil on them they do their job. Here is
       a picture of the pads and of one that was rubbing hard against the roller:

_charles_______________________-
sling_shot

Coon

Slingshot, thanks for the tip I will be checking that out more thoroughly when I get it home. 

15hp Kohler Command Pro starts rather well and purrs like a kitten.   ;D

Cutterboy,  I am sure I will find that out for myself   ;D  I got some big heavey spruce logs out at the farm to test it out on.   ;D  Maybe you wanna come show me how it's done.  ;)  :D  You could probably use a good vacation about now anyhow and I do know of a few good fishin' holes too.  ;D 

Magic, where would one be able to purchase a Speedy Stitcher Sewing Awl? Would it work to sew heavy canvas tarps? 

cutterboy

Quote from: Coon on July 25, 2011, 10:20:43 PM
  Maybe you wanna come show me how it's done.  ;)  :D  You could probably use a good vacation about now anyhow and I do know of a few good fishin' holes too.  ;D 
Coon, I'll be there first thing in the morning. I'll bring the grits for breakfast. :D :D :D

Man, I would love to help you set up your mill and see the excitement and joy in your eyes as you saw into your first log. If you lived close by I'd be there. You are going to love your mill. Good times ahead.

To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!