iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TJ 230 clutch help

Started by madmari, June 30, 2011, 04:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmari

Lost clutch today, right after things got going good. Whole nother story there.

Anybody got any pointers or help with doing a clutch?. I've never done one before and need to get back in business quickly.

Got alot of squealing prior to clutch failure, which I assumed was the throwout bearing.

Any ideas?
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

doghunter

madmari;
which 230 do you have a.b.c.d.? 230d no really big deal pull hood, firewall, floorboard, short upper drive shaft,batteries,grease hose to throwout bearing, hang comealong from top of cab [we run a chain back to the arch to support it ]remove bolts holding reverser box to bell housing slide it back and your looking at the clutchremove pressure plate mounting bolts gradually and evenly and you have it  out. remove and surface the flywheel check flywheel ring gear and your ready to go back just reverse the order of disassembly i like to put never-sieze on the transmission splines for lube and red locktite on the flywheel bolts  just dont force anything with bolts these usually go together pretty easy if everything is lined up
good luck
doghunter

madmari

Thanks Doghunter. I'm counting on your experience to make this go as smooth as possible. Mine is a 230D, so it is fairly straight forward.
  Seems like everything I do turns into a project......I should work for the gov't!

lumberjack48

Don't forget pilot bearing or brass bushing n center of fly wheel, take your time, easy job
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

doghunter

right on lumberjack48
also i pull the air pipes loose and pull the filter can with the firewall sorry working from memory here[ sometimes a weak stick to lean on]also a good time to drain and refill the reverser and transmission
doghunter

madmari

Excuse my ignorance, but do you lift the tranny and reverser box clear to access the bell housing or just slide it back out of the way? I'm sure it will be evident when I get there, but I'll sleep better having a plan of attack at 7:00 am.
  Thank you for the help Gentlemen!

doghunter

madmari;
i have done it either way last time it came out for tranny repairs so we took it all the way out made access to the clutch and flywheel a lot easier  but i dont fit in small places very well either so use your own judgement  i may have missed a few small things but its pretty simple but thats we we keep our 230d's isnt it ?
doghunter

madmari

They are a great machine. This one is a '73; 3-53 runs very well. Can't complain as she's pulled alot of wood without complaint. Hopefully I can get the new clutch in and running before the holiday shutdown.

Thanks again for your help.

madmari

Pulled the clutch in a little over an hour. Went very well thanks to help from Doghunter and Lumberjack48.

Throwout bearing seized and ruined the arms of the pressure plate. Parts will be here Wed  :-\

madmari

Got the clutch installed tonight in a thunderstorm- went really well. Son-in -law is a talented mechanic, helped me out.
Parts were ordered from Aftermarket in New Bern, NC, Really helpful and good service.

Back to work!!!!

Thank You Sponsors!