iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slab Wood uses

Started by ATLGA, June 23, 2011, 05:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ATLGA

I have piles of slab wood that the firewood guys haven't picked up as usual. What do you guys usually do with these large sections of usable wood? Just looking for some suggestions. Its all mostly hardwood.
America First.

Tom

Things people have done with my slab wood include:
benches, stools, stair treads, hand rails, bowl blanks, fence rails, deer stands, fireplace mantels, pen blanks, axe handles, compost and firewood.

customsawyer

If none of that works you can have a big bonfire.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

I sell mine pretty cheap to get rid of it.  It is aggravating to me as firewood since I would rather use thicker round wood.  It can deteriorate pretty fast.  I have had good luck with selling it on Craigslist, but you may be generating too much for that.

Great for campfires, cookouts, and like Jake said, bonfires.  That might not work too well in Atlanta  :).  

The big mills chip the slabs and sell the chips to the pulpmills since they debark their logs before sawing.  They have been several recent posts where Forum members have built racks so that they can cut the slabs to firewood length more easily.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

r.man

Hardwood slabs are fairly valuable here since not many places produce them anymore. Too many debarkers and chippers. They are a sought after supply of firewood especially if they are bundled into trailer size loads. If I had access to slabwood I wouldn't buy logs. The last small circle mill that produced hardwood slabs around here had people coming 50 miles to pick up bundles. Was about a third of the price of wood logs.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

cutterboy

I heat my house with the hardwood slabs I produce. I find them excelent firewood. I also find it satisfying to use the whole tree.

To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Kevin

I couldn't give them away, put an ad in the local .com and I had a guy that was going to drive a hundred miles to buy them elsewhere.
He offered to buy breakfast and I offered to donate the slabs.
He uses them for fencing.
There's a market for them, you just have to advertise until you get a bite.

Magicman

Sometimes slabs get out of hand and you have to do what you have to do.

You can do this and make someone happy.   ;D

Or you can do this and get rid of them.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

we bundle and sell every one we make, people even come and take our rippings and end cut drops. we even sell all the sawdust and shavings we produce
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Ax- man

My wife and I recently took a holiday in the middle of the week to take in a big flea market. There was a guy with a booth selling slabs for $10 to $20 bucks each depending on the wood. I wasn't impressed myself with the slabs but he was selling a few along with oddball shaped pieces of wood like crotch cuts from the side of a log. He even put varnish on a rotten piece of of overaged piece of firewood trying to sell that for $ 10 bucks.

I don't have a problem with slabs. At least not now anyway. But I have probaly thrown away some good spending money from our firewood scraps from the odball pieces that I could never find a market for.

At least he did give me some ideas after talking to him. 

shinnlinger

WHat about making them into something as a value added product?  If you had down time and you were counting on your mill to put food in your belly, I would  consider it.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Don_Papenburg

Cut them real thin and make  boxes for berries ;)
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

doghunter

bundle them and sell them to campgrounds

Thank You Sponsors!