iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I think that I'd have to call this a "big one"...

Started by scsmith42, July 01, 2011, 10:00:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

A few days ago I received an e-mail from a local homeowner that may have to remove an incredibly large red oak tree.  He wanted to know if I was interested in purchasing the trunk log.

It is 88" in diameter at 5' above grade, and they sent photos to prove it! At 7-1/2' in diameter, it's the largest red oak that I've seen in these parts (almost 24' in circumference). The major limbs appear to be between 3' - 4' in diameter...

I stopped by to look at the tree, and it was everything that I was told, and more. The canopy had to have been at least 150' wide, if not more; it literally spanned the entire width of his lot and on one side extended quite a ways into his neighbors back yard.

In studying the branch that came down, I noticed what appeared to be some rot in the heart wood, although the leaves and the rest of the tree looked healthy. I also felt that the tree could be saved (and recommended a knowlegeable tree service company), and recommended to the owner that they try to save it yet keep a close eye on the overall health as time went on.

Thus, I do not anticipate any mongo logs in my near future (and that's good - I hate to see something like this come down).

In the photo's below, the owner is pictured next to the tree, standing on a burl that's near the bottom of the tree. In one photo you can see the broken limb.

If it does eventually have to come down, I hope that the rot that I observed does not extend into the main trunk. Good lord, I could make some 30" wide quartersawn boards from that log!   

Scott

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Texas Ranger

It appears the tree was topped in its youth, I suspect you will  have some heart rot, but oaks are good at encapsulating rot. 

Nice tree, hope they save/keep it.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

beenthere

Good size to that one.
If he wants you to buy it, will it be delivered FOB at your mill or do you have to take it down? ;)

If the tree is 88" diam, then that dude standing there must some 8-9' tall. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom L

I had to take one down in the back yard a few years ago that was 5 ft diameter 135 ft tall, suffered from rot like this one
would loose branches every once and a while and I was afraid of a large enough wind would topple it and hurt someone. it did have some rot at the base, it did last a long time with the problem it had, that was one big tree. broke my heart to cut it down
it was one of the reasons that I bought the house,

heated the house with it for 3 years from all the firewood it produced, and I still have the bad back to prove it. lol

red oaks lumber

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WDH

In the pic showing the full fork, those light gray patches are worrisome as it looks a little like hypoxylon canker.  Hopefully, that is not the case.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

shelbycharger400

is that a true single...or is a multi-set grown together?   i have 3 big red oaks.. 2.5 to 3 ft dia,  1 for shure was a double ,  other looks like was a triple.. other is a legit single, so knarly looks like it belongs in a horror movie...  and it has a neat-o 1/2 in cable comming out of the stump :( , where a 12in sucker grew off it.

Ron Wenrich

That looks like a burl that he's standing on.  I get worried when I see swelled knots.  That usually means that there's heart rot. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

isawlogs

Hey Scott, hurry up and get Danny booked to take those slabs off as you saw them . He has some related experience that he can put to good use for you.  ;) :)

Danny don't bother thanking me for nominating you as the offbearrer for Scott, you can bring me a bottle of wine in the futur if you ever make it up this way  ;D 8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

Marcel,

What are friends for  :).  Humping big slabs off of fast sawing sawmills in great heat is a specialty of mine  :-\. 

Scott,

I will be there in the drop of a hat  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

clww

Looks like 48" dbh to me.....
Still a big tree.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Danny,

Forget the wine, just bring me a couple of those 30" QS oak planks...

Herb

scsmith42

It will be interesting to see how this one turns out.

CLLW and BT, trust me, the photo's are deceptive (and I understand why you think that it is smaller than it really is).  The trunk is not symetrical, which is one reason why the photo's mislead.  The widest portion of the trunk would be clear if the photographer had taken about 3 steps to her left when she shot the photo of him standing on the burl (the one where he is at the side of the tree)  You can see a little bit of this if you compare the two photo's - it is wider in the shot where the owner is adjacent to it, versus the photo where he is in front of it.  The owner was fairly tall and wide, probably 6'6" or thereabouts and his shoulder span is wider than mine (and mine are 20" from outside to outside).

Breast height is somewhere between his calves and his ankles.  If you estimate a 22" shoulder width for him, use that as a guide on the photo with him adjacent to the tree, measured at his calves.  It works out to be under four shoulder widths wide.  The front view is probably 10" less.  Not quite the 88"; that measurement is taken across a different cross seciton not shown.

I've cut a lot of 48" diameter logs; this one is a whale of lot bigger.

Danny, I'll give you a call if I get the log; all of that offbearing expertise of yours will come in handy! :D  Matter of fact, we ought to host a FF "south" milling party and see if we can pry Jeff and Tammy out of the frozen north!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

kelLOGg

Quote from: scsmith42 on July 05, 2011, 07:08:25 PM
  Matter of fact, we ought to host a FF "south" milling party and see if we can pry Jeff and Tammy out of the frozen north!

Sounds like fun, Scott. Count me in.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Clark

Kudos to you for recommending that he keep it around longer and even giving him the name of a tree care company.  smiley_thumbsup  I find it amazing when landowners are so quick to give up on a tree that has enormous aesthetic value and it's a value you can find out when it comes time to sell your house.

Nice tree that I am sure could tell stories until sunup but I'd rather see it standing upright at the coming of dawn.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Thank You Sponsors!