iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cypress prices??

Started by gator gar, July 09, 2011, 05:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gator gar

I had a guy wanting a price on some 1x6x8 cypress boards. The guy that I am sawing cypress for is, charging a 1.50 a BFT. I called another guy and he is charging 2.00 a BFT. Well, I can buy the logs from the guy that I am sawing for at a decent price and I told the man that I would cut his lumber for a dollar a BFT. I thought I was giving him a pretty good deal, but he said it was too much. Anyone know what the actual going rate on Cypress lumber is??

customsawyer

Like all lumber it varies depending on grade and if it is kiln dried or not. The other side of the coin is that it depends on the customers is wanting a few boards or a truck load. The mill I cut for don't sell none of the cypress I cut for them for less than a buck a foot.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

You quoted a fair price for a quality product.  It is then in the customer's hands to make the decision.  Some folks just want something for nothing.  I wouldn't compromise.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gator gar

It would be a log to lumber deal. It wouldn't be kiln dried.  I was just trying to help the guy out. He wanted 85-90  1x6x8s for some kind of fence pickets, that he said he was going to cut on his table saw. I would love to have helped him, but it doesn't always work out that way.

gator gar

If anyone knows where to get rid of some cypress, or where there is a market for it, please chime in. I've got to cut 249-    2 3/8x 11 1/2s and there is going to be a pile of side lumber (flitches), that will be piling up. This is a hard wood mill, with no outlet for cypress. This is just the beginning of what I have to cut as far as cypress is concerned.

Kansas

There is a guy at Perry, Kansas that did, and as far as I know still does, deals with cypress. His name is Jim Guffy. I don't have his number at the moment, but I can call the NE KS district forester on monday and get it. Be good to know what a customer would want before you start in case he wants it cut a little different thickness or something.

Bodger

Work's fine for killing time but it's a shaky way to make a living.

gator gar

Quote from: Bodger on July 09, 2011, 07:34:28 PM
where are you gar?

The mill is located close to Cleveland, Texas. Which is considered, East Texas. There are already two big piles of flitches, some of the stuff is in 18 foot lengths. Alot of 4/4 and 6 or 8/4.

WDH

If you advertise it on the Houston Craigslist, I bet you will sell it all pretty quick if the price is $1.00/BF. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Buck

Try East tx Classifieds too Mark. Around here its a buck a foot.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Thank You Sponsors!