iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Verifying gassification in the EC-2300

Started by buckgrunt, June 24, 2011, 05:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckgrunt

I am new to the FF and I have enjoyed reading postings about wood burning.  I recently finished my first year with my E-classic 2300 (wood only).  I am surprised to hear about some of the problems associated with this unit as I had a very good experience with mine this past winter.  I did a spring clean up and found no creosote build-up behind the solenoids. I did find a warp/crack in my fusion combuster (FC) and my dealer immediately replaced it with an upgrade and I installed it. Does anyone have any experiences with the new FC ?

Also throughout this past winter, I found an easy way to check for gassification.  While the unit is running (high or low), I simply remove the rear chimney access cover and I place an ear real close to the opening.  If I hear that beautiful roaring sound, gassification is going on. This is always followed by the heat waves coming out of chimney stack......

doctorb

Buckgrunt -

First, welcome to the Forum.  It's a great place to hone your OWB skills and get help troubleshooting.  I, too, have a 2300.  Mine has been through 2 full winters to date.

Never tried checking gasification that way.  I listen with the door open and the door switch depressed, so the fans are on.  You can hear the stove move into gasification mode as the coals heat up.  I do this after loading.  I am sure that you are hearing the roar of gasification with your method.  Aren't you a little worried about burning your ear off? :D ;D
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

stumper

Welcome.

Burning your ear off.  Doc, I am surprised you put a laughing face instaed of $$$.   ;D

I normally check for gasification by spinning the fusion chamber door nuts back a little and cracking it.  If it roars I am good.  If it does not I remove the door and check the ash level, as that is normally the reason I am not gasifying.  If I am having problems I leave the door loose until I fix it. 

doctorb

Stumper -

I am a dumb carpenter, not a plastic surgeon. :)
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

hockeyguy

Another vote for opening the fusion chamber door a crack

Dean186

I am able to hear the roar of combustion as I approach the furnace a few feet away and it is pretty easy to hear standing next to it with all doors closed.  It may be that the 1400 when in combustion mode is louder or it could be my ears. 

Thank You Sponsors!