iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT-40 band tension problem

Started by shinnlinger, July 11, 2011, 07:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hi,

A guy I know in town has an Lt 40 that he uses VERY little and I was asking him about it today.  He said he can't get the bands tight enough to stop wobbling.  That his hydraulic tensioner only puts out half the pressure it used to.  He said it has fluid so I figured I would ask here.  I have only seen the mill from a distance under a tarp so I cant give many details, but I would like to help him saw if I can.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Chris Burchfield

It's one thing to have oil.  It's another to use ATF that's called for.  Then, it's another thing to be full.  I've had mine bleed down, usually because I forgot to take the tension off when I was through sawing.  Then I didn't get back to the mill for a month or more.  Do that a couple of times and you'll lose enough of the ATF where you can't develop the pressure required.  Now that you know this, you might try to make him an offer on that worn out mill.  You know it would take a lot of money to bring it back up to par.  Don't know what you might wind up with.    :D :D :D :D
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Buck

Tensioner rebuild kit is less than 20 bucks and so easy a caveman can do it. :D
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Magicman

I did the tensioner rebuild this Spring.  As Buck said, it was so simple that I didn't even take pictures of it.  Chris nailed the requirement about filling.  It's also possible to get air in the cylinder which might prevent it from pressuring correctly.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MartyParsons

Add an Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) such as Dexron III ATF to
the hydraulic blade tensioner as needed. To add enough fluid to completely fill the tensioner
block:
1. Unscrew the tensioner handle to reveal 2" of thread. Remove the sawmill blade housing
covers and blade.
2. Push the idle-side blade wheel/shaft housing all the way in to collapse the rear tensioner
piston. Pull the idle-side blade wheel/shaft housing away from the tensioner.
3. There are two fill plugs provided on the tensioner. For easiest access, it is recommended
to use the hole behind the gauge to refill the tensioner. Clean any dirt and debris from the
plug area. Use a 7/16" wrench to remove the plug, making sure to keep the plug o-ring
with the plug.
4. Use a small funnel, cup or squirt can to add hydraulic fluid through the fill plug hole until a
puddle of fluid forms and is maintained over the fill hole. As you maintain the puddle,
manually extend the rear piston. Be careful not to draw air into the tensioner. Use pliers to
pull the rear piston if necessary, but only grip the outer 1/4" of the rear piston. Gripping or
marring the surface beyond this point could result in seal damage and prevent the system
from holding tension. Continue pulling out the piston as far as it will travel.
5. Reinsert the plug and thread 2-3 turns. Turn the tension handle clockwise until 6 or 7
threads show beyond the front piston block. Tighten the plug all the way.
6. Push the idle-side blade wheel/shaft housing all the way in to collapse the rear tensioner
piston. If the piston does not extend at least 2" from the end of the tensioner block, repeat
Steps 1-5.
7. Reinstall the blade and blade housing covers. If you have trouble installing a blade, it may
be necessary to remove some fluid. Open the plug one turn and turn the tension handle in
until some fluid is pushed out. Tighten the plug and retry.
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

shinnlinger

Thanks!

I will print and pass along(after I try to convince him he should sell it to me for scrap of course).  Get that Woodmizer going!

Dave
Shinnlinger

shinnlinger

Well well,,

In July I asked this question and I printed off your great responses and gave them to him the next day.  Last night (3 months later) I get a call that it didn't work so I went out and ran thru the list with him today and almost ordered a rebuild kit because when I  pushed the bandwheel in nothing came out of the port behind the gauge.

"3. There are two fill plugs provided on the tensioner. For easiest access, it is recommended to use the hole behind the gauge to refill the tensioner."

For shits and grins I pulled the plug on the opposite side (ironically easier to get to) and then proceeded  with the instructions and she tightened right up as advertised.

Thanks for the advice, but future reference may want to pull both plugs in the tensioner if only one isn't getting you the results you want.

Dave
Shinnlinger

Thank You Sponsors!