iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cant Hook or Standard Peavy?

Started by Kirk_Allen, January 09, 2004, 06:54:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk_Allen

Can some one tell me what the differences are between a cant hook, standard peavy, and a rafting peavy?

I have a cant hook that seems to work fine but have never used a peavy.

I know the peavy has a pointed end instead of a blunt end but dont know what the advantages or disadvantages are.

Any insight is appreaciated as always!

Thanks
Kirk

Tom

A cant hook has a blunt end but generally ridges to grip the log.  It is the most friendly around the sawmill (to me) because I would have a peavy point stuck in my foot. :D  It doesn't hang in the metal corners of the mill a damage hoses etc.

A Peavy was developed, as I understand it, by Mr. Peavey combining the point used on a Pike pole with the cant hook so that river rafters would have the best of both worlds in one tool. The point is used to push logs in the water and probably helps to pry them apart in a jam.

Some folks like one and some folks like the other around the mill. You have to lean a cant hook up or throw it on the ground.  You can stick the peavy in the ground and its easy to find next time. :D  I'm a cant hook guy. ;D

Here is a link to a good write-up on the subject.

http://www.ruralheritage.com/logging_camp/peavey.htm

MrMoo

Around here a peavey is used when working on the woods. You can drive the point into the ground and then use that as a pivot point to push against a log.
My impression is that most peaveys are not made a strong as a cant hook.

East_West_Dan

Like Tom my choice is a cant hook. Maybe it's what you get started with. I picked up an old one about 30 years ago that is about five foot that I had to make a new White Oak handle for and have a two footer for when things get whittled down a bit or the logs are small. I also keep a steel bar around for prying or levering the logs you can't roll sometimes. I've used a peavy but just don't feel comfortable with them.

slowzuki

I've got a 5 ft peavey and it is heavy, much more than a cant hook or 3 ft peavey.

In the woods the point lets you stick it in the ground to find it again and can leverage against stumps etc.  It is a little bit clumsier rolling logs than the cant hook, especially if you are working with slash etc around.

isawlogs

I'm a cant hook man but I do have a peavy around . My log building buddy's use peavys wile working on log buildings to pry and place logs .
 I own many cant hooks 18 inch for the mill 36 inch to get logs to the loader and a 48 inch for whoe ever is around that thinks that the other ones are to small for him....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ron Wenrich

Cant hooks are much better for turning logs on a mill.  Peaveys have a tendency to slip to the left or right.  

We have one peavey at the debarker.  We replaced the handle with a steel pipe and welded the hook to it.  It bends, but doesn't break.  We also took the tip off, so its kinda like a cant hook without the front grip.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Stan

Around here you can only get peaveys at the Cumberland General Store. Everybody else sells cant hook with short handles. About $40, for the cant hook, then another $18 for a 5' handle. I thought for awhile there OSHA had done away with the long handles.  :-/
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Wes

I use a cant hook for turning cants,and a peavy for working with logs.

Frickman

We have three cant hooks of different sizes and two peavies at the mill. The cant hooks work great when the logs are squared up into cants, and the peavies are used for big logs. It depends on the situation what you use. Sometimes if two of us are turning a log one uses a cant hook and one a peavy. I don't prefer one or the other, but I know I can't live without either.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Thank You Sponsors!