iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill problem, suggestions

Started by wd, July 17, 2011, 11:06:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wd

Was in the middle of cutting a log and I had a mill breakdown.   The mill head won't raise up. It will go down but not up.  Mill is a B20.  Toggle switch seems to be working, I can hear the solenoids click, both up and down.  Battery is good. I have installed  a heavy duty reel previously.  Motor turns down just will not go up.  I am hoping for ideas on what to check or others have had this problem previously.  Thanks

Chuck White

Use a test light and check both wires going to the up/down motor!

The light should come on when moving the switch in one direction, on one wire and when the switch is moved the other direction the light should come on when checking the other wire.

If you have light when checking each wire, problem would likely be the motor, brushes worn out or the motor otherwise shorted!

If the light doesn't come on, on one line, start tracing back toward the switch.

Good luck.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ladylake

The motor is wired to reverse directions when you reverse polarity, first unhook the computer when you working in electrical stuff. Take the cover off the back of the motor and unhook both big wires then hook on jumper cables or heavy jumper wires. Hook on to the battery and test, one way will be down and when you reverse the cables it will be up. If it won't go up it would be the motor. If it goes up a solenoid or bad connection .   Also check the limit switch on top so it isn't stuck Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

SPIKER

If the motor is working DOWN then it is not the motor but the contractor that is turning on switching the direction of the motor.   there should be either 2 or 4 contacts (look like a ford starter solenoid on may machines not familiar with the B20 though.)   usually two of them turn on at the same time sending power in one direction (+ to -) to go up. those two stay on until you let off the switch and BOTH should open up.   when going the other direction the other two pull in sending power out (- to +) of the motor and it spins in the other direction going down then.

any one of the 4 can/will stop the motor from moving as in many cases the electricity flows through all 4 relays to prevent accidentally crossing the battery & shorting it out or applying power up and down at same time.   the 1st solenoid (normally closed) to the 2nd pair (normally open) contacts.  this way all 4 relays MUST work for the machine to function properly one bad set of contacts or coil or solenoid and the system does what you have happening.

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

redbeard

check the plug connector to the computer thats usually what gets bumped.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

ladylake

It wouldn't be the plug on the computer as it will go up with it unhooked, it won't go down unless hooked up. I built a gaurd to gaurd that plug on my B20.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

sgschwend

You say you can hear the solenoids clicking. 

But are you sure, both pairs are "clicking".  If only one solenoid of a pair then the head will not move in that direction. 

When you test this out be careful not to short out your battery.  If you can put your fingers on the switch bodies and have someone move the switch then you can feel each one switch.  You certainly can measure the control voltage at each switch too.  That should be enough to tell what is going on.

Good Luck,

Steve
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

wd

Ya'll thanks for the suggestions.  I will have to wait till Saturday before trying them.  I'll let ya know how it goes.

Thanks

Thank You Sponsors!