iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Truck tires

Started by Ken, July 10, 2011, 01:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

I am in need of a new set of tires for my 2500 Series GM.  The last several sets of tires that I have purchased have been Michelin LTX M/S.  The last set I bought were labelled LTX M/S2 and I did not get as much mileage out of them for some reason even though I rotated them on a regular basis. 

What are your thoughts on a good quality 10 ply tire?  Although I spend lots of time on dirt and logging roads the vast majority of my 60-70K kms (40-44K miles)/year is on the pavement.   

Cheers
Ken
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Black_Bear

Ken, I've been a Cooper fan for years and currently am running a set of Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx mud and snow tires. They have an aggressive tread and are reinforced with Kevlar. I put on 46,000 miles last year and run nothing but 10 ply due to the same circumstances that you experience. These tires run well down the pavement and handle the gravel just fine. I rotate them every 5000 miles and run them at 45psi.

They were about $900US mounted and balanced in northern NH. I run them from May 1st to November 1st and will get at least two seasons out of them and generally get part of a third season on them, especially the mud and snows. Hope this helps.

Ed

Bobus2003

I run Recaps.. I may only get a year (30-40K miles) but at $100 each i think their more than worth it

tyb525

Mastercraft Courser AT2's are pretty decent tires.

I just bought some BFGoodrich Commercial T/A Traction, 265/75/16", 10 ply (E) for the rear of my 2wd 1500. They perform wonderfully. Pretty aggressive, but they have a great ride on the highway and they've never got me stuck. I've run them for 8,000 mi now and I can't see any signs of wear yet.

I run 50 PSI in them, but in a 3/4 ton I'd run 60 all around, or 60 front/80 rear if I'm hauling anything.

I would not get anything but a mud/snow tire, even if you do lots of highway driving. All it takes is getting stuck one time to make you wish you'd have got a M/S tire.

Keep in mind, mud tires will get you stuck in snow/ice. The big lugs spaced far apart are worse on ice than street tires if they do not have "siping" (little cuts in the tread). You need tires rated for mud AND snow.

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

snowstorm

yearts a go a pal gave me a pair of 235..16 michlein tires almost worn out. sent them in had bandad caps put on . went on the rear f250 when they finally wore out they had just over 100,000 miles on them. never rotated

barbender

I put Firestone Transforce on mine, after I ran the set of Firestones that were on my truck when I bought it for about 70,000 miles. They should have been replaced when I bought it, and I intended too, but the spare $1300 never came around (I have a dually). I'd guess those tires went a total of 120,000 to 140,000 miles.
Too many irons in the fire

Chuck White

I don't have a 2500, mine is a 1500 Silverado and I just bought a set of 4 tires about 3 weeks ago.

I hunted far and wide for a good price on good tires.

I ended up at Sears.

I got a set of 4 GEO-TRAC M&S LT265-75R16 for $653.00, out the door!

They're a good tire, but a little noisier than the old P-Series I took off!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

tyb525

LT tires give a better ride down the highway, more support in the sidewalls. Some people choose P tires for their half tons, but I personally don't trust car tires on any truck.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

sawguy21

I maintained a fleet of light and medium duty trucks for a logging company, the best tire we could find was the Toyo M606 Open Country. Good on logging roads winter and summer, stable  and reasonably quiet on the highway. It was the only one we could get more than 50,000 km (30,000 mi) out of, those clowns were hard on equipment.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mad murdock

Toyo tires are OK, but do not wear as well as Cooper, Kelly, or Goodyear.  I would stick with one of those 3 brands, if it were my money.  We use a lot of Toyo at my work on our fleet of GM HD diesel pickups, and 50,000 is about all you get out of a set.  I have seen the 3 other brands I have mentioned go 80-100k.  Toyo are cheaper, but you just have to pencil it out and see what is your best value per mile for the price you have to pay.  Retreads are a good choice, if you have a good source close by.  That is what we run on the 16 big trucks we have, and they work well, and wear like iron.  Seems like it is getting harder and harder to find good retreads in the LT/pass vehicle side of things.  Of course we cannot use them on the steer tires, those have to be virgin rubber.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Woodboogah

I agree with the courser mastercraft at2's.  I ran these on my superduty rear round.  good on the gravel and in the snow.  I switched to Hankook Dyna Pro M/T for the spring summer and fall.  Really aggressive tire not bad on the pavement and wore very well for a aggressive tire.  I switched to the mastercraft at2 for the winter for plowing. 
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Dave Shepard

I've been running Discoverer ST tires for years now. They last longer than anything else on the back of the Dodge, which is brutal on tires. I run 265/75R16 E range. I will be buying a set for the Ford this fall as well. Great traction, might be noisy, but I can't hear that over the Cummins.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ron Scott

Anyone run Yokohomas?
~Ron

Weekend_Sawyer

I'm runnin the BFgoodrich TAs on my 1 ton and love them. A quiet running tire an good off road traction. I ran them on my old 1 ton also and my Bronco too. I like them!
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

HuZzEy

I have a 02 f150 extended cab longbed I drive 80 miles a day I was running dunlop rovor at's I got 63,000 miles on them wore even also great milage for the price $550 2years ago I bought a set of yokohama geolander at's I put 10,000 miles on them so far I have rotated them twice not wearing to bad 

Bobus2003

Quote from: mad murdock on July 11, 2011, 12:23:41 AM
Toyo tires are OK, but do not wear as well as Cooper, Kelly, or Goodyear.  I would stick with one of those 3 brands, if it were my money.  We use a lot of Toyo at my work on our fleet of GM HD diesel pickups, and 50,000 is about all you get out of a set.  I have seen the 3 other brands I have mentioned go 80-100k.  Toyo are cheaper, but you just have to pencil it out and see what is your best value per mile for the price you have to pay.  Retreads are a good choice, if you have a good source close by.  That is what we run on the 16 big trucks we have, and they work well, and wear like iron.  Seems like it is getting harder and harder to find good retreads in the LT/pass vehicle side of things.  Of course we cannot use them on the steer tires, those have to be virgin rubber.

Recaps on Cars/Light Trucks don't have go by the "Virgin Rubber" on steers rule.. atleast not here in SD

Thank You Sponsors!