iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Granberg Filing Guide

Started by bendjoseph, July 01, 2011, 06:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bendjoseph

Does anyone use one?  I am thinking about getting one.

beenthere

bend
I have used one, and also have the Oregon guide which is very similar (if not identical).

What are your thoughts to why you are thinking of getting one?
How are you filing chains now?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ed

The Grandberg or Oregon guides are decent.

Stihl makes 2 versions, both are a huge improvment over the Grandberg, they are priced accordingly. The Stihl versions do show up on ebay once in a while.

Ed

bendjoseph

My dealer went up to $15 to sharpen my chains.  I am touching them up with a hand file.  I was hoping this could replace the dealer sharpening.

beenthere

I was disappointed in the set-up time, the filing time, and the marginal success of getting an accurate filing when using the Oregon filing guide.

I've just improved the hand filing technique, which now includes just the Husqvarna combi-gauge guide, and get a quick, good chain filing. Might someday use the Oregon guide if I get into buried metal or a rock, but now it just sits in the box on the bench.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

Quote from: bendjoseph on July 01, 2011, 04:06:51 PM
My dealer went up to $15 to sharpen my chains. 
Fire that guy .Good grief you can buy a new 20" loop from Baileys cheaper than that .

About the guides ,the one made by Oregon has been around almost forever .It works very well plus it's inexpensive .

bendjoseph

The same guy sold me a chain for $22!

clww

They've gotten high around these parts, too. Sharpening up to a 25" chain goes for between $7 and $9 per loop. Longer chains = more $$$.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Ron Scott

I usually just use the Husky guide that beenthere pictures above and hand file.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!