iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Torsion axle for an LT15?

Started by VT-Woodchuck, June 18, 2011, 07:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VT-Woodchuck

I want to make my LT15 mobile. I have considered a boat trailer, a large utility trailer, etc. I am now thinking of a 2000 lb torsion axle which can be easily attached when necessary for travel. A trailer hitch will be fabricated for the front. Has anyone done this? And what are you ideas?
TIA

MartyParsons

Hello,
Are you wanting to saw on the trailer or lower the LT15 to the ground. How old is the LT15? Wood-Mizer does make a trailer kit for the LT15.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

VT-Woodchuck

Thanks, Marty.  Not to saw on, just transport. The mill is two years old. The WM kit is a little steep for my wallet so I'm hoping to come up with something cheaper that will fit the bill.

shelbycharger400

you could always go to a local car salvage yard and pick up a car trailing axle.  their is thousands of old k car mopars, but the heavy duty ones are in the late 80's early 90's caravans.  if i remember right, its a 3 or 3 1/4 round tube with leaf spring, most of these can be had for 50 to 100 bux with the wheels.   

Tom L

I put a torsion axle on a boat trailer I made a few years ago. it worked out nice, smooth ride
and only 4 bolts per side to attach, you can buy them with hubs assembled and a very big choice of centers to bolt them up to.

Jeremy2200

Im not real good at downloading pics but if you go to my profile i have pictures of my lt15 i built a trailer for. I have about 500 or so in the trailer. That is much better than what woodmizer wants for one. If you have any questions let me know. The trailer is 4"channel under the bed section with an axle welded to the the chanel

Thank You Sponsors!