iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-Mizer MONSTER mill!

Started by Bibbyman, July 08, 2011, 04:16:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lugpBdvi_X4

Announcement of this mill is posted in the Sponsor section but many of us don't read that area very often.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,51656.0.html
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Woodchuck53

Whew what hog. Do you know what that thing cost? How much thinner is a thin kerf opposed to a regular blade?
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Chuck White

That's quite a mill!  ;)

I would imagine that the kerf would be the same as that of an LT40 or LT70, but probably a 2" wide blade.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

pigman

QuoteThe WM1000 uses 2"-3" wide thin-kerf blades to reduce waste and maximize recovery.....The starting price for the WM1000 is $49,995.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Warren

Bib,
Thank you for posting.

While a swing mill with slabber would be less expensive for the "occassional" big log, this looks like the real deal for anyone who wants to break down big stuff on a regular basis. 

I have a couple oak logs right now that I have been putting off that I would love to throw on that mill for 20 minutes...  ;D
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Meadows Miller

Gday

Thats a bloody Good Looking Mill I Like It  ;) ;D ;D 8) the only down side is you would have tho spend another $50 grand on a 54" wide edger  ;) :D ;D ;D

Warren thats only $2500 a Min  ;)  :D :) Ill drop by and mill those Big logs up for you as I will be coming through KY Mate  ;) ;D 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Mooney

Here's a couple images from a customer up in Portland, Oregon, Art Blumenkron of Goby Walnut and Western Hardwoods.  His WM1000 was just installed last month.

LOGDOG

This thing looks awesome! I was actually looking at this last night in the Sponsor section for the first time and found myself asking myself, "How have you missed this?". I've been waiting for WoodMizer to build a large mill like this for years. I asked them years ago why they didn't and they told me that the average diameter of logs was going down due to harvesting and re-growth rates and therefore they built their mills to handle the majority of logs out there vs. being over sized.

One thing that made me scratch my head on this though is at about 1:35 in the video to 1:48 or so, that blade guide arm is really chattering like it's not wanting to be there vs. a nice smooth cut. I wonder if that was because his feed rate was too fast or if the blade guide arm was loose?

Love that operator console. Need to add a pedestal seat to it like you'd find on the bow of a bass boat to put your butt down on but still have it be easy to roll off and out of to handle lumber. I liked my old operator seat on my LT40 as far as riding but getting in and out of it all day wouldn't be practical. I wonder if they offer hydraulic log handling for this mill?

paul case

i saw that guide arm moving a bit too. at 101 or so you see the blade exit the log and it falls down out of the cut. i have problems with that on my ez boardwalk when making wide cuts sometimes too, but i never expected to see a mill do that on a promo video! anyone else aver have those troubles?
that is a massive mill for sure. it just kind of hit me strange that wm would go 4 post when their calling card has been cantilever. oops i guess i said it. now its off to the woodshed! ;D   pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

LOGDOG

The 4 post vs. cantilever popped into my head too. BUT ... this mill is really designed to be stationary where you can anchor it. Whereas the cantilevered mills are easier to level and keep level in portable cutting situations.

if the blade drops out of the cut at 1:01 it's very faint. But I've seen that happen on mine in the past. Can be several things, feeding too fast, not enough set in the blade, dull blade, improper alignment of the blade guide arm. If the alignment is right though then it's the blade. If the blade is sharp, has the correct hook angle, and the alignment is right and you still have that dropping out of the cut I'd widen my set out to stabilize the blade in the cut.

Mooney

Good eye, but looking at it again, it looks like a slight optical illusion. (Now we're going to have half the forum studying that ten-second section and we'll have a three page discussion on it, eh? ;-) 

Here's the feedback we got back from Art in Oregon.
"We recently cut a 15', 48" diameter walnut log and were amazed to find that the thickness of the slabs didn't vary by more than 1/32" over the whole 15'. Our finish on the slabs is much better than [our previous mill] and we yield an extra slab on every log. Another consideration is time...it takes about 5 minutes to complete a cut on a large slab..."

Like Logdog mentioned, this mill is meant to just be stationary and always level, so a cantilever head that makes the portables so easy to set up really isn't necessary in this design.  Good comments, Mr. Case! You'll keep us on our toes ;-)

LOGDOG

Quote from: Mooney on July 08, 2011, 09:32:46 AM
Good eye, but looking at it again, it looks like a slight optical illusion. (Now we're going to have half the forum studying that ten-second section and we'll have a three page discussion on it, eh? ;-) 

Funny Mooney ... 37 posts and you already have us figured out.  ;) We gotta have something to talk about right?

Do you have squaring arms built into that frame by chance?

Meadows Miller

Log Dog You beat Me to It Mate  ;) :D :D ;D

Meadows Miller

I bet there was a bit of a knot it was working through in that part of the clip you will get it on any mill from time to time in wide or deep cuts but generally not for long  ;) Circ's will load up when you go from normal to hard patch but will generally not try to dodge it unless its really big or hard or you dont let up on feed  ;)

Ill bet it would do well if you where on 18" plus logs most of the time with an edger  ;) Whats the top feed speed and can I get a drag back for it  ??? or would I have to set up a semi auto vac lift  ;) :D ;D

paul case

those wide cuts make for a whole new set of problems now dont they!
mooney,
no kick from here. i already told you that my mill does this sometimes on wide cuts. blade problems i woulld say but i wanted to hear someone else say they had seen this. a new band on my mill will make good cuts on a few over 30'' but then it starts the slight cut up entering and a fall when exiting. it will remain the same thickness except for the first 3'' of cut. i know it is the blade and i suspect that it is all on the wide cut affecting the sharpness and set. of course my bands are 1 1/4'' instead of 2'' or 3'' so it surprised me to see that.
give it up on the optical illusion thing. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Bibbyman

I thought a guy could make a business going around from mill to mill breaking down big logs for them.  It'd have to be set up more mobile than it is.  Maybe on a trailer that could be dropped? Maybe a big diesel engine?  Or all mounted on a lowboy trailer with a generator?   Think portable car crusher.   A guy up the road brings one in about every two months.
Sawing since '94

Larry

Set tooth or swaged?  I bet set tooth as that would give WM a one up on most mills that size.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Bibbyman

The power cord going to the motor looks surprisingly light.  The cord to our 25 hp motor is the size of a gas pump hose.  We have our's wired on the low voltage setting (215-220v 3ph?).
Sawing since '94

jdonovan

if you double the voltage, you can halve the amps, so if they are running it at 480, or 600v then it could be a smaller cable than you might expect.

LOGDOG

This video really shows the scale of the mill next to some human bodies ...and look at that little bitty LT70 next to it. WOW! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztO8zGcIEc4&feature=related

LOGDOG

Chuck White

Man.......... That is one impressive machine!

The sound in the back of my mind says "KA-CHING  KA-CHING".

But "boy what a slabber"!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

customsawyer

That mill would have come in handy on the pecan project.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Cedarman

Bibbyman,if Mohammed can't go to the mountain, take the mountain to Mohammed.
If someone had one of those big mills and word got out that there was a good market for oversized logs, then loggers might just haul them to the mill.  Talking to all the sawmills in an area might give an idea of how many big logs are out there without a mill.  
The swingers probably already have an idea with their ability to cut up big logs.
I see a lot of big butts cut off oaks that have 3 to 6' of good wood in them because they were doubles or triples.  I am surprized more swingers aren't cutting them up.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Magicman

I just saw a trac of very old growth SYP cut.  All of the trees larger than 30" were "jump butted".   :-\

The logger was crying to see all of that waste.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!