iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

advice on sticker burns etc.

Started by aschleger, July 10, 2011, 01:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aschleger

I am working on a long term timber frame project that I am borrowing storage space for.  During the spring, the roof leaked and many pieces are showing some coloration and some sticker burn.  I am worried about this affecting the finished product.  I have been treating the situation with diluted bleach solution as advised.  Am I doomed to have unsightly marks in the finished product, or will the bleach and eventual sanding make the final product look good?

Any advice or expertise would be much appreciated

Tom

Welcome to the forum, aschleger.

I believe that only way to stop sticker shadow is to have dry stickers and keep the surface of the lumber dry.  Some stain is chemical and caused by contact with two incompatible woods.  It is best to sticker with the same wood as the lumber, or with dried stickers of woods that aren't known to stain.

Sticker stain, sawdust shadow, milldew, and various other stains will go deep if left alone and you will not be able to plane them out.  If you have wet wood, unstack it and get it's surfaces dry as soon as possible, then restack and sticker.

The bleach might kill the mold.  Sanding and planing might get rid of stained wood (though that is a toss-up).  The best thing is to get the wood cleaned of fungus and dried with a good flow of air.

witterbound

I think you're stuck with it.  Put the unsightly marks to the outside or top or somewhere they won't show, if you can.

Thank You Sponsors!