iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Please help with cedar beam pricing

Started by Jeremy2200, July 01, 2011, 03:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy2200

I need some input on how to price on sawing cedar beams. I have a lt 15 so I am not as fast as hydraulic mills so I know I can't get the $65-$75 an hour others are getting. Please give me some input on what you think a good hourly rate would be. I have sawn before by Bdft but I'm thinking about just sawing by the hour. I have sawn before for .20 Bdft and thought I'd go broke so thinking about charging by the hour that way the customer could help with offloading and save them some money too and help save my back.
Thanks
Jeremy

WDH

The average daily cost to run a LT15 is not very high since it is not an expensive mill with a bunch of money tied up in it.  Fuel and blades are variable expenses, but they do not amount to a large daily expenditure.  By far the largest expenditure is the cost of your time.  You need to figure what your time is worth to you.  Then you would add a reasonable cost per day to own and operate the mill.  That becomes your rate.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

nas

I'd go broke at $.20/bf too.  I charge $.40.  When I had my Norwood I charged $50/hr.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

tyb525

$.35/bf or $45/hr if the logs are ugly or otherwise difficult.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

thecfarm

I would charge $50 an hour an think nothing about it.Your time is worth alot. They don't like it,they will just go some place else and you will be saving money. This way to when the help starts to disappear,the rate stays the same.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!