iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just been Given Some Gum Trees

Started by Meadows Miller, July 06, 2011, 07:09:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meadows Miller

220000 of them or about 20 to 30000 ton of log roughly  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) Im not sure weather Ill be cutting them or passing up on this job atm but  heres some pics anyway I dropped one just to see what it came out like  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Meadows Miller

ahh also for those who are looking  ;) Average hight is about 30' to 40' usable and average dia is roughly 6 to 7" Dbh  ;)

Ernie

Nice one Chris 8) 8).  What variety are they and are they ground durable If so, you could build a pile of typical Queenslander houses up on poles ;D. Unless they are good termite tucker. :(
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

jim king

What is the use for those small trees ?  Do they get bigger ?

Meadows Miller

Gday

Thanks Ernie Im still not sure what Im going to do with them the timber is only low grade as they where only intended for pulp production but would prob last a good while if they where treated as small rounds  ;) I could just drop them and sell them for pulp log either bulk or in 14 ton export bundel's  , infield chip them and export them or do something not many other people have tried to do which is saw them into timber but Im sorry to say ill keep a lid on how I am planing on tackling that one for the time being fellas  ;) Firewood is another option also  ;)

They are Sydney Blue Gums down here they where mainly grown for pulp production on short rotations 8 to 15 years depending on the site and spacing these are a pretty average looking block  ;) but they get pretty big in your part of the world though Jim  ;) there is 1.1 million Ha of them growing around Australia most where put in by Managed Investment Schemes which all fell in a heap last year  when the Gov't changed the tax laws so they are worthless to some people who own the land they are on now that they are not seeing a regular yearly lease payment on the land  ;) Thats how I got offered these there is 220ha there and he can put me onto near on another  1000ha if I want it  :) :) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris

woorarra

Awesome! set up a firewood processor maybe?

Would kill to have access to timber like that :o

Magicman

Welcome woorarra, to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ernie

Welcome Woorarra, great to have another antipodean on board :)
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Meadows Miller

Gday

Welcome to The Forum Worarra I see your down near Yarram Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) You don't have to kill for it there's plenty out there you just have to get in before the bulldozers do but that won't be happening to all of it though Mate  :o :) ;)

Looks like this one May be a Goer as the farmers thinking about putting the cash up to buy the equipment and in return he gets a share of the profit and we get to keep the gear at the end of the job as he has decided we are the ones to do it as he is not that impressed from what he has heard of alot harvesting contractors down his way and wants things done neat and tidy which is not a big thing to ask in my book most of them now days just leave a big bloody mess  ;)

Regards Chris

duke

I would say that for some timber harvesters that is a world wide phenomenome!! The small guy's do the better job in my opinion, well if they have pride in their work that is, and if they do they are never out of work. I really love reading this site and seeing all the  like minded people on here. I really like seeing guys making an honest buck and having a bit of fun doing it. G'day mate, for me its my bed time. Have a great day and keep us posted.

Marcel

sawmillsi

hey medow, you sure theya re sydney blue gum (saligna), i thought the blue gums down your way would be obliqua.

good luck with the timber ting with them (i heard they aren't so good?).

how does blue gum take treatment? good market for poles, especially in the export market (we have been offered over $120/m3 for similar sized poles from our property, but we are going to let them grow to adult saw logs  ;) ).

simon

Meadows Miller

Gday

Simon hows things and your mill project going up there Mate  ??? Im not exactly sure what line it is as they had so many cross breeds over the years  :) plus for what We are planning to do with them dunnage/pallet and stake stock it wont really matter as most will be single use and the stuff I cut the other month is behaving well minimal collapse and still holding its weight well so it is still pretty dense  ;) We will be running the mill on pine also so even if it is a fail on the timber side of it we will just punch the lot out into firewood and just run the mill full time on pine  ;) Our Family has always gone great guns when we have been taking the stuff that other people dont want or is in the too hard basket for most  ;) :D ;D 8)

$120M3 for post stock what species is it ? We are getting offered $250 to $300m3 for low grade hardwood and $8 m3 for the mixed shavings/sawdust off the machine we are looking at and firewood is going for $180 to $220 a ton in melb which is where anything thats no good for sawing and the tops under 4" dia will go  ;)

Duke I hear you brother  :) ;) ;D ;D 8)

Regards Chris

Ernie

Quote from: sawmillsi on July 18, 2011, 07:33:14 PM
we are going to let them grow to adult saw logs  ;) ).

simon

Oh the joys of youth ;D

ely

chris, whats with the jacket in your pics? are you cold down there.?  its 8pm here and still 99 degrees.

Meadows Miller

Yeah It was alittle cold with the wind coming strait from the south pole Mate ;)  :D ;D ;D But In about 35 hours Ill be about as warm as you are over there My flight the the USA leaves in about 15 hrs  ;)  ;D ;D ;D

WildDog

Have a good trip over there Chris, a young bloke from work went over 2 weeks back to do some rodeos, flys back from here from Texas in 3 weeks.

Cold here today, just got in from feeding the cows in the sleet :(.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Meadows Miller

Thanks Mate and I reckon it will be an awesome one   ;) I have been wanting to go to the States since I was a kid im just finally getting to go now  :) :) ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Thank You Sponsors!