iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of bug is this? and new kids in the house.

Started by Chris Burchfield, July 17, 2011, 09:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Burchfield

Outside yesterday morning having my coffee.  A visitor showed up looked like a cross between a bumble bee and a humming bird.  Maybe 1/3 to 1/4 the size of a humming bird.  Had a tail that fanned out and used creating balance.  I looked on several insect sites for the South Eastern U.S. couldn't find anything that looked like this.

Wife got an email from a friend a few weeks ago.  The Memphis ran Animal shelter had several dogs and cats that were to be put down after 5:p.m. if not adopted.  We were down to two cats from four.  Over the last year one died of natural causes.  The other was 15 YOA, health was declining, appetite down, finally lost use of a rear leg.  I put her down.  Well off to the shelter.  There were several cages and at least 50 cats and dogs.  One of the greys below was reaching out of it's cage as wife passed.  Wife asked an assistant to get it out.  It was one of the two greys but, had three black siblings and no mama cat.  This is why they were at risk with the 5:p.m. dead line.  Well, wife walked around talking to it and stroking it.  I looked and wife's eyes were all wet.  She was having a hormonal moment.  I said what?  She said she knew what was going to happen after 5.  I said, you still work.  I'm not at home to baby sit or entertain a new kitten.  I told her she could get two as they would entertain themselves and not leave one lonely all day.  They were five weeks old at best a few weeks ago when we picked them up.  I guess the best of the story is all the animals at risk were adopted by 5:p.m. that day.  I could'n tell one from the other for a good while.  Later one developed a light stripe of hair down it's back.  Our Gdaughter Madison named them:  Tom and Jerry, go figure.

Wife can holler:  Meat and milk!  They sound like a heard of horses with their paws hitting the hard wood floor coming to the kitchen.

Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

doctorb

We used to call them hummingbird moths.  Have no idea if that's correct.  They are pretty cool.  Nice kittens.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

Clear winged Sphinx moth. Same family as hummingbird moths. They are classified into 4 groups in this family based on wing venation and some details of the hind wings.

Nice baby kittens. ;D

Jeff has some video of a hummingbird moth at his flowers at home. I have never seen any around here.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jim king

Chris Burchfield

Clear Winged Hummingbird Moth, that's what it is when I Goggled it.  Thanks guys.  The antennae through me off from considering a moth.  Funny my first impression was associated with a Hummingbird.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Chuck White

Around here, we get quite a few Sphinx Moths.

I didn't realize there was the Sphinx Moth and the Hummingbird Moth!

No telling what you may learn on this Forum! ;)  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

Same family Sphingidae, and the name I used came from an insect ID book with a detailed drawing.  I suspect the words are interchangeable. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SPIKER

Nice kittens, ours ended up missing, looked like those.  not sure if Fox, Coyote or one of the Red Tails got her or not she disappeared.

I have seen those moths too & wondered what the heck they were first one was 20 or so years ago when I was teenager as it was 1st time seeing one, so they are somewhat rare  I think.   I have seen maybe 2 or 3 in my life, we had a humming bird bush that one would come too about every 45 min. when I was 17 or 18.   I think our cat ate it :p :o ::)

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Norm

Cool bug! We see them a couple of times a year feeding on our salvia's.

red oaks lumber

last summer we had a bunch of the hummer moths, sitting outside in the evening they would work the flowers right where we were sitting . kind of creepy having them inches from you :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Brucer

I saw a couple of hummingbird moths around here many, many years ago. They hung around for a couple of days -- just long enough for me to convince Barb that I wasn't kidding. That's the only time I've seen them in the 30 years I've been living here.

They sure had us scratching our heads until Barb found them in the insect book.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!