Sponsors:

ERC and Cypress

Started by Magicman, July 06, 2011, 08:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul case

Quote from: Magicman on August 23, 2011, 09:42:36 PM
And if all logs were Pecan, no one would be doing it.   :D :D

Maybe not you, but I enjoy a challenge that ends with a paycheck!  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

All went well with the two Pecan logs.  I took side lumber off and reduced the cant down to 10".  I then stood the 10" cant up and sawed through.  The side lumber was then edged.  Three hours sawing yielded 550bf.  Not very productive, but the job is done.

Next it was SYP framing lumber.  I had sawed a total of 1225bf when lightning stopped production at 2:30.  I'll finish that saw job tomorrow.

Taking the cant down to 10"

The Pecan logs were very solid.

550bf of mostly 1X10 Pecan.

Gabby has fallen in LOVE with the Logrite.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Wow, those look nice.  :)

There must be a story behind that name. ;)  Saw musta been good and sharp and lots of wind as he's got his mask on. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

That pecan looks like it behaved even though it was slow.  Looks like there was a lot of clear lumber.  Did you cut it 1 1/8" thick?

You get spoiled cutting 2x pine  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Yes Danny, it behaved very nicely.  There were very few knots and they were small.  There were none on the butt log.  I'd say that this was the best Pecan that I have ever sawn.

The guy that will do the kiln, planing, T&G, and V groove said 1".  It will be used for wall paneling.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

That will work.  The back side of V-groove paneling only needs to be skip planed.  Saving that 1/8" increases yield by 12.5%.  I used to saw all my hardwood at 1", but I went to 1 1/8" and the drop in yield is noticeable.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Yeah, but 1-1/8" is much better. I'm always searching for 1" stock after planing.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

All lumber dimensions depend upon the customer's use.  That is why I love my Setworks.  I can give them anything that they want.

WDH

1 1/8" is definitely more flexible and provides much meat on the bones.  That is why I raised my prices on wood that I sell.

Larry

About this time last year, a guy gave me two pecan logs a bit smaller than MM's logs.  They had been laying for a while but the bark was still tight.  Opened the first one and it had a few spalt lines, but not near enough to be pretty.  Sawed the whole log into 2X2's and chopped the 2X2's into 6" long pieces.  Donated most of the wood to the bbq contestants in the Bikes, Blues, and BBQ event we have here each year.

Took the second log and rolled it off to the edge of the field in a damp hole...oughta check it and see how the spalt is progressing.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

hackberry jake

Ahh, bikes, blues, and bbq. When fayettevilles population turns crazy. I have some hickory boards I could donate this year. Used them for weight on the walnut... I guess some of them could be salvaged... for boomerangs
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Thank You Sponsors!