iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thinning 10 acres in North Florida

Started by wayneinFL, July 06, 2011, 07:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayneinFL

I have 10 acres of 20 year old planted pines in Suwannee County, FL. I just got a call from a gentleman working in the area who offered me $8.50 for pulp, $14 chip and saw(per ton, on the stump, I believe) to think every third row and every third tree, leaving all the hardwoods alone. I've never sold any timber before.

I tried to get them thinned about five years ago and couldn't get anyone to look at it and give me an estimate- I guess because it's so small.

Anyway, is the price about right? Am I thinning them enough? And about how long does it take to do something like this? I'd like to see them do it.

I'm calling the county forester tomorrow, but any advice is appreciated.

Magicman

Welcome wayneinFL, to the Forestry Forum.  That call to the county forester is a smart move.  It is always wise to get different and professional opinion/advice.  Post your progress.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Here in Middle Georgia, those prices would be reasonable.  Prices in North Florida are generally a little higher than here, but you also only have 10 acres, and that is small for a logger.  For most loggers doing first thinning, that is only about 2 days of work, so there is a disproportionate amount of time spent moving equipment to and from the tract relative to the amount of time actual logging. 

What density to you plan to thin it too?  I suggest about 70 square feet of basal area.  The Forester will (should) know what that means and be able to translate that into the required number of leave trees (the crop trees that remain after thinning) per acre.  I suspect that will be about 200 trees per acre or less.  If you have an average diameter of the trees that will be left, the calculation from basal area to trees per acre is not complicated.  For example, if the average diameter breast high (DBH) of the larger portion of the trees in the stand (that will be left after thinning) is 8", then the average basal area per tree is     DBH squared times .005454   which is  64 x .005454 = .35 square feet per tree.  At .35 basal area per tree and a target of 70 square feet per acre, the number of trees needed is 70 square feet divided by .35 square feet per tree = 200 trees.  If the average DBH was 9", that would calculate to about 160 trees per acre.  So, go in the stand and take about 100 randomly selected trees and measure the diameter.  Calculate the average to determine the basal area per tree.  Translate that into trees per acre as shown above.

Since the area is small, don't dabble at it.  Most people do not thin out enough trees.  I would not leave more than 75 square feet of basal area and do not drop below 60 square feet shooting for a target of 70 square feet.  Good luck!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!