iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

4WD and Winch not Optional

Started by Magicman, July 02, 2011, 09:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I dropped by to check on my Cherry logs.  Yup, they are still there.  Problem was, I backed down the relatively steep hill and put the transmission in "Park" before getting off.  Just like I was supposed to do.  Well, that old '70 model JD didn't like that.

With the weight of the tractor against the "Park", it wouldn't come out, it wouldn't shift into anything.   :-\

I had to walk over a mile back to the Cabin, get my truck and chainsaw.  Next it was trimming and widening a path for the truck.

With a chock in front of the truck's front tire, I let the winch line out and removed the weight of the tractor from the transmission.  It now shifted out like it was 'sposed to.

The old MileMarker 9.5 pays for itself again.  It's certainly not wet, but it is 4WD to back the truck back up the hill.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Adventures, adventures, adventures.  You are recently blessed with adventures  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red oaks lumber

how do you get anything done with a camera in your hand all the time? ;D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

tyb525

A red tractor wouldnt have had that problem ;)

But really, it's sickening when you get the tractor stuck, because often times it's the biggest piece of pulling equipment you have. So what do you pull the tractor out with? ::)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: tyb525 on July 02, 2011, 11:05:52 PM
But really, it's sickening when you get the tractor stuck, because often times it's the biggest piece of pulling equipment you have. So what do you pull the tractor out with? ::)

That's why you need to have multiple tractors.  :D

At least that's what I tell the other half when she questions the need for a dozen or more tractors. hahaha

ljmathias

Getting stuck sure can be a mess.  We had extended rain about 15 years back and I'd rented a Bobcat to do some clean up work on the area around the house I'd just built- worked great and still had a day left on the rental so I (foolishly) took it across the creek to level out an area I wanted for a field.  Backed right into a quagmire and couldn't move, but then it was 2WD and had almost smooth tires.  Went and got my old Chinese tractor- 2WD Shinneau that I'd been using for bushhogging.  Pulled it in to pull out the Bobcat and got it stuck- dug right down into this black, sticky-slick goo that we sometimes get in bottom areas.  Next pulled my truck over, Ford F100 2WD- got it stuck too.  Son-in-law shoes up with his 2WD jeep, says no problem, I can pull 'em out one at time- you guessed it, dug in and stuck like the rest. 

Luckily I had a pair of loading ramps that had raised treads on it, and a number of pieces of 2X8 boards.  Jacked up the vehicle closest to dry land and slid the ramps under the drive wheels with boards after- slowly pulled from dry land with another truck while SIL eased it up on the ramps and onto the boards.  Ended up building a raised board road to drive out each vehicle but had to repeat the "jack it up to get the ramps under the wheels" process.  All in all, wasted a half day just getting things unstuck.  We were happy and tired, just glad to be back where we'd started so I can take the Bobcat back...

Wish I'd had my 4WD tractor then, or a winch- still have to get one but I don't have the right piece of equipment to mount it on so no hurry for now.  Live and learn, live and learn... :D

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Ron Scott

The unexpected can surely ruin a good day. Chalk it up for an educational tractor experience. ;)
~Ron

Magicman

Yup, I'll be wary of "Park" in the future.  I guess after 40 years of hard use there is some wear somewhere.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Coon

If the tractor has decent brakes we usually just lock them on if we are able to and leave it in neutral.  ;)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Frickman

Magicman,

Never put an older John Deere in park with it pointed uphill. It won't come out. Oops, you figured that out. It's a very common problem with them. I've done it myself.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

WDH

Tractors are like chainsaws.  You have to have two so that you can use the second to get the first one unstuck  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

clww

Love those truck winches! I have a 9500 Mile Marker on my truck, too, Magicman. Never had to pull out the truck, but it's pulled alot of other stuff:  posts, deer, cable, hung up trees, etc. Indespensible!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

LeeB

My old tractor has niether park nor brakes so I guess I'm good on this front.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

sawguy21

That could get entertaining rather quickly.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

Maybe da tractor needs a winch.   ;D

dmartin

Magicman I was talking with my neighbor at the cabin yesterday and he was telling me that his John Deere 4020 does not have a foot brake lock and he has to put it in park if he is on a hill. I rembered reading this thread when he told me it gets locked in park because of the weight of the tractor against the park "gear". He told me that in the owners manual it tells you to force the gear shift out of park and into reverse or 1st depending on if you are facing uphill or down. And then let the clutch out slowly to move the tractor to let the tractor come out of park. He has 5 John Deeres and has been farming for about 40 years and says that you just pull hard on the shifter to the gear you want and it will not hurt the tractor. They are built that way and he does it all the time with no problems. I don't know if it works with your tractor but he says he is sure it is designed to do that and there will be no problems. If it works the way it does on his 4020 it could save alot problems, good luck but based on his experience I wouldn't be afraid to try it.

sandhills

Magicman, you did the best thing you could do, I'm not going to argue one bit with dmartin but I have to chime in here.  I've worked on a few transmissions on John Deere tractors and that's not always the answer but works good for quad ranges, none have a park "gear" they have a park pawl, it's spring loaded and breaks pretty easy under too much force from the shifting lever, you don't want that!  One thing you can do before putting the tractor in park on an incline is to cramp the front wheels, it helps to take SOME of the strain off the transmission, not a solution just seems to help.  We have 2 4010 JD's and 1 4020, they can be real fun to get out of park sometimes.  ;)

paul case

if you would trade that green bean for a big red sled ........ well you would just have a whole host of ''other'' problems. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

tyb525

the IH656 is a hydro, i 've never had that problem ;)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

sandhills

Quote from: tyb525 on August 12, 2011, 08:55:56 PM
the IH656 is a hydro, i 've never had that problem ;)
Those hydros are cool, can't tell you how many times I wished I had one! 

Magicman

That old JD1530 is a '70's model also.  In all of my years of driving it, that was a first for me.  I'll bet that it doesn't happen again.   ;D

dmartin

Yeah Magicman it probably won't happen again and I'm not even sure that what my neighbor told me will work on your tractor. It works on his 4020 and I figured if it ever hapens to you again it would be worth a try. I only have a little JD 790 and that doesn't have a park gear. I know my ATV does the same thing but that is small enough to rock back and forth till it pops out of park.

Thank You Sponsors!