Previous topic - Next topic

pappy19

2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

sandhills

I've never heard of that, neat video and thanks for sharing it.  Somehow I get the feeling that isn't OSHA approved though  :D.

Tom

That was Standard Operating Procedure when I was a kid.  It was one of the first things I was taught after learning not to blow my foot off or point at someone.

It turned my meager purchase of one 10ยข shell at a time into a .410 bird gun that would take a deer.  I kept a cut shell and my pocket knife in one pocket and my other shell, if I had more, in the other.  Either a #6 or #8 was in the gun, but I was prepared.

ely

Tom, what needs to be pointed out is the fact that when you were a kid we didnt have any of these extra full turkey chokes ,etc. those lead shot (cut shells) and (punkinheads) shot just fine thru the open bores and modified chokes, even ok thru a full choke if you can stand the extra recoil.

fast forward to todays times and we have the tighter chokes plus alot of steel shot out there to shoot for ammo.
most folks do not realize the danger in ringing a steel shot load and shooting it thru a tight choke gun. the steel shot refuses to compress and deform to fit thru the choke like the lead will.
it can with the right (or wrong) combination increase the pressure in the barrel to where very bad things happen.

i re read what i had typed and in no way direct this at tom, i just wanted to point out that Barry and his cohort may get someone injured at best.

Chuck White

When we were teens, we would carry a couple of cut-shells when we went small game hunting right after deer season closed, just in case we happened across a nice buck.

We had to help feed the family ya know!

I think we only got one buck with a cut-shell though!

As mentioned, it can be dangerous and don't do it with steel shot!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!