iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bandmill Log Dogs

Started by rbarshaw, January 05, 2004, 08:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbarshaw

;DI've built a bandmill based on all info I could find on the internet.  :-/The only thing I could not find is any good descriptions of log dogs.  :PAny help there?

:o'Spose I should have said " log dogs and clamps"?
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Haytrader

rbarshaw,

Send me your E mail adress in a PM and I will send you some pics of the dogs on my mill. They work very well.
Haytrader

Furby

Jeff

Quoterbarshaw,

Send me your E mail adress in a PM and I will send you some pics of the dogs on my mill. They work very well.

Are they patented or top secret or sumpthun? I wanna see em too.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Furby

Jeff, don't you remember the "Log DOGS"???

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

cluckerplucker

Haytrader  I am in the orpcess of building dogs and I have been podering over several way. I hav thought of getting 3/4 in pipe slide clamps.Welding 3/8 flat stock to them and mounting 3/4 in pipe at several locations on the mill frame .You would slide it up to the log and turn the flat stock piece ub and wedge lock it .After you have a cant cut you turn the flat stock down and just a 1/2 in lip of the pipe clamp would hold the cant. What do you think ?   cecil
cecil

Haytrader

But Jeff,

I have yet to take the time to figure out the picture thing and I can zip stuff on regular E mail all day long.
No secrets here..........well.......I ain't tellin ya the combination to the safe.....

8)  8)
Haytrader

D._Frederick

cluncker,
The 3/4 pipe is not ridged enough and bends too easily.

rbarshaw

Haytrader  I am in the orpcess of building dogs and I have been podering over several way. I hav thought of getting 3/4 in pipe slide clamps.Welding 3/8 flat stock to them and mounting 3/4 in pipe at several locations on the mill frame .You would slide it up to the log and turn the flat stock piece ub and wedge lock it .After you have a cant cut you turn the flat stock down and just a 1/2 in lip of the pipe clamp would hold the cant. What do you think ?   cecil

This is what I have right now, works good, but haven't tried any large logs yet, i'm worried the pipe will bend.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!

ARKANSAWYER

These are my log dawgs.
This one is LBJ.

This is Runt.

They do a fine job and I have not lost a log yet.  They even eat the white grubs in the logs when I am sawing.  My customers love them and they have even "marked" the tires on the FF truck. ;D
ARKANSAWYER

ADfields

;DAll right Jeff, hear is Haytrader's dogs! ;D   And they look like a good way to go. ;)

Haytrader

Thanks Andy,

I swear I will figure the picture posting out this winter, when the weather gets ugly and I have to stay in, if it ever does.
My dogs have yet to mark anyones tires....... :D
Haytrader

Norm

Just cause I told the story about you and the Mrs. sitting on the bench you won't send any pictures to me huh, hey did you get the Europeon version of the Dodge Durango commercial to open. What a hoot, Patty and I about rolled on the floor laughing.

D._Frederick

Hay..-
Nice looking dogs, should not bend, but I have one question. If you have a larger log, does the dog lever get in the way of the carriage, since it sticks straight out?

Larry

Haytrader,
I like your dogs.  Look well built and sturdy to me.  "D" does have a point on the clamps.  I have similar ones but the arm comes off.  What kind of mill do you have?

Finally got a pic of my log dog guarding the mill and probably waiting for a bone.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

cluckerplucker

Hay trader !  I just figured out how to post a flick .The program that came with the Olympus camera.Go to resize.and reduce the size down to 60x40 pixils,give it a new name and send to your picture file .  cecil
cecil

cluckerplucker

I screw up I had to get it small to post . But why did it stay small? When I tried to keep it 20% larger it told me I was 22450 and I could not be larger then 15000. So tell me what I did wrong.  How wbout it Tom.   cecil
cecil

ADfields

You got to get that image optimizer from www.xat.com and compress the file size with it.  

Tom made a thing spelling it all out but you have 90% of it right so it may be info overload for you.  
Look at. https://forestryforum.com/upload.htm  
Or you can get there from the "Forum Tools" bar at the top of the pages hear.

The part you missed is the compressing the file size, tom's step number five on that link.   You use the image optimizer to make the file small enough to fit and still have a pic that is large enough to see.   What you see is what you get, the Forum don't blow it back up.    It's not near as hard as it sounds once you get the stuff to work with.   Once you get the program if you have trouble with it give a holler, glad to walk past the first one. ;)   More pix is more better! ;D
Andy

pappy

My Log Dog is a sullkin kuz it be to DanG cold out side sumpin like -60F (w/ wind chill) ans we's can't be cuttin no logs and just ta hangin round da mill I be bummin real bad

dad can we just go fer a ride anyways? can we can we please please?? :(  :(  :(

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Haytrader

Norm,  I didn't think you would like to see pics of a green manual mill since you have a hydraulic orange squeezer.
 ;)

D,   No, they do not get in the way at all. The half moon has been sharpened a bit so it actually cuts into the log with a little pressure. You can tighten it and have the handle parellel with the log.

Larry,  The mill is an Oliver, made in Arkansas. It has the sliding peice on four bunks so the dogs can be moved. They will raise about a foot or go as low so I can leave a one inch board.
Haytrader

rbarshaw

I've found how to use 3/4" pipe and pipe clamps, just mount a piece of 2 by wood a few inches to one side of the pipe to take the weight of the log, then your 3/4" pipe won't get bent if you drop a heavy one on it.

DextorDee

If ya running Winxp  there is a image resizer on the microsoft web site that is real easy to use.
Download imageResizer.exe ,install ..Jus right click on the image, slect resize pictures. I use the 240 X 320, click ok, the program creates a resized copy of the image.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp

shado the log dog

Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

cluckerplucker

I thank you for the info Dexter Lets see if I can make it work?

cecil
cecil

tawilson

Thank you for the image resizer tip. I was looking for one for someone on another forum the other day and couldn't find one. Never thunk of Powertoys.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Haytrader

DextorDee

Useing your instruction..........

.........I think I finally posted a picture.... Yahoooooo
I'll be dangerous now........ :D

Haytrader

Thank You Sponsors!