iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drum Chicken "Again"

Started by Magicman, July 05, 2011, 04:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

This 4th we had Drum Chicken, but this time not Crisped like fishpharmer likes them.  Eat your heart out James.   :D

First the halves are marinated in Dale's steak sauce for a couple of hours.

Then hung over the coals on stainless steel hooks.

A special top covers the drum which keeps the heat under control.  Caution: Don't use plywood that has curled or bad things will result.

Into a Styrofoam cooler until eating time.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scottyblue

Wow!Oh man that looks good 8)
Scotty

LOGDOG

You know ... I had forgotten about "Dale's" marinade. We used to eat that all the time. Not sure why we stopped using it. I'm putting it on the grocery list right now. Good looking chicken there.  :)

Mooseherder

fishpharmer

Looks Good, hate I missed it.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

paul case

I am going to give this a second try this weekend. Trash can chicken will be served for Saturday evening grub at the case ranch. I didn't have enough air holes in the barrel the first time and we finished them in the oven and everybody loved it. Thanks for turning me on to this MM. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

Don't forget to control the heat by sliding the plywood over a bit to allow the fire to draft.

Remember, you want this.

NOT this.   ;D

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mooseherder

You gotta love the simplicity of it all. :)
What did you make the stainless hooks from?

Magicman

Mooseherder

Norm

Any of you with some basic welding skills here's a thread on a BBQ forum I belong to that tells how to make a version of MM's cooker called an ugly drum smoker.

Ugly Drum Smoker

You can make it as fancy or plain as desired.  :)

Mooseherder

I've got a bunch of bricks that need something done with and it'll double as a Pit BBQ. :)
I started building the cooking pavillion with Pine trees my neighbor had cut a few months back.
Lifting the 2 in the holes on the left wore me out.  I choose some smaller ones for the right side after meeting my match on a third lift. :(
Ran out of chain oil to even out the tops.

Norm

Cool!

Hey start a new thread if you get a chance showing us your build.  :)

zopi

Was gonna mention the ugly drum smoker..weber kettle grill lid fits a drum pretty close...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

sandhills

Our town has a bbq cook off every summer and this year there was a team using drums, they had holes drilled all around the very bottom and very top and just used little magnetic stickers like you'd have on your fridge to cover holes and control the draft.  I thought it was pretty clever.

paul case

I made my meat hooks from those cheap roasting sticks. they are just a twisted havy wire. I bent the handle and the other end over the edge of the drum and they worked fine. costs $5 for 25 of them at the local discount store. PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

paul case

Well this time it turned out perfect! It took right at three hours to cook 6 breast/rib portions and 15 leg quarters. That gave me enough time to give the garage a good cleaning.
My dad told me a great way to make some more air holes in the bottom of the drum. 22rifle worked great.
It rained all afternoon, so I made an awning off the back of my truck with a small plastic tarp to keep the rain off the drum.thanks magic.

PC
pc

Magicman

:)  You are very welcome Paul.  Just counting up, looks like some of those chickens had extra landing gear.   :D

WDH

Those must have been 3 legged chickens  :D.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

paul case

Thats the cool part about buying them in town. ;D

The sad part is what they get for them little cluckers. The whole chickens in the store we buy at were almost $10. when I was growing them, I got paid $.18 per bird.
It don't quite work out though, 15 leg quarters was $6 and 6 breast sections was about $12. Go figure. PC
pc

Magicman

Keep your eyes on the prize.  It's all about the eating.   digin_2

paul case

3 hours is a lot of thinking time, however, I think I could get a little nap if it weren't for that needing to check the chicken thing. I guess if I took a nap, I would be making drum chicken in my sleep!!!!!
Wait a minute, I think someone tried something like this, and even though the waffles must have been good , I hear that the chicken was a little frickiseed. ;D

PC
pc

Magicman

It was all Don K's fault.   :-X

paul case

:) :) :) :) :) :) :D :D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ::) lol smiley_divide smiley_roller smiley_roller smiley_roller laugh_at laugh_at smiley_hair_guy smiley_hair_guy smiley_hair_guy smiley_grin_earmuff smiley_grin_earmuff smiley_grin_earmuff smiley_safety_glasses smiley_safety_glasses smiley_speechless smiley_speechless smiley_speechless smiley_bucktooth smiley_bucktooth smiley_angel01_halo smiley_angel01_halo

PC
pc

Magicman

PC, you are going to use up all of Chris' "Smiley Fluid".   :D

sandhills

Thank You Sponsors!