History of RR?

Started by Brad_bb, June 22, 2011, 10:37:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

So how did the RR thing come about?  I read the company info on line, but what is the actual story?
I really like the product.  I think it's about 55% applicator that I like for me, and 45% the lubricant.

Don't you just hate it when you leave your little applicator of RR sitting on the mower deck, not see it there, then go out to mow and have the applicator vibrate off the deck and then run it over with the mower?!  Looks like I'll be ordering more in the near future.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

tyb525

Yeah, I need to get the big bottle, I tend to lose the little bottle for days at a time ::)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

SwampDonkey

I keep some in my tool sack for the saw throttle cable. Thinking I need to add a few drops in the morning for the year.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mike_P.

The present Rust Reaper evolved from a formula for a firearms lubricant, combined with a conveyor lube.  We've made several changes, adding synthetics, from there to make it safer and to add to the lubricity and high temperature capabilities. 

A number of the ingredients in Rust Reaper are derived from tall oil, giving us another connection with the forestry business.

Mike

Tom

Tall Oil ?

I had to go look that up.  I was familiar with the term, Black Liquor, but Tall Oil (tallol) is new to me.

It's a result of the refinement of Black Liquor from the Kraft paper making process, involving mostly conifers, that produces TOFA (tall oil fatty acids) used as an emulsifier in lubricants, soaps, varnishes, adhesives and used in drilling fluids.

*paraphrased from the Wikipedia article.

I feel smarter already. ;D

SwampDonkey

There is a lot of stuff you don't realize that comes from the modern paper making process(es). And I'm not the one to ask about them, but as you say, an eye opener. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

At the pulpmill that I worked at for many years, we called it tall oil soap.  Black liquor comes to the Evaporators at 15% solids.  After evaporation, the liquor is 65% solids, mostly dissolved lignin from the wood plus the sodium and sulfur chemicals used to digest the wood to release the cellulose.  At a certain stage in the evaporation of the black liquor, this soap forms.  It looks like axle grease, and is just as slick.  It is pumped into rail tankcars and sold as a by product.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

It's a good fit for the Irvings here because they are also in the oil refining business. They have over 300 companies and I can bet a lot of them are integrated. This includes rail road (Southern NB RR) and trucking (Sunbury Transport).