iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

who makes the best swingblade sawmill peterson or lucas?

Started by jdsawmill, July 18, 2011, 01:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdsawmill

Could some mill owners help me out?I'm looking into buying a swingmill and the Peterson and Lucas both look good.
Duane

tjhammer

SAWMILL EXCHANGE
USED 1-2 MAN CIRCULAR SAWMILLS FOR SALE
as of Monday July 18, 2011
These are portable and transportable mills for 1-2 person personal and commercial use.  The two types are:

Specialized 3-blade circular sawmills    Specialized swing-blade circular sawmills

this site has used swing saws petersons,lucas and brandx
hammer

sgschwend

All of these folks make a good mill.  It more depends on what you want it for and what you need it to do. 

You may be able to obtain some feedback if you had specific questions.   But you may also find that every swingmill owner is happy with the machine they have so in a sense they would just be voting for what they know or have.

Don't forget along with the other three there is the Turbo Sawmill too. 
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

bandmiller2

Duane,youir getting into a Ford vs Chevy debate,their boath good.All I can say is call the manuf's and get the names of their mills in your area and spend a day with the guy cutting and make up your mind which you prefer.Myself if I was to go swinger I'd order a Brand X head and build everything else myself. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Meadows Miller

Gday

Welcome to The Forum JDSawmill  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) ;) where abouts are you located  ???

Like Steve and Frank said Most Blokes are happy with the mill they have chosen for themselves its sort of a personal choice it really comes down to if you like it Mate  ;)  I am a Lucas Man because they are a simple, rugged and easy mill to knock out some bloody decent production on also the fact that you can taper saw easily and they are a quick mill to set up I just love them as an all round good mill   ;) ;D 8)

If your in or near one of the 20 odd states I will be traveling through over the next three months  I would be more than happy to drop by with the 10-30 and Do a  Demo for you Mate  ;) ;D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

jdsawmill

Thank you everyone for your post over the last few days.I have been very busy.I am hoping to demo a Peterson mill this weekend they look really nice and they are a bit pricey.I live in north ga.I may also look at some used mills its a big decision to make and I want to be sure I make the right one when I do.
Duane

jdsawmill

I did watch a video of the turbo sawmill it nice to I may check in to it also for info and pricing.
Duane

tomtrees

I got the Peterson ATS. Just had a problem with the chain braking, not very clever. :o

I would really like to have a good look at the x brand and have an idea or comparison on price. I think it is US made and I dont know if you can get it in europe ? I have bought chippers and grinders from the US before and they have been above all built to last (although not all that pretty)

Between the Peterson and lucas I think the double cutting on the Peterson trumps the Lucas and I find that I am often double cutting.

terrifictimbersllc

Two reasons I picked the Peterson WPF were for a single point height adjustment, and for not wanting to deal with transporting or handling 20 foot rails.   Some Lucas owners however surely like the two point height adjustment (for taper) and not having to put together the rails, so would prefer just the opposite.  But I work mostly alone and 100% portable, so you can see how this can be a personal preference.  I'd weight heavily whether I could get a great deal on used equipment regardless of brand.  Definitely try to get your hands on both of them.  In the end if it is hard to decide that might mean there isn't much difference which one you choose.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Kelly Palmer

Do any of them have a ten or twelve foot wide machine???

sigidi

For my money, operating mostly on my own, earning a living for the past 10 years....
Lucas wins hands down, flexibility for cutting, portability, ease of use and most importantly customer service that just can't be beaten
Always willing to help - Allan

Seaman

JDSawmill
I am not that far from you, come up and run the Lucac if you would like. I have the swingblade, slabber, and planer.
FRank
828-442-7404
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

maple flats

As I understand it, Peterson's widest std mill is an ATS with a 60" potential log max, but I've heard a few cases where they made wider units, likely special order. Contact the Co. for that answer. A good person to start out with is Layla Robinson. I demo'd my Peterson with her and her boyfriend a few years ago at the New York State Woodsman's Field Days, In Boonville, NY. I think I had an ATS at the time, but I might have converted to a WPF by then.
If any of you are looking to build something, see my ad in the "for Sale" section.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

dgdrls

Welcome aboard K.P.

10' to 12' wide :o that would be industrial size IMHO,  not really mobile

length cut yes, no problem almost unlimited.

DGDrls

Gasawyer

Welcome to the forum JD sawmill. I'm down in Thomaston south of Atlanta and have a 618  Lucas if you want to try it. Both Lucas and Peterson have pros and cons. I chose the Lucas  because of the high tracks,portability, and large capacity. Good luck on your search.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

barbender

Customer service and parts availability are two subjects that would be high on my list with machines that come from the other side of the globe.
Too many irons in the fire

sigidi

Quote from: Kelly Palmer on October 12, 2013, 05:47:00 AM

I cut for another sawmiller down here who had a wider carriage made for his Lucas, not sure how wide it actually was though.
Always willing to help - Allan

Kelly Palmer

Quote from: Seaman on October 12, 2013, 07:15:16 AM
JDSawmill
I am not that far from you, come up and run the Lucac if you would like. I have the swingblade, slabber, and planer.
FRank
828-442-7404
That seems like a long hard ride to me, N Carolina, to Okla....

dgdrls

This thread is getting wapperjawed :D

has a 2+ year laps before KP restarted it.

Posted by: Kelly Palmer
« on: Today at 05:47:00 am »

Posted by: terrifictimbersllc
« on: July 20, 2011, 06:36:29 pm »

Two reasons I picked the Peterson WPF were for a single point height adjustment, and for not wanting to deal with transporting or handling 20 foot rails.   Some Lucas owners however surely like the two point height adjustment (for taper) and not having to put together the rails, so would prefer just the opposite.  But I work mostly alone and 100% portable, so you can see how this can be a personal preference.  I'd weight heavily whether I could get a great deal on used equipment regardless of brand.  Definitely try to get your hands on both of them.  In the end if it is hard to decide that might mean there isn't much difference which one you choose.

KP start a new thread and give us a little intro ;)

Look forward to reading it

Best
DGDrls

Seaman

WOW I missed that date!  And who told KP that I live in Okla????
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

tjhammer

JD do you want to go portable or stationary,I have a brand x stationary with 40ft of tract it cuts very true lumber and the saw head weighs enough you don't have the saw head bounce, no matter what you chuse both stationary or portable both mills have their good and bad points,I live 40 miles north of you and I have been to seaman's place he has a good setup with all the toys lol on your choice no matter what you chews you will like it and have lots of fun running it.
tj
hammer

tjhammer

frank in my old truck it was like you lived in olk
   tj
hammer

Ga_Boy

Both companies make good saws. You need to determine what your market will be.  Will you saw stationary more than mobile? Will you saw alone or have help?

To compare a Peterson to a Lucas you have to compare the Peterson ATS to the Lucas.  As a side note the Lucas is based on the Peterson ATS.   The Peterson WPS and ASM have a different set up than the ATS AND Lucas.

I ran a 10" WPF for a few years and it did the Job I needed it to do.

To decide between the two manufactures you need to determine your needs and market.

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

jueston

Quote from: tomtrees on July 20, 2011, 03:54:39 PM
I would really like to have a good look at the x brand and have an idea or comparison on price. I think it is US made and I dont know if you can get it in europe ? I have bought chippers and grinders from the US before and they have been above all built to last (although not all that pretty)

only a french man would say that a log grinder isn't pretty enough...  :D  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!