iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack external brake

Started by madmari, July 18, 2011, 07:04:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmari

I am trying to figure out a way to rig a brake on my 230 that I can trust- the internal shoe system works, but I have had it slip, causing extreme accelerated heartrate. :o
  I've seen external brake bands and it would seem they would work better.

This forum supports an ingenious lot- surely someone out there with more on the ball than me has devised something that will hold with some confidence.

Any ideas??

I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

smwwoody

I built a collar for the drive shaft that let me bolt a brake rotor from a 3/4 ton truck to it then fabed a bracket from the frame to hold the calaper. Not a good long term parking brake as the hyd brakes will leak off over time 
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

JayG

You might search for "drive shaft emergency brake" on the WWW. I've done a couple on hotrods. Same idea, just a "little" more weight on your machine. ;)

oldseabee

External bands would tend to pack up with debris and drag which could cause a fire. What type master cylinder does your machine have? Single stage or 2 stage? Some of the older Clark skidders used a 2 stage, the first stage was a large diameter piston that would give a lot of flow to engage the brake and then would shift internally to a small diameter piston to generate high pressure for greater braking force. I believe they were made by Bendix.

madmari

I assume this to be a single stage, as there is no difference in pressure. The transfer case seal was bad and oil got to the bands. Changed the seal, dried the bands and althought the brake holds, it has a slow bleed and releases. Seems like a poor design.
I keep the rig clean, so debris isn't an issue. I like the idea of the rotor- at least you can see the rotor/pads and keep them oil free to some extent.

Bobus2003

Quote from: JayG on July 18, 2011, 10:36:11 AM
You might search for "drive shaft emergency brake" on the WWW. I've done a couple on hotrods. Same idea, just a "little" more weight on your machine. ;)

'87-'97 Ford F-Super Duty Trucks (Not the F250/F350 Super Duty) have a Driveshaft brake like mentioned here.. They will hold pretty tight.. Think one of those would be easy to put on your skidder

oldseabee

I was wrong about the vendor on the master cylinder. Mico is the manufacturer, below is a link to them.
http://www.mico.com/products/images/34_docfile.pdf
this takes you to a catalog and how to spec out a two stage master cylinder.

240b

Timberjack offered a free band type parking park for those machines up until about '96.  The kit included a mounting bracket, band, cable and hand control lever.  It was part of a lawsuit settlement. I wonder if the parts are still avaible though JD.  Most all the 230/225's around here have had that upgrade done.  This set up works well, you just need to put a rubber cover over it in the winter to keep out the snow which turns to ice.   

madmari

I've seen those external band brakes. I thought they were an option upgrade, but saw the lawsuit issue on the net. Maybe I'll try Pete's Repair in Morrisville. Bob there has come through on other parts  in short order. Nortrax here has parts but they are very Deere to them. Wanted $1275 for a clutch disk, plate and bearing. Called Pete's- $580 with freight.

Thank You Sponsors!