iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

fill me in on log stops/dogs

Started by mikeb1079, June 18, 2011, 09:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeb1079

hey fellas i'm building my own bandsaw mill and i'm to the point where i need to come up with a design for log stops and some sort of dogging system.  i'm familiar with a few designs but not sure which way to go.  would any of you guys mind posting some pics of your setups and commenting on what you like or don't like about it?  any help would be appreciated.  i'll try to upload some pics...
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

mikeb1079

here's my track so far, it's 2x6 for the main rails and 2x4 for the cross pieces.  it'll have an axle under it soon.  got it all cut and tacked today.

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/20751/3138/thumb_004.JPG

wow, that's the tiniest picture ever.  sorry bout that...
homebuilt 16hp mill

beenthere

Quote from: mikeb1079 on June 18, 2011, 10:06:38 PM
here's my track so far, it's 2x6 for the main rails and 2x4 for the cross pieces.  it'll have an axle under it soon.  got it all cut and tacked today.

wow, that's the tiniest picture ever.  sorry bout that...

Take the thumb_ out of the link and add the brackets on each end of the line with img, will make a nice large pic from the tiny one. Click on quote to see the link line without the pic

Nice track so far. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mikeb1079

thanks for that beenthere.  i'll get er next time....
homebuilt 16hp mill

bandmiller2

Mike,you need two types of log stops low fixed, and higher ones that swing up.The low ones are something like 5/8" high to catch the edge of cants and allow you to cut down to 1" last board.The swing up stops are used to handle and flip logs and cants,I made mine 11" high. [so I can cut to 12" without worry] Build them heavy and able to swing down out of the way and aligned with the solid stops. 95% of my clamping is done with a two plain clamp hydraulic operation also used to turn logs and cants.Sorry on the picture thing Mike your ahead of me on that. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

Here's mine.

A very simple design if you could see it work.The dog slides along a piece of square tubing and the long piece of metal is the handle.Just turn it towards the log or cant and it bites in and takes. The stops are just pieces of square tubing inside of another square. They drop down when not needed. there is a sharp point that keep the back side of the cant in place. More picture in my gallery. Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dalrymple

Bump.  I was hoping to see more pictures.  I'm going to be doing this soon too.

robnrob2

I've got pictures in my album,,
You would need to get your mill up on axles, but like on my machine my fences/logstops,, rise vertical via a chain connected,,
What size is that square tubing on your frame,, looks like 4",,, no,,, maybe it looks like 6",, if so, that is stout enough to hang a set of axles on it, saves bending over too.

In this picture you can see one of the fences how it goes streight up...

tcsmpsi

These are fairly simple, but work quite well.  The first pic is in their new condition, with the clamp showing as would be in the clamped condition.  

This is a shot of them on the mill, as can be seen, they will rotate as a unit 180 degrees, helping to make them pretty versatile.  

Just a shot of a typical use.

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

mikeb1079

excellent pics guys thanks.  will be working on mill this weekend, good to see different designs.  robnrob i'll be putting an axle under it for sure.  i'd like to be portable and i'm sure my neighbors would like that too!  :D
i'll post pics of my progress.  i've got some 30" walnut logs to cut!   8)
homebuilt 16hp mill

Thank You Sponsors!