iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2011 Bear Season

Started by Jeff, June 27, 2011, 10:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shotgun

Jeff, think long and hard.  That one might be a tough drag. ;)
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Magicman

I'd be watching that one closely.  You don't want him to leave any more butterfly bait.   ::)

Anyway, he is a little behind on his job.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

That Jeff sneaks up on you with the video camera. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Texas Ranger

That one would go, what?  300?
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

There's that everythang is bigger Texas thang again.  Nope. I's say closer to 230.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

submarinesailor

Quote from: Jeff on August 27, 2011, 09:29:52 AM
There's that everythang is bigger Texas thang again.  Nope. I's say closer to 230.

Live weight or dressed???

SwampDonkey

If we are talking bears here, I would have to agree, most of the ones in sight range around 200-250 lbs where they are kept in check with sport hunting. Of course there are bigger ones, but they have been a little smarter to survive. The ones under 200 that have been killed aren't too smart. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Its nice when I get some company here. :) I have to head home for a few days to un-pile some work, but  i'll ride back up with Pete and Lynda later in the week.

WDH

That last "bear" was a big one.  Usually, the big ones are tough, so you might want to let that one go  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

This looks like a biggun on the camera this morning, from last evening. Hope he does this during season while I'm in da blind.  I have to go home this morning. Tammy came and got me. :D   I'll catch up some work at home and be back with Pete later in the week. I'll get some more of my programs installed on my laptop when at home so I can work better up here. I didnt bear hunt since I got this computer and did not realize I didn't have what I needed on it. :-\

Norm

What is a good size black bear?

I guess I should be careful about wanting another pest in our area. Yesterday I watched a couple of deer running through the bean field, hate to guess how many bushels of beans they destroyed.

Magicman

That last picture had to peg your excitement needle.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Norm a 400 lb'r would be a pretty big one, but they have been known to go over 600 lbs.

Mooseherder

A friend just sent me pictures of a smaller Black Bear that got hit this morning on Rt. 1 between Caribou and Presque Isle Maine.

When I was just a little children, ( ;D) my father brought me to a place where they were gutting a really big Black Bear.  It had to be a 600 pounder for sure.
They had the front claws tied to a Backhoe and lifted up leaving his hind legs touching the ground.  I remember the miles of intestines they took outta that thing.  That left a lasting impression cause I remember it clearly.

Ron Scott

Looking good! It appears that you have some shooters.
~Ron

Norm

Thanks SD, I had no idea what size they get to.

Ron Scott

This bear passed by my tree stand on 8/23/11 at 3:20pm. Bee keepers in the area have told me about bear raiding their bee hives.  

~Ron

red oaks lumber

when does your bear season start? if they stop coming in regular, that means the white oak acorns have started dropping. around here they work the bait like clock work till the acorns drop then its a crap shoot
  good luck take a couple :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Jeff

There is not an acorn within many many miles of where I am. I know of just a handful of oak trees withing 50 miles of there.  I still have to wait until the 25 of September to hunt. I have bears coming in now everyday, but that is hard to keep going. I can only hope.

red oaks lumber

if there are no acorns, and probably no corn feilds you should be ok. do dog runners have the first season or do sitters?
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Jeff

Sitters first season, dog hunters can start in on the second season, and I have the third season. I have the third, however where I am at there is some very large blocks of private land that does not allow dog hunting. I'm hoping for the best.

treefarmer87

i just saw a big momma and 3 cubs this evening on the way home down here :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

submarinesailor

Quote from: Jeff on August 28, 2011, 08:12:47 PM
I have the third, however where I am at there is some very large blocks of private land that does not allow dog hunting. I'm hoping for the best.

Jeff,

Here in Virginia, you can't not keep the dogs off your land.  They run across my place way up high all the time.  Not too long ago, a dog hunter pulled into my drive way and told me I had to let him go up the mountain and get his dog(s).  My buddy and I told him that's the law - I had to let him get his dog(s).  BUT, his truck was going to stay right there.  I had to let him get his dog, but I did not have to let him drive up the mountain.  Boy was he pi$$ed off.  He got in his truck, turned around and left.  Never saw him again.

Bruce

Jeff

In Michigan, you must allow a dog hunter access to retrieve his dogs if they go on your property, UNLESS they were notified in writing prior to any incident that they would not be allowed. Lucky for me several years ago, the big land owners around me got together and had an attorney draft a letter that was sent to all of the known dog hunters in that area that had previously been "retrieving dogs" from private property.

It was a well known fact that there were several guys that would find a bear track in this area and set the dogs off no matter where it was because of this legal excuse to enter the land to get the dogs back. These events happened several years ago up there and caused quite a rift in the community, but time has healed most of those, and now I'm a benefactor of those events.

isawlogs

Norm , do yourself a favor and go hunt da bear else where , ya don't need a family og them in your bean patch  >:(  They will eat there heart out theen roll in what they did not touch flatening an acre of it real quick, if one does ever come up shoot it and eat it   ;)  Trust me bears and beans/cereals don't do well together , well they do , but ain't good for your blood pressure  ::) ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!