iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

birds eye walnut pic included

Started by GAmillworker, June 24, 2011, 04:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAmillworker

Milled some walnut flooring for a client.  Had never seen birds eye walnut. this is a piece I kept.

Thank the Lord for second chances

wood monger

Are those birdseyes or some kind of bughole?

GAmillworker

That's birds eye best I can tell.  It was throughout the whole tree.  Someone told me it is a fungus that causes the tree to grow this way.

SwampDonkey

It's certainly possible, and I would rule out sapsucker because it's too random. Bugs like to make galleries mainly in sapwood and just under the bark. Nice find.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

Can't tell for sure, but the characters look like they have included bark.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

That is odd.  Never seen anything like it.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

inspectorwoody

I see that from time to time.

It is a bark pocket..."A bark-filled blemish in the board."

We sort it out from the normal grade. I believe it is going towards flooring at this time.

Kansas

I have never seen that in walnut. Saw the exact same thing in a white oak log years ago.We didn't even know we had something valuable.

Magicman

I would be thinking of a very special woodworking project for it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ironwood

I mill a fair bit o walnut and I too think it is a bark inclusion injury. For me it has not happened but on one face, but all the way up that side. No real curl associated with it, , just bark and color variation. I don't view it as anything special.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

SwampDonkey

Seems odd though, unless that dark heart was in an injured area. Lots of unknowns and untold details. ;)

Sometimes bunch knots can occur in timber from dormant buds under the bark or from epicormic branches that may have an eye look, but not the same deal.

Sitka spruce is common with bunch knots and may lower grade.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

GAmillworker

Here are some pic's of the flooring. the second pic is the center of his little kitchen where he book matched a few of the pieces.

metalspinner

Wow!  That's, crazy! 

There's an alien coming out of the floor in the second pic. :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

DRB

While that does not look like the birdseye one sees in maple it sure us pretty that is some highly figured walnut!  Looks like $25 a board foot stuff to me.

Jeff

Quote from: Ironwood on June 26, 2011, 04:30:35 PM
I don't view it as anything special.

Ironwood

Change your mind after he posted the photos? ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

It's definitely highly figured, I would not call it bark inclusion myself. ;)  8)

Nice!!  Donald Trump never saw anything like that. :)

mad murdock

Make a nice executive desk out of that stuff, and you could sell it for major$$!  That is some nice looking wood there!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

tyb525

I have some hard maple with bark inclusions like that. Not really birdseye but still beautiful in it's own way.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

oakiemac

That is fantastic looking flooring. I just milled a bunch of Red oak that has very similar "birdseye". I was going to post a pic after it is dried. I have never seen anything like it.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

No matter what causes it, there is and always will be a demand for the unusual.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GAmillworker

Thanks for the comments.  This walnut was in with about 10,000. bdft of other walnut I bought with my client.  It was only two logs maybe 15% of the load.  The supplier says he has more however he wont seperate it and only sells full loads.  I think the last one cost us $45,000.

Ironwood

Sorry, I didnt mean to be rude, just giving my honest opinion.

Like I said, I mill alot of walnut (not tractor trailer loads) but I have seen some odd stuff out there.  After the third pic, it is maple, honey locust,...etc...

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Ron Wenrich

I've seen the same type of occluded bark in chestnut oak on occasion.  Its generally one tree, and its in every log.  It runs all the way through the lumber.  I always figured it to be some sort of genetics.  It would be strange to only see it as a rarity in a stand if it were some sort of disease or insect.   
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dodgy Loner

That is some special walnut, I don't care who ya are. The first picture didn't do it justice, but the pictures of the finished floor are eye-popping :o
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Thank You Sponsors!