iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

natural gas home station

Started by red, July 15, 2011, 11:26:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red

i like the idea of refueling at home with the gas line we have from the street but i do not like leaving it hooked up over nigjt    also we may be selling this house and i would throw in the cng vehicle too
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Al_Smith

red

yes it could be instaled in two weeks

LOGDOG

You should do it. T. Boone does it. What a great selling perk for the house. It would definitely set it apart from the other homes for sale. Great idea.

chevytaHOE5674

Is there some sort of meter on it so that you pay the applicable road tax for that fuel?

red

i am typing on my cellphone so i can not link you to any sites but i hate paying at a local station and then seeing hit ten cents cheaper i just want the home station safe and not have a new one come out to make mine obsolete

LOGDOG

My neighbor that works for Centerpoint Energy was telling me that in LA they have a sticker that you get. They record the mileage on the vehicle and you pay the appropriate tax due when you update the sticker. If you operate without the sticker though and get caught, they tax you on the entire mileage of the vehicle.  :o So that's apparently one way of addressing road tax in LA. Not sure about other areas.

shelbycharger400

logdog...  just drive an old veh , and know how to "reset" the odometer 

pineywoods

Sorry to throw cold water on this idea. Sounds good at first glance. There's a few gotcha's. You can't just run a hose from your house gas line to the tank on your cng vehicle. Pressure on the house gas is less than 1 or 2 psi. Gotta pump that up to 3500 psi to fuel up. In other words run a big expensive pump all night long. Electric bill will go through the roof. Better to use the juice to charge a big battery and go electric.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: shelbycharger400 on July 19, 2011, 09:51:14 PM
logdog...  just drive an old veh , and know how to "reset" the odometer 

Good idea, take money away from the highway departments. I mean our roads are in terrible shape now so why not take money away from them so they can only get worse.  :-\

shelbycharger400

all road work is "done" on sealed bid   one road by my parents house,  has been torn up, still not done, and its been 2 years ! and its only 7 miles long.    government contracts ... milked out...ect ect.... winds up costing us more, in extra driving around all the work site.    few years ago, In mn.. around 2005.  they passed a  newer tax law,  on all new veh sales ... to put into the highway division..    not much changed,    few years ago,  a dollar hike in licence tags... so the highway patrol gets new cars....     I have yet to ever see a cop car that is more than 4-5 years old,         take a road trip down south...  theirs 1970's big blocks roaming  , the diplomats,  cordovas,  chevy novas.. camaros...ect ect ect.. 

Yes ... im a firm believer in taking back!   because they have taken more than we will ever get back out of it.
I dont feel bad for someone standing holding a road sign makin 10-25 per hour...   or a plow operator makin 25-50 per hour.   more to them.       minnesota,  their is over 50 cents to the gallon... just in road tax.    then theirs the new vehicle b/s deal... cant remember how much goes to highway dept.             their is a lot of miss use of funds!   and i can ramble/ list many
biggest that *pithed me off...  was when i overheard  a worker at the county building, asking to use the county car to go to target , then *pithed and moaned bout 2 min later comming back in the building that the car was out of gas.  ,   county workers/ police departments driving gov cars to their personal home..       i pay for their gas to leasure drive home on.   >:(     

LOGDOG

Re:  CNG home filling stations ... It's available today. This article: http://arkansasnews.com/2009/10/26/fill-%E2%80%99er-up-at-home-cng-refueling-station-a-first/  discusses it. It's just painfully slow. I did meet a gentleman here in Shreveport at a Haynesville Shale expo where I was in the room with T.Boone Pickens discuss the matter. This gentleman told T.Boone that he had invented a similar filling device that accomplished the task in half the time. (T. Boone had commented that he leaves his Civic hooked up to fill overnight.

Some other interesting tidbits .... https://www.plumbersstock.com/fuelmaker.html

Just Google CNG Home Filling Stations. Lots of articles come up.

We could put one in our place today if we had a vehicle that ran on CNG. But it'd just be easier for me to drive into town to one of our CNG stations that pumps it at 3600 psi lickity split and be off and running.  ;) The day is coming when it will be that easy for most Americans.

DouginUtah

Just don't try to drive across Wyoming in a natural gas powered car.  :D  ;D
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

gunman63

Quote from: shelbycharger400 on July 19, 2011, 10:50:40 PM
all road work is "done" on sealed bid   one road by my parents house,  has been torn up, still not done, and its been 2 years ! and its only 7 miles long.    government contracts ... milked out...ect ect.... winds up costing us more, in extra driving around all the work site.    few years ago, In mn.. around 2005.  they passed a  newer tax law,  on all new veh sales ... to put into the highway division..    not much changed,    few years ago,  a dollar hike in licence tags... so the highway patrol gets new cars....     I have yet to ever see a cop car that is more than 4-5 years old,         take a road trip down south...  theirs 1970's big blocks roaming  , the diplomats,  cordovas,  chevy novas.. camaros...ect ect ect.. 

