iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Urban Wood program in San Francisco

Started by Tom the Sawyer, July 18, 2011, 04:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom the Sawyer

Here is an interesting video promoting urban forestry and reclaiming urban woods in the San Francisco /Oakland, Ca. area.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/environment&id=8230835

Tom
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Kansas

I have had calls from construction companies worried about bad publicity when they had to take out trees for a construction project. I have had calls from private citizens outraged over trees being taken down to put in a big box store. The state of Kansas, when expanding their capitol building, took out a bunch of trees. To quell the outrage from so many people, they said they were going to cut it into lumber for plaques and who knows what else to give to state workers. Never mind that they hauled them to a sawmill where they sat for5 years or so before they decided to cut them up. At that point, the mill was out of business and they got hauled into our mill to be cut up. Ponderosa pine doesn't look too good after sitting for 5  years. About half the logs had to be tossed. Some species were still salvaged. To my knowledge the lumber went into a warehouse and has never been used.

PR is everything. You don't need to convince everyone a table is worth far more out of an urban log than a regular one. Just a few percent of the population. I always thought that having an enviromental remediation company, especially located near what are considered liberal areas, would do very well helping construction companies deal with citizen complaints about a project if you got in good with the greenies and managed to make use of every part of the tree for something useful. Some people will buy an 80 dollar table from Wal-Mart on price, but pay 50 times more from some tree in a historic park.

Thank You Sponsors!