iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mountain Ash

Started by Jeff, July 11, 2011, 03:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Does anyone know if there is anything crawling or floating around out there that would prohibit pruning a mountain ash this time of year?  I have one in the yard that has grown enough that some low limbs are about knocking me off the mower now. I'd like to nip em off, but don't want to endanger the tree.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

JimTwoSticks

If the tree does not have fire blight or cytospora canker (the only two diseases that hit mountain ash that come to mind) then you are fine.
Any black crooked branch tips or open cankers on the branches? If so...prune at the soil line? ;)
If not, have fun pruning though if you are completely unsure or slightly paranoid about it you can always disinfect the pruning saw.

Jeff

No sign of anything wrong with it other than it's growing like mad. :)

Coon

I have been wondering the same thing also as I got clotheslined today while tryiong to mow with the push mower.  Thinking my tree will have a nice conversation with the pruners tomorrow.   :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

SwampDonkey

I prune when required. I had to take the chainsaw to an oak and some pine the other day.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

We dont prune oak this time of year due to oak wilt.

Ron Scott

Light prunning as needed should be ok. Better to prune heavier as needed after September 15th or so.

~Ron

SwampDonkey

The oak had some limbs smaller than an inch that drooped down when the leaves came on and a couple ugly jack pines needed some bottom limbs whacked. I figured pruning during the growing season heals the wounds, or begins to. Pruning something like an apple tree is a different art, where often times the pruning is up in the tops.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

OneWithWood

My take on pruning is to do it whenever the mood hits you.  Better to prune a little early than to not prune at all.  If you take care to prune correctly by cutting the branch a few inches away from the bole and then cutting the stump just at the collar the tree should heal regardless of the time of year.  A healthy tree should be able to ward off most infections.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

JimTwoSticks

Yes, and no. If the tree is susceptible or the pathogen is exceptionally strong (the oak wilt situation, fire blight, and the list goes on  :)) then it doesn't matter how perfect your pruning cut is you may have just ended your yard tree's life or....emptied your wallet if you want to attempt to "save" it.
There is also the consideration of nutrient balance within the tree during the seasons

Jeff

We have oak wilt strong around here, and you still see people trimming on them and cutting them down. Its as close to me as across the road and down 50 yards. I would hate to see my oak trees die. Hopefully the paved road is good enough divider that there isn't any root grafting going on. to this side.  The next door neighbor lost the biggest oak on the neighborhood I think it was two years ago. Some of the foresters looked at it as it was dieing during the pigroast. They had trimmed a large branch off that was rubbing on their roof in June and at that time it looked fine. By August most of the leaves were gone.

Tom

Do you think that trimming the limb had anything to do with it, or was it just a coincidence?
There's always a worry by nurserymen that their pruning gear might transfer a pathogen.

Jeff

I think it was the pruning for sure.

JimTwoSticks

It's possible but hard to say for sure. Time from initial infection to death in some red oaks can be very, very short (as short as 1-2 months).
If it's that close Jeff maybe you should have a donation jar at the pig roast for a vibratory plow treatment around your property   ::)

Jeff

Not much chance of that. All the utilities here are underground.

Thank You Sponsors!