iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

building green picnic tables?

Started by countryjonez, July 07, 2011, 05:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

countryjonez

i was wanting to build some picnic tables out or red oak,and some pretty elm and didnt know if i needed to kiln dry it or what. trying to get the process down without building a table that would crack and twist. the logs got cut yesterday and milled/stacked today.where should i go from here?
If God be for us who can be against us ?

metalspinner

Assuming you picnic outside, the wood should not need to be kiln dried.  But completely air drying the wood will minimize movement and splitting surprises after you finish the tables.

Red oak is not rot resistant, so avoiding ground contact will help the table legs last longer.  They will wick moisture up from the ground.  Even  putting a flat stone under each leg will help, but don't be too surprised to see some rot in the legs first.  Standing water on the table surface will invite some mold to begin growing.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

countryjonez

is their a sealer i should put on it? if so what kind?

Larry

Truly green picnic tables should be green wood :D or ERC, black locust, or white oak.  Anything else will rot out in less than 8 years if outside without protection. 

For a finish, enamel paint will last longer than anything at 4 to 6 years.  My last failure was Silkens which required a new coat at least once a year.  Twice a year would have been better.  With one of the above woods no finish would be maintenance free but you would need to like rustic.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,19617.0.html

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Planman1954

I hope you have a planer. You need to surface the wood to avoid splinters with all the contact surfaces.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Cedarman

A router with a round over bit is good for edges and corners.  Planing can make for a sharp edge and people have been known to fall, trip or get pushed.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

countryjonez

i have the wood working tools,but i just started milling and wasnt sure about the wet wood. thanks for all input.

Thank You Sponsors!