Yes ... im a firm believer in taking back!   because they have taken more than we will ever get back out of it.
I dont feel bad for someone standing holding a road sign makin 10-25 per hour...   or a plow operator makin 25-50 per hour.   more to them.       minnesota,  their is over 50 cents to the gallon... just in road tax.    then theirs the new vehicle b/s deal... cant remember how much goes to highway dept.             their is a lot of miss use of funds!   and i can ramble/ list many
biggest that *pithed me off...  was when i overheard  a worker at the county building, asking to use the county car to go to target , then *pithed and moaned bout 2 min later comming back in the building that the car was out of gas.  ,   county workers/ police departments driving gov cars to their personal home..       i pay for their gas to leasure drive home on.   >:(     
A cop car , 4-5 years old, most of the time they are that old they are worn out, the up keep is more than the car is worth, want them to be out on  patrol and break  down when theres a call, they run the used  county ones thru a auction up here, they go very cheap, they are junk, anit worth fixing, good for  derby cars tho.
to me its a good deal for them to bring the cars home, they are on  patrol till the  time they get home for work, and when they leave in the morning, also a good idea to have cars scattered around the county, think if they get a call at nite weather its a car crash, or a break  in or a domestic, the cop has to get up,go to town, get the car, go to the call more often then not the way they just came  from.
MN gas tax is 31.6 cents
fed is 18.4 cents
total of 50 cents  still anit enough, we need way better roads all over this country

shelbycharger400

didnt mean to hyjack this thread,  but on the subject of taxes.. and wasteful spending

city of rogers mn....   they buy Brand new cars every year for their fleet.    i dont understand how the southern states for a while were buying thes 3-5 year old cars from here...and bringing them down south .       i hope someone from the south chimes in

MN gas tax is 31.6 cents
fed is 18.4 cents

so every week  if im driving just to work  25 miles one way to work.   5 days a week,     my stratus gets 26 mpg, .  i spend around .78 a week   with 50cents on the gallon equates to 20.8 in taxes, just in gas.    now come in august,  it will be more due to me drivin another 25 miles round trip to work to the college then home.           we are all taxed to death...then past it.  sometime do a complete log of everything you buy, pay tax on ect.... and see how much of your income is gone.. it will make you sick.

gunman63

the city of rogers is buying new cars for there total fleet, or just rotating them some  every year? say a 4 or 5 year rotation.

didnt really understand your computing on the gas tax, if u are driving  25 miles one way 5 days a week or 5 miles a day one way. u spend .78 cents a week in gas tax, then later 20.8 cents in  gas tax, i didnt really figure this out.

shelbycharger400

oops.... yep...correction . i drive 25 miles ONE way...so its 50 miles round trip a day.  thats just to work.       looked at my bank report... i spend about $ 78 per week in gas.      $ 78 / 3.75 = 20.8 gal       at .50 per gal tax....  that equals out to 10.4 dollars in tax per week.       

all of the fleet of rogers are changed out... right from the local chevy dealer.

this tax dosnt include gas for my truck,  the wood splitter or the chain saw gas.  or the gas to mow my lawn once a month weather it needs it or not  1 acre ...taking about 2 gal max.      splitter...seems to run forever on 2 gal.    truck gets 13mpg..   rarely drive it more than 10 miles one way.    not uncommon for me to go through 2 to 3 tanks in the chain saw..for 2 saws to fill the 3/4 ton dodge to the point the wood is stacked higher than the cab tapered back, on overloads. lol.... good ol 318/ 727 and dana 60  with 4 .11.               if i could convert this truck to something cheap, rarely drives on the tar.   and sits more than i drive it.

Al_Smith

At the risk of sounding pessimistic about some of these things a point might be made here .

Just how many people living in the US and Canada would feel safe with a cannister holding liquid natural gas at 3600 PSI ? Along the same lines of hydrogen for auto fuel .I mean think about it ,very few people alive today that remember the Hindenberg incident but never the less they don't trust the stuff .

I know before any affectionado of this stuff rebuts but never the less I know human nature too .It would take a reincarnation of PT Barnum to ever sell this stuff to the American public .

red

p t barnum meet t boone pickens

LOGDOG

Al ...there's probably more risk from having a propane kitchen stove in your house than having a CNG filling apparatus in the garage. As long as it's been through the paces in the R&D department of the manufacturer and you respect it, like any other tool in your home, I doubt it's gonna jump off the wall and bite you.

T. Boone probably sleeps just fine at night.

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: LOGDOG on July 23, 2011, 07:09:48 PMT. Boone probably sleeps just fine at night.

Because his bed is stuffed with 100 bills and his home CNG refueling station is in the garage. Which has its own mechanic to watch it and is 1/4 miles from the house. hahaha

Al_Smith

That's probabley got a lot of merit to it Logdog .Now sell that idea to the American public .

Let me tell you it will fly about as good as a lead balloon .People in the US of A have been scamed so much they don't trust anyone ,anymore .Just a fact .

LOGDOG

You're smart chevytaHOE5674 ....separate garage is definitely another added layer of protection.

I still trust people Al.  ;) It's not America's distrust that will hold this technology back, it's their apathy.  ::)

shelbycharger400

i know i wouldnt be scared of a tank under the car.    not any worse than totin round 15 gal  of instand fire ball with gasoline should a bad enough accident happen, or if and when a gas line ruptures and sprays on the exh manifold.

Al_Smith

Certainly in some situations LNG would be an option .However just like the hybrids and plug ins or diesels for that matter it won't appeal to the masses .

I mean if you raise corn or soy beans of course you'd tout ethanol or bio-diesel .If you were engaged in natural gas then obviously you'd be a champion of LNG . Not pointing fingers here because collectively they will all work to some degree . No praticular one by itself will solve the problem .

Thank You Sponsors!