iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawing cedar

Started by northwoods1, June 29, 2011, 05:45:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

northwoods1

Had a good day yesterday, got finished with the 1st half of an order for some cedar and the customer came and got it. Took me more than a couple days to get this completed :D. It was all 4x4 and 2x4 and it amounted to a good sized load, it totaled to be 4831 bf. The customer was very happy with the quality and that made me very happy :). Today I'll have to rake and bale my 1st crop hay and tomorrow will be spent edging the huge pile of flitches that have accumulated next to the mill and cleaning up around it. Then start on the next 1/2 of this project which will be mostly all 4/4. I am seriously thinking about taking a day or 2 to go fishing before I tie into that though... just can't decide where :)

Ianab

Looks like a good job.

I think it meets the criteria for a "whack" of lumber  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Chuck White

That's a good looking pile of lumber NW1!

Quite a pile of sawdust too!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

I take it you have forks on the Deere? Makes things alot easier. Looks like a good neat stacking job.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishpharmer

All of that lumber milled with a manual mill?  You deserve to go fishing.
Of course, using the Deere made it easy ;).

Is that your hayfield in the background of the last pic (from top)?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

DanG

Well I reckon that was a happy customer!  Who wouldn't be happy to arrive and see their lumber all straight and consistent and stacked so neat?  Good job! :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

trapper

How do you clean up all the sawdust to keep from killing the grass?
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

ladylake

Nice job, I'll second the straight and neat.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Bill Gaiche

Indeed a very nice stack of cedar. Makes you proud im sure. About fishing sometimes you have to just spin the bottle and head in that direction, but do make the best of it. bg

terrifictimbersllc

Monk would surely approve.  :D :D :D  Very inspiring!  8)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

northwoods1

Quote from: thecfarm on June 29, 2011, 06:33:29 AM
I take it you have forks on the Deere? Makes things alot easier. Looks like a good neat stacking job.

There is just a st of pallet forks on the tractor and it sure does make things easier!

Fishfarmer I am not sure how a person would go about milling cedar like this on a hydraulic mill I actually think it would be slower. That is because it is small diameter logs. Their really light though so it isn't a problem handling them on the mill, I normally load a few dozen on the log deck I have made out of I beams from which I can just roll them onto the mill. I sort them all by diameter and have the small end towards the front of the mill. My favorite size to saw was actually the real small ones, 5"-6" small end and nice and straight. I put 3 of those on the mill at one time, put a 1/2" stick under small end to level, open up 1 face to 4", flip 180 degrees and take to final width, flip them side by side and level again, open up to 4", and then make the last cut to 4". That takes about 4 minutes total and yields three clean 4x4 with very little slabs and no waste in about 4 minutes @ $12 per. Or, you could make 2x4 with one more cut. But the trick is to saw more then one log at a time, otherwise it would be really slow. If the diameters are larger like at least 8 or 9" small end I would saw 2 at a time and make 6-8 2x4s. I would like to have a hydraulic mill but probably wouldn't find a use of the hydraulics when sawing this cedar.
That is one of my hay fields in the background of the pics and as it turned out the hay came out nice, we had 80 degrees and windy so my 1st crop all baled up real nice which was a relief. it has just been such a goofy year so far here for weather everything is way behind. Corn will not be knee high but the 4th of July more like ankle high. Now last year it was waist high! Very good year last year got 190 bushels to the acre of corn from my land last year, this year is is green beans and they are still looking good even though they got planted late.

Thank You Sponsors!