iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flipped The Carriage Off

Started by Autocar, July 02, 2011, 07:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

The can't hook some how got between the track and carriage as I was backing her up and she jumped off the track,three axles. The fourth axle stayed on but the front end of the log was getting resawed with the tail end of the saw. Needless to say I watched a little closer where I set the axe and can't hook down the rest of the week.
Bill

Coon

It's no fun putting the carriage back on the tracks.  Atleast you had one axle still on.  The last time I remember knocking the carriage off the tracks was when we wasn't even sawing .   ;D  A log rolled off our rollway and took the carriage completely off the tracks and busted the cable talk about excitment in a hurry.  :o    :D  I guess we had the rollway piled a bit too high.   ;D  The log was prob   in the neighbor hood of 24 iches on the small end and prob 30 inches on the big.  Wish I woulda got a pic of that fiasco.  :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Meadows Miller

Gday

Woh  :o :o :o  These things happen in this game at least nothing was broken Mate  ;) ;D 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

weisyboy

i had an image of the carrige upside down next to the mill.

still would be a pita, i know it always was when the canadian jump the rail.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Ron Wenrich

I derailed my carriage about a month ago.  It was only about the second time that I did that.  Our carriage weighs about 6 ton, so we have to use jacks and the fork lift to get it back on track.  Takes about 1/2 an hour.  Luckily it pushed away from the saw.  Chunk of wood was on the track.

I was at a mill one time that had a saw that only had 1 tooth on it.  All the rest were torn off.  It was a Frick handmill.  The guide rail on those was on the saw side of the carriage.  A piece of bark got on the track and caused the front axle to go over towards the saw.  The front headblock hit the saw. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

This talk gives me shivers,a derailment is worse than running the carriage off the end.At least running off the end everything is away from the saw.People don't realize log and carriage, you dealing with the weight of at least a car and in Ron's case the weight of a truck.Add a big diesel, belts, chains, sawyers deserve combat pay.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

sawthemlogs

hello autocar...gotta say thanks to you ...you went out of your way and your time to meet with me,and was greatly appreciated....for those who have not met autocar hes a great guy...now back to your thread
   how bigof a log did ya have on there? hope ya didnt have to much down time.....the worst i have done was going off the end......which really not as bad as going off the side while rolling on a big oak..
   what kind of track do you have?  mine has the v style
R.D.

Tom

I'll have to say that the title of this thread had me laughing.  I know that words mean different things to different people and we all have our own pet sayings, but when my wife comes home and tells me she Flipped something off, she is as mad as a wet hen.  Yes, 'flipping off' to her means to give the California Wave, the middle finger howdy, "hunting" birds(to avoid the more direct description).  She is quick to offer it and aims for animate as well as inanimate targets.  It goes hand-in-hand with her heavy foot on the accelerator and her interpretation of other vehicles being in her way.  Yes she is an aggressive driver.  I ride on the floor boards and feign  sleep to try to keep from seeing my last moments approach.

So, when I read this thread's title, I could just imagine her, as a sawyer, addressing her carriage with the disdain of a seasoned sailor.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!