iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Granny in the berry patch

Started by pineywoods, June 28, 2011, 07:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

Blueberries are ready. Already got 10 gallons in the freezer. Here's granny in the berry patch doing her thing, early in the morning before it gets too hot.

Here's the morning take. Yummmm

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

jim king

pineywoods :

I have never seen a blueberry bush that big nor did I know they grew in the South.

That is a lot of blueberries.  I bet granny enjoys that.

LeeB

Blueberries make a fantastic wine.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ironwood

We're pickem here (black rasberries, and double bearing reds) We cal lthe three boys 3-4-9 "BERRY BOYS" this time of year. Fresh ones for breakfast and desert after dinner. Yummy.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

thecfarm

Only strawberries are ready here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pineywoods

Quote from: jim king on June 28, 2011, 08:00:58 PM
pineywoods :

I have never seen a blueberry bush that big nor did I know they grew in the South.

That is a lot of blueberries.  I bet granny enjoys that.

Jim, there are several varieties that do well in the deep south. We have about 20 bushes. Most of them are so tall you have to bend the bush over to get all the berries. The wife enjoys picking. It's something she can do using one hand. Holds the bucket between her knees and uses her one good hand to pick. She can keep up with me and I use both hands.  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

jim king

Quoteyou have to bend the bush over to get all the berries

What I had,  I had to pick on my knees as they had a hard time getting 2 feet tall.  What you have is really nice.

SwampDonkey

Some blueberries are what we call black huckleberries and the bushes grow tall like a lilac bush. Flavor varies from cranberry to regular blueberry. Some huckleberries are red like cranberries. These plants are all related vaccinium sp.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Roxie

Bless her heart!   8)   I wish I was there helping her and we'd can some blueberry syrup.  It's divine over ice cream. 
Say when

Patty

Roxie took the words right out of my mouth.......my gramma used to say, "Bless your little pea pickin' heart"     or in your case "Bless her little berry pickin' heart!"     
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Don_Papenburg

I have about 90 plants ,three differant verieties.  We have been picking for about two weeks .  Had to spray today because of the  jap beetles showing up. I have a couple of dirt piles that are covered with butterprint  , that attracts the japbeetles from the beeries. I spray them  with sevin . I'll cut them down when they set flowers . I only have a few plants that are standup pickers  most of them require a bucket seat.  Roxie how is the bluebeery syrup made?
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Roxie

Pretty enough to give as gifts, I always double this recipe, but to can 3 pints of Blueberry syrup:

2 quarts blueberries
2 cups water
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
3 cups sugar
4 cups water
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Crush berries, add 2 cups water and lemon peel.  Simmer 5 minutes.  Drain through several layers of damp cheese cloth (or jelly bag), squeezing to get all the juice and pulp.  Mix sugar with 4 cups water, and boil until slightly thickened.  Add berry juice to sugar syrup and boil 1 minute, then add lemon juice.  Put in jars leaving 1/4 inch head space and process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes. 
Say when

Patty

That sounds wonderful Roxie. I love preparing jams, jellies, syrups and giving them as gifts. I will have to add this recipe to the repertoire .    :)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

LeeB

Needs home made vynilly ice gream to go with it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

isawlogs

Now if any of you great blueberry cooks are in need of vonlunteers to taste or just to sent some off too, I sure can be put on such a list  ;D :) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Don_Papenburg

Thanks Roxie , That sounds like a good place for the not so ripe ones that I tend to pick at times.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

SwampDonkey

Been thinning a section of woods full of blueberry bushes. They are mostly still green, but some are ripe and as big as the end of your finger. I guess we are approaching August, wild blueberry season. These plants are no more than 30 inches high, mostly shorter like Jim remembers. The nice thing about it though, is sitting on a spruce stump and filling your berry dish and hardly a fly in site. ;D

Would have liked to talk to Jim at the Pig Roast.  :-\

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

We were loaded last year at the cabin.
Hoping for a repeat this year in August. :)

pineywoods

Granny has done her thing for the year. Good crop, but they were about 3 weeks early, all gone now, but plenty in the freezer.  ;D

metalspinner

A couple weeks ago one of the older boy scouts had his Eagle scout project up at the top of a mountain and at the end of the trail.  After lugging all of the required stuff up that mountain, I collapsed in heep on the ground. After I caught my breath, I noticed I was right smack in the middle of a wild blueberry patch. 8)  The "bushes" were no more than 5-10 branches coming out of the ground and about 18-24" long.  They sure tasted good.

We have a local blueberry orchard just around the block from me.  The bushes are easily 12 feet high. They have grown together over the years and the paths between themhave formed tunnels.  It's easy to fill up a gallon pale there. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

thecfarm

I will have to check on those blue ones. Blackberries are just starting here. I picked a few quarts the other day. Wanted to go tonight but got busy so first thing in the morning.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Grandfather and I used to do a lot of trout fishing. Some trips it was more exploration of forest roads than fishing. Sometimes, we would go to some burnt land in that glacial sand (I mean some places were just like beach sand, not a stone in it) on the Mirimachi. We used to fill 3 gallon pales of blue berries, just sit on a stump (usually from timber salvage). In the shaded spots the berries were twice as big. One of those bushes loaded could fill a half gallon. No honey bees out there, just bumble bees, wasps and flies. ;D There's places out there that are like sand dunes, only they have spruce, heath and blueberry growing on them. In college we had a stereo triplet of aerial photos and you could see the land was like wind and water had shifted over the land that gave it the look of desert dunes (rippled). But this was forest. ;)

metalspinner

We hit the local blueberry patch this afternoon.  In about 20 minutes, my younger boy and I picked 2 pounds of berries. 8) Cost us a whole $2.80. :D

I think we are all going to go out this weekend to try and get some for the freezer. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!