iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic Fluid in LT40

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, June 29, 2011, 09:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Lost some fluid out the top of my Hydraulic pump today on my LT40. What type of fluid do I add to it to bring it back up to where it's suppose to be?

I saw all the different types in the book, but could not decide what is best. I do not want to drain it....just add to it.

Our weather is in the 90's in the summer and I never saw below the 30's in the winter.

Thanks, David

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

terrifictimbersllc

Last jug I ordered from WM was part number 006397, MV32 hydraulic fluid.  think I asked for the all weather one, wanted to make sure I could saw at 0 degrees F if I wanted to.   Have no doubt this would cover your temp range too.  I would ask Woodmizer which one.

Also if you have a Super Hdraulic with  fluid coming out of the top of a pump this might mean one of your pumps isn't working.  Will sound the same when one runs and not both. The one that isn't running is the one that is overflowing because it isn't pumping down its fluid level and the resupply is equalized to both..
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Dave Shepard

The filter on our Super vibrated loose and I lost a bunch of fluid. I tried sourcing the MV32 but had no luck, so they told me to just top off with ATF.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Brucer

ATF.

It's good for the hydraulic system, oiling the mast, and oiling all the chain drives.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

MartyParsons

Conoco MV32 006397 1 gallon Recommended for:
All-weather applications
Exxon Univis HVI 13 P12822 1 gallon Recommended for:
Cold-weather applications
Amoco Rycon Oil MV P10330 5 gallons Recommended for:
Tropical Applications and Continuous Run Applications

Above is what the manual states. If you only need to add a little, Dextron III will be ok. Some customers just use Dextron III and have had no issues.

If the customer wants a little more speed I add the Univis 13 and it will speed up the pump and the cycle time. It is very thin.

I also add Univis if the customer added AW46 or some other high visc hydraulic oil. So it mixes with the thicker hyd oil and gets them back running again.

I have seen very few hydraulic pump failures. I have only heard of a few most with over 6000 hours.

Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

smwwoody

Our Lt70 has over 13000 hours had the pump replaced at about 100 hrs and has run nothing but ATF ever since with no issues

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thanks, i top it off with ATF this morning and milled all day with no problems. Thanks for the help. David
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Brucer

How to wreck a hydraulic pump:

1) get dirt in the fluid.
2) let the fluid level get too low.

Regarding #2, don't forget there is a lot less fluid in the reservoir when most of the cylinders are fully extended.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!