iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oak question...

Started by mrcaptainbob, July 03, 2011, 10:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrcaptainbob

Light oak, dark, red....all are easy for me to understand. But what about this 'live' oak? What makes it special?

Texas Ranger

Separate species, usually a southern oak, broad spreading crown.  The English used the woods natural curves to make ships ribs.  Tough wood, maybe Old Ironsides had live oak sheathing to bounce those canon balls.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

Very dense, heavy, strong, and rot resistant. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

BaldBob

No one mentioned its most obvious feature - the leaves are persistent (don't come off each fall).

LeeB

The leaves do drop in the spring as the new leaves are put on. It makes a fantastic fire wood and is one of my favorite smoking woods.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

It is a prolific acorn producer and is a very fine tree for the wildlife.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

OneWithWood

Quote from: LeeB on July 04, 2011, 06:37:31 PM
The leaves do drop in the spring as the new leaves are put on. It makes a fantastic fire wood and is one of my favorite smoking woods.

That would be for medicinal purposes only, right? :D :D :D ;D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

SwampDonkey

Hey, maybe that's what I've got. My white oak holds it's leaves all winter (turning brown) and they drop as new leaves elongate in spring. ;)  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

The Live Oak stays green year round.  There is never a time when it shows all brown leaves or all new leaves.  It's leaf replacing is a gradual process.  I have two in my yard along with two Magnolias, which also keep their leaves year round.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

QuoteThat would be for medicinal purposes only, right? :D :D :D ;D

I never inhale though.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Phorester

Quote from: Magicman on July 07, 2011, 10:52:30 PM
The Live Oak stays green year round.  There is never a time when it shows all brown leaves or all new leaves.  It's leaf replacing is a gradual process.  I have two in my yard along with two Magnolias, which also keep their leaves year round.

That's how it got it's name,because it has green leaves (stays "alive") all year. 

And, yes, live oak was used in the construction of Old Ironsides.  The US Navy once owned live oak forests for shipbuilding back in the days of wooden ships and iron men.

LeeB

To the best of my knowlege it still does in Florida somewhere.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

The area in question is in Gulf Shores, close to Pensacola, FL.

The area was originally owned and managed by the Navy and is now part of the US National Parks system.

http://www.exploresouthernhistory.com/navalliveoaks.html

Herb

WDH

If the Dark Ages return and we have to go back to wooden ships, we will be ready  :).

SwampDonkey

I suppose we could go gather up all those lone white pine and hemlock left to stand or fall down on the harvest blocks to make dugouts up here. :D I had to climb over a few hemlock yesterday laying in the block that were 3 feet thick several feet up from the but end.  ::) There was one old smasher still standing that musta been about 50 inches dbh, one huge bugger and tall like a pine.  :o These are all on hardwood forest.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

:-\  If those times ever return, transportation will not be our problem.  It will be food.   :-\   Of course a majority of our food depends upon transportation, so I guess that it is the chicken/egg  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Well, we could get by on wood, steam and the old time locomotive steam engine. ;D The whole dang system is screwed up anyway, we are loosing our trains to trucks that move only one van load at a time just because it's convenient to come to your door instead of you coming to the train siding. We will return to the train one day.

tyb525

Quote from: SwampDonkey on July 14, 2011, 07:16:33 PM
Well, we could get by on wood, steam and the old time locomotive steam engine. ;D The whole dang system is screwed up anyway, we are loosing our trains to trucks that move only one van load at a time just because it's convenient to come to your door instead of you coming to the train siding. We will return to the train one day.

I like the way this SD guy thinks ;D
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Banjo picker

The trouble with that is we have demolished most of our train depos here in the south...I really hated to see the one here in Iuka be torn down...Nothng was even built back in its place...just no one would keep it up...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

thecfarm

Train depots are gone here too. Some have been moved and some have been converted to live in. Some tracks have been torn up and the ROW turned into bike,walking trails. Trying to get the passenger train going here. May work for people going to work,but hard to go from one town to another. State keeps pouring money into it. My Father watched the passenger train fade out. Not much freight being hauled by rail here. Probaly if the paper company was not here here,the train would not even come this far. I do have an old china cabinet that is wrote on the back,Livermore Falls Depot. The cabinet was my Grandparents.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mooseherder

Quote from: LeeB on July 09, 2011, 12:31:19 PM
To the best of my knowlege it still does in Florida somewhere.

Yep, ours stays green all the time. :)

mrcaptainbob

So, what makes live oak unique is that it stays 'green' all year long, is more dense than other oaks, causing it to have been desirable for use in ship building. Neat stuff. Thanks for posts, FF helpers....

Banjo picker

Looks like some of you gents that have some close by would pop in a nice pic about now... ;)  I have none here , I have seen them in other areas  beautful spreading tree..Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Mooseherder

I have an old picture of the Live Oak from 2010.
It has a lean from the Hurricanes of 2004.

Banjo picker

Thank you Mooseherder...and framed in by two arrow straight pines as well....Looks like the ower of the house should be thankful that the root system held...Tim

Thank You Sponsors!