iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Visit from CustomSawyer Jake!

Started by Raider Bill, July 07, 2011, 04:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

Last Friday Jake stopped by to visit me in Tenn. Sorry don't know why but nobody took pictures.

I showed Jake my woods and trails I've been working on and he gave me some great info that I didn't know about.

A funny happened when he was showing me how to hack and squirt hardwoods in my pines. I swung at a 2"popular tree skimming the bark off some. He laughed, took the machete and wacked it once cutting it in half. Boy has got some arms :o ;D

Great time with a friendly and very knowledgeable man.

Thanks Jake!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

SwampDonkey

The man must have some arms working on Danny's logs.  :D When the mill wasn't big enough to handle them, to then take the bad butt saw with....how long a bar?, to it. :D

Glad Jake could straighten ya out.  ;)

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Sounded like a plan.  What did you eat  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DanG

We'll forgive ya this time Bill.  It ain't hard at all to forget about pics when Jake comes to visit, and it's the same with a bunch of other Forumites.  Shucks, I bet fifty or thirty folks have stopped by here and I mighta got pics of 11 or six. ::)

I tried to get Jake in a arm rassling match one time, but he chickened out.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WDH

I trust that you enjoyed several cold refreshments. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Raider Bill

Red, white and blue barley pops were the dish of choice ;D
Jake dropped his Lady off in Helen Ga then rode up to see little ol me.
Most all of the info I use to work my woods comes from reading this forum. It was real nice to have someone with knowledge take a look at what I'm doing and give advise.

Danny your next!
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

customsawyer

I had a great time. I like to hang out with folks that think I'm smarter than I am. Let me know when Danny is heading that way so I can try to make it up. You will need to have the bike next time.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Your story about the bulldozer and the fire was so funny  ;D.  I would like to see the scene in person!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

I think he's just hard on equipment. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Raider Bill

Quote from: WDH on July 09, 2011, 12:25:45 AM
Your story about the bulldozer and the fire was so funny  ;D.  I would like to see the scene in person!

Danny, Your always welcome!  I'll show you the trail I made driving the burning dozer out of the woods! The locals say I brought excitement to a otherwise boring area. :D 8)

Patty

So Bill, I gotta ask.....how did you burn up a bulldozer?   ???
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

WDH

Bill,

You are now famous in those parts  :D.

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Raider Bill

I try to be low key but.......

Patty,

A hydraulic hose blew on the dozer first day out. The rental Co came out and fixed it but never cleaned out the belly pan nor put the side plates back on. it got pretty full of twigs, pine needles and leaves. I guess a spark from the alternator started the fire. I was way down in the bottom of my property where I have 35 acres of pines. when It started. Figuring the only thing worse than a forest fire is when I own the forest I decided to drive it out of the woods while burning. I did get it to the road by just putting the pedal to the floor so to speak and making a run for it smashing down anything that got in my way.

Norm

Now that would have been a sight to see!

Remind me to never tell the story of how I got the trackhoe stuck so bad it took the D-6 to pull it out.  :D

isawlogs

Norm ,  ;D   Go ahead , tell the story promise not to hold it against ya none   :D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

We were scarifying a plantation, ribbons were up and all, but the dozer guy managed to sink a D8 in a mud hole (head of a brook).  ::)  Had to get a hoe to fish'm out.  I wasn't there to see it, but I got the story a few days afterwards.

Some fella's shouldn't touch stuff. ;D :D :D

Mooseherder

Your name probably has an asterisk by it at the rental place. :D

isawlogs

He now sends his friend two tanks to da rental outfit.   :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

Most Foresters use a drip torch to set fire.  A drip torch is too mundane for Raider, he sets fire using a burning bulldozer  :D. 

Texas Ranger

Hey, I have burned some places I would have loved to had a bulldozer to light and leave in, bad brush.  Bad Brush. :-\
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

customsawyer

The famous last words "hold my beer and watch this".
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Raider Bill

The rest of the story is where the dozer finally quit on the side of the road I didn't have cell service so I walked about a half mile pushing the send button and throwing it up in the air hoping to catch a signal. Don't laugh it used to work! ;)
I finally got a answer from 911. It was the Lady from Andy Griffith's show the dispatcher. Being a Ex Cop I generally have a good handle on what I need to say over a radio, on a phone etc in a emergency and in a calm manner so I tell her I have a bull dozer fire on Co Rd number ###. I get a pause, I ask are you still there?
Sir what is the house number?
There isn't one Ma'm I just put in a rough road to build my house and the dozer caught on fire.
I need a house number, what does the mail box say?
There isn't one Ma'am.
She says we don't have a Co Rd ### are you sure of that number?
Positive Ma'am
Well it's wrong. Are you from that area you don't sound like it?
No Ma'am I'm from Florida but my Dozer's still on County Rd ### in McMinn CO
Sir you called Monroe Co you should have called McMinn co
Ma'am I called 911 would you please transfer me?
Hold,
click
I wait,
I wait,
I wait
Look at the phone, call ended. Great.
Dial 911 again, Yep guess who answers......
Sir why did you hang up on me?
I didn't, Please either transfer me to McMinn Fire or let them know I'd like a fire truck please.
OK Sir but they are going to want a house number too.

Now I hear ringing.......
Barney from Mayberry answers, Fire Dept!
I have a dozer fire on Co Rd ###.
What is the house number?
Oh Boy!
Me: there isn't one I just put in a rough driveway there is no mailbox, number, blah blah blah... nothing! but .....Co Rd ### is only about 4 miles long so it shouldn't be that hard to find me.
Him: How will we know where you are or which way to come in?
Me:, come in either way you want doesn't matter the dozers about in the middle.
Him; How will we know where you are?
Me: Tell them to stop at the first burning bull dozer they see.
Him; I need you phone number
Me: I give it to him.
Him: that area codes not from around here.
Me I'm from Florida.
Don't they have house numbers in FLorida.
Me: Sir do you have a fire truck responding?
Him: Yes but I can only hope they find you without a house number.
Me: Push end call on my phone. :o :o :o :o :o :o

They found me.

red oaks lumber

i hear banjos playing in the back ground. :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

customsawyer

Won't be long and they will be on Bill's deck. ;D
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Hey, I like banjos, sometimes  :).  I used to play a lot of traditional and bluegrass music, so banjos were a necessary evil that a Bass player had put up with  ;D.

Do you know the difference between a banjo and a dead possum in the road?  There are skid marks in front of the possum :-\.

red oaks lumber

i'll offer up this clue.... squeal  boy ;D that kind of banjos
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

ljmathias

That was a terrible joke, WDH- I used to pick around on a banjo but never got good enough to really enjoy it.  There are some players out there that make it sound easy playing fast and furious- great instrument, really.

Have to admit, though, that I've never tried playing a possum- what kind of music to you make with one of those?   ???

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

WDH

That is possums that is doing the hissing on "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" by Charlie Daniels  :D.

Thank You Sponsors